Anyone into Japanese food (sushi, etc).

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
I just got back from lunch at the sushi bar. I'm sick of eating sushi alone and once and a while there's someone cool at the sushi bar to chat with (after all, the sushi bar is about community!). :alcoholic

Is there anyone here that enjoys the hardcore japanese food like I do? I draw the line at Fugu (poisonous blowfish). Sushi, sashimi .... yummy Unagi, etc.

I go to a place called Little Tokyo in Homewood. I know there's another place in the south burbs called G-In off 183rd and Harlem that's supposed to be good, too.

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
Good sushi is usually expensive, takes time to prepare, and to like sushi you have to really enjoy all kinds of seafood to begin with. For example, I had a "cheap" lunch for $20. A large meal would be around $50+ at Little Tokyo. Places in downtown chicago are far more expensive. Then there's "omakasi" which means "will of the chef". You set a price, say $100, and the itamae will prepare you $100 worth of the freshest fish and it gives the itamae a chance to show off his skills.

I never thought I'd like it - but I got hooked. I have had bad sushi. If the fish is more than 2-3 days old, it's not good and that stuff should be thrown away. Little Tokyo has their fish flown in 6 days a week.

Then my other favorite foods:

Mexican (not taco bell!), Chinese (use chopsticks or ELSE!), Greek (Xafias Souvlaki, Saganaki, Calamari!), Thai, pizza, chicago style foods (ie. hot dogs, italian beef).... white castles ... hehe.

CobraSusie said:
Chinese, Mexican, italian... but no Sushi for me,
I have tried it at different places, just don't like it :dunno:

oh yeah .. and i always feel GREAT for the next 24 hours after eating sushi. More energy, more mojo, etc :cool1:

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
That's a little far for me. I live in SW Chicago and work in the south burbs close to NW Indiana. So downtown Chicago or south burbs for me!

Flatliner said:
Sushi is great... if you are ever out in the Wood Dale area there is Kampai in Des Plaines and then there is Yuesun in Wood Dale... I would be up for it. I work in Bensenville so could meet ya, just shoot me a PM.

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
Flatliner said:
Sushi is great... if you are ever out in the Wood Dale area there is Kampai in Des Plaines and then there is Yuesun in Wood Dale... I would be up for it. I work in Bensenville so could meet ya, just shoot me a PM.

Kampai kicks ass! I work real close to there, and our boss takes us there for special occasions....

Though we usually avoid the sushi bar, I much prefer cooked food. :p

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I like Sushi........as bait for real fool. LOL. Nothing wrong with Sushi a little grillin' wouldn't fix. If you knew Sushi like I know Sushi
music-smiley-013.gif
I'm on a roll....:D

If you like Mexican, Buenos Nachos on La Grange Road just North of Route 30 across the street from McDonalds in Frankfort has THE BEST! Their Burritos rock. :headbang: For seafood, I like the grilled garlic shrimp from Outback. Mmmmm...

cobravenom39

GTL>FLA
Mar 1, 2004
I love sushi

The place Victor is talking about in woodale has awesome sushi, and it comes around on a train. It is that expensive there, either. Vic, if ya ever wanna go, I'm down.

Mike, when I'm on the south side i'll join ya. I went to high school at Marian Catholic for high school and Homewood is pretty close to my parents' in Frankfort.

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
I'm wary of suburban Mexican food. I eat the hardcore stuff in my neighborhood where the burritos are the size of your head and the pork and steak just rock. My rule is: If they don't have orchata (rice water) or chorizo (mexican sausage), they are not a real mexican restaurant.

Flyn high again said:
I like Sushi........as bait for real fool. LOL. Nothing wrong with Sushi a little grillin' wouldn't fix. If you knew Sushi like I know Sushi
music-smiley-013.gif
I'm on a roll....:D

If you like Mexican, Buenos Nachos on La Grange Road just North of Route 30 across the street from McDonalds in Frankfort has THE BEST! Their Burritos rock. :headbang: For seafood, I like the grilled garlic shrimp from Outback. Mmmmm...

