Subaru WRX Club Sighting

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
Last night we were over by Woodfield mall leaving Old Navy, when I noticed about 15-25 WRX's all hanging out. As I pulled up, they looked kind of cool, but it began to rain... so they were starting to leave.

Of course I was in RECON mode. I asked a few guys if they were with a club, and I got one that nodded his said yes... and then the other, how sarcastically started to say, no, we just met here coincidentally... but I interupted him and said do you guys have a website, as I want to read up on them... he mumbled hi speed.net or high rev.net... he kind of pissed me off, and as usaul the guy with the biggest mouth doesn't even have a car... as he gets in his buddies back seat.

Anybody know about this local club? I have seen one flyin around the Roselle area that actually sounds very healthy... but I haven't had my car, or I would have chased him down by now...

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
13.21! Run! Run! Hide from that car! LOL...

I don't understand the brand loyalty attitude. I don't look down on someone because they have a different brand car than I do. Like Ford or Subaru or any other car company is loyal to us? I just want the QUICKEST, most fun, most reliable, QUICKEST sports car that I can afford. When I was ready to buy, the Terminator was the car I chose. No regrets from me. :D

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Mar 4, 2004
Hey! What's wrong with 13.2? At least running a 13 STOCK? :D

How does it go? There's two types of car enthusiasts. Those who respect everyone's personal choice of vehicle for what it is and what it does for them. And those who blindly hump a single brand because it's what they chose to play with.

Flatliner

Mar 3, 2004
13.2 is very respectable... I mean that can be very consistent with AWD, against a stock Cobra it comes down to the driver really. I agree that it shouldn't matter race fanatics are race fanatics... oh well just need the weather to be nice so I can teach them a lesson!

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
The WRX I encountered on the street didn't impress me from a roll. I easily pulled away. I actually thought the guy wasn't racing until I saw how far we had pulled away from other traffic. I think the AWD helps them get a jump from a standing start but the Cobras out horsepower them bad. 13.2 IS respectable. I'm just spoiled by my car. :biggthump

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Mar 4, 2004
Flyn high again said:
Victor,
MotorTrend says [email protected] so we're going 5-7 mph faster at the end of the 1/4 mile and steadily pulling away from there.

That time is bullsh***t, (unlike other MT times, hint hint), there hasn't been an L around who has lost to a Subaru, and I will put my stock money against any stock Sub all day long. My intel says they're running high 13's at best.
'

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
They have a Cobra coupe at 13.0@110 which is pretty close to what an average driver should be able to run. Of course, all the 13.2 means is that that driver and that car ran 13.2 that day. I will say from the way I pulled away from a WRX STi that they would have to be really wailing on it to get a 13.2 1/4 mile. Also remember that Evan Smith ran a 12.4 or so with a stock Cobra. There can be big variations in magazine times.

SNK BITN

Regular
Mar 10, 2004
Umm, if you've spent the money my cuz has you guys would be pushin well over 500HP and in the 11's, thats a pathetic time for a heavily modded Rex. He's no slouch of a driver either, he used to have a twin'd RX7 in the 11's so he knows whats up. The WRX just doesnt seem to enjoy the 5K rpm launches, which it needs in order to run anything respectable.

Flatliner

Mar 3, 2004
A few pics I shot off when I saw them leaving...

Sorry couldn't get the camera out quick enough and the lighting was bad.

Attachments

• DSC01068.jpg
    DSC01068.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 94

BrianH

Jul 18, 2004
I think that I may have been the one that you talked to but I wouldn't have mentioned anything about any team/club. It's a lot of the subaru crowd, but we get much more than just subarus up there. If I remember correctly you were riding with a lady riding shotgun. I was on a little midget bike :)

We really don't have 'racing' teams there, if you want those goto the hooters across the street on a wednesday night. I've never heard of highspeed or hi-rev . . then again I don't pay much attention to any of that.

Was your name jim/john? I don't remember. You made one circle with the cobra then came down one of the far lanes where I talked to you.

-b

Flatliner said:
Last night we were over by Woodfield mall leaving Old Navy, when I noticed about 15-25 WRX's all hanging out. As I pulled up, they looked kind of cool, but it began to rain... so they were starting to leave.

Of course I was in RECON mode. I asked a few guys if they were with a club, and I got one that nodded his said yes... and then the other, how sarcastically started to say, no, we just met here coincidentally... but I interupted him and said do you guys have a website, as I want to read up on them... he mumbled hi speed.net or high rev.net... he kind of pissed me off, and as usaul the guy with the biggest mouth doesn't even have a car... as he gets in his buddies back seat.

Anybody know about this local club? I have seen one flyin around the Roselle area that actually sounds very healthy... but I haven't had my car, or I would have chased him down by now...

BrianH

Jul 18, 2004
They're not flying quarter mile cars like the cobra, that's for sure. They are however fun cars, and you're right the awd pretty much only helps down low then hurts up high. Wrx vs. cobra? haha, even with a bad driver with no launch the cobra would walk on the wrx. They may run 14.2 with a awesome driver stock. WRX may have a shot if there's 3" of snow, that's about it.

Flyn high again said:
The WRX I encountered on the street didn't impress me from a roll. I easily pulled away. I actually thought the guy wasn't racing until I saw how far we had pulled away from other traffic. I think the AWD helps them get a jump from a standing start but the Cobras out horsepower them bad. 13.2 IS respectable. I'm just spoiled by my car. :biggthump

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Subarus

Victor,

It's always cool to see a dozen or more performance cars of any brand together (like when we all get together). I had a few kills this weekend (one against a Bullitt Mustang I MUST post in the kill section) and one on Saturday afternoon against a WRX STI. Hope you don't mind me latching on this thread, but it seems like a good place for this story.

I lined up a shiny black STI on North Ave. (nice cement launching pad) going westbound. I was dying to see if my Nittos could keep me close on the launch. Unfortunately, traffic turning in front of us (damn red arrow runners :argue: ) blocked him when we got the green. I pulled out slowly and waited for him to get a clear path. All of a sudden I hear a full throttle STI in my blind spot. As he approches my door I punched it (middle of 2nd gear). He had a good speed advantage to start, but only pulled a car or two before I erased his pull and started reeling him back in.....and quick. I was at his door and pulled third. I lifted near the top of third with about a three car advantage (hard to judge looking in the rearview mirror). He rolled up next to me a short time later just shaking his head in disbelief. :eek3: Very nice STI, but I think it was bone stock (we didn't get a chance to chat).

Much later we we still cruising in traffic together (south on Randall) when traffic cleared again. I think he thought I was following him since we were together for about 12 miles, but I was just heading home. Anyway he went screaming through the S-turn on Randall south of Geneva figuring he'll show me his AWD handling. I was glued to his bumper thoughout (even with the Nitto DRs on the back). So much for the "but Cobras can't handle" theory.

My first encounter with an STI was a successful one. Just thought I'd share.

1badass96gt

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2004
The WRX are awesome cars. They are one of the few 4cyl that I like. I don't even hate rice cars as long as they are actually some speed, and not all wings and exhaust. There is a group of guys around here I can't stand though. I don't know if anyone has seen them around. They hang out in Crete, and go to Miami Subs a lot. They are a bunch of SRT-4's, and a kid in a WRX that says "IEatMustangs.Com" on the back of his car. They sit and rev the shit out of their engines non-stop in parking lots. At the track they won't race anyone else. And the kid with the sticker on his WRX runs 14.2/14.3 and has never ran a mustang once. Sorry, got a little carried away

But, so you know I don't hate rice as a group, I hate them on individuals basis.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
1badass96gt said:
The WRX are awesome cars. They are one of the few 4cyl that I like. I don't even hate rice cars as long as they are actually some speed, and not all wings and exhaust. There is a group of guys around here I can't stand though. I don't know if anyone has seen them around. They hang out in Crete, and go to Miami Subs a lot. They are a bunch of SRT-4's, and a kid in a WRX that says "IEatMustangs.Com" on the back of his car. They sit and rev the shit out of their engines non-stop in parking lots. At the track they won't race anyone else. And the kid with the sticker on his WRX runs 14.2/14.3 and has never ran a mustang once. Sorry, got a little carried away

But, so you know I don't hate rice as a group, I hate them on individuals basis.

Ironically I cruised down to the so-called cruise night in Crete last (Thursday?) week. Didn't see any fast cars cruising, but I passed an intersection (going east on some road) and on the left (NE corner of the intersection) was a lot and all I heard was revving, chirping tires, etc. All small cars, but it was dark and I couldn't see what types. With all the noise, I'm suprised the cops let them hang there.

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Mar 4, 2004
1badass96gt said:
They are a bunch of SRT-4's, and a kid in a WRX that says "IEatMustangs.Com" on the back of his car. They sit and rev the shit out of their engines non-stop in parking lots. At the track they won't race anyone else. And the kid with the sticker on his WRX runs 14.2/14.3 and has never ran a mustang once. Sorry, got a little carried away

WTF is up with those guys!? I saw them in Tinley at Steak N Shake a few weeks ago. That WRX isn't an STI. That @ssmonkey had his engine open and it was dirty as hell, definitely no mods to be seen. But big, 3 inch lettering with I Eat Mustangs on the back. I saw those SRT-4's, every couple of inches they'd cruise by you would hear the BOV dump. They were talking crap to a bunch of GT's up there, but wanted nothing to do with the L. I hate ricers.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info