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
If you mean that brown stuff bubbling away, they have it. The family who runs it is Mexican. This is where all the landscapers stop to eat. There are things I don't understand on their menu. Their burritos are gigantic with quality steak and fresh veggies. It's not like an "El Famous" or one of the other Americanized places. Far superior. Try it out if you're in the area and see what you think.

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
El Famous americanized? The one by me is hardcore, they hardly understand english and they have scary stuff on the menu like cow tongue burritos and tacos lol....

I went to El Famous in Orland Park once and it was horrible, so i know what you mean.

Brown bubbling stuff? Uhh .. no.... ? Chorizo is spicy ground pork sausage, it's an option like steak, pork, chicken, beef, tongue, breaded steak, fish, brains, etc.... and it's made into a burrito, flauta, enchilada, taco, torta....

There's a new place near me called Zacas Tacos - Authentic Char-grilled tacos. It ROCKS. The pork is spinning on a gyro spit and specially spiced, onion on top, pineapple on bottom. ... awesome steak. The steak is fresh as is gets, they put whole steaks on the grill, season them with spices and limes right in front of you, chop it up with a butcher knife, and dump it right into whatever you ordered. The chicken is prepared the same way there. Most authentic mexican chicken is white and dark meat with gizzards and all... they use almost all parts of the chicken right off the bone.

Flyn high again said:
If you mean that brown stuff bubbling away, they have it. The family who runs it is Mexican. This is where all the landscapers stop to eat. There are things I don't understand on their menu. Their burritos are gigantic with quality steak and fresh veggies. It's not like an "El Famous" or one of the other Americanized places. Far superior. Try it out if you're in the area and see what you think.

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
sorry mike i have enough disposable income to afford cooked food. we're a loooong way from the coast to be eating raw tuna. that plus I HATE SMALL FOOD.

for mexican, if you have the disposable income, salbute' in hinsdale is the place. reservations recommended.

for fast mexican food, on ogden ave in westmont is the Taco Grill and Salsa Bar.

las palmas is a sit down restaurant thats somewhere in the middle between the two with regards to price.

edit: uncle lou's restaurant in westmont does a pretty brisk sushi business and they do a mean home style beef with chile peppers.

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
It takes more skill to prepare sushi than it does to prepare some cooked fish. There's a special cleaning and preparation process involved. The person who prepares sushi is considered samurai. It does take some time and work to prepare each piece when ordered. Not all sushi is RAW ... for example, Unagi (eel) is served grilled. Soft shell crab is served deep fried. But the majority of sushi is raw.

And it's far more expensive than most cooked food!

Mike

ShelbyGuy said:
sorry mike i have enough disposable income to afford cooked food. we're a loooong way from the coast to be eating raw tuna. that plus I HATE SMALL FOOD.

for mexican, if you have the disposable income, salbute' in hinsdale is the place. reservations recommended.

for fast mexican food, on ogden ave in westmont is the Taco Grill and Salsa Bar.

las palmas is a sit down restaurant thats somewhere in the middle between the two with regards to price.

edit: uncle lou's restaurant in westmont does a pretty brisk sushi business and they do a mean home style beef with chile peppers.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
ChicagoMike said:
El Famous americanized? The one by me is hardcore, they hardly understand english and they have scary stuff on the menu like cow tongue burritos and tacos lol....

I went to El Famous in Orland Park once and it was horrible, so i know what you mean.

Brown bubbling stuff?

Orchata or whatever it's called. It's a drink. Never tried it. :dunno:

SNK BITN

Regular
Mar 10, 2004
Did someone say food? You are all my new best friends :D. Kampai is the shizzline! I know of a lot of good shushi in the chicago area, that where I usually go. But dont ask me the names of the places, cuase I either can pronounce it or I cant read japanese. Theres an excellent one thats right down the street from the Briar Street theater. I went there after seeing blue man group!

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
All this talk about Mexican food made me hungry so I went to Buenas Nachos to get lunch for my family and my neighbor. I checked and yes, they do have the Chorizo and Horchata as well as mole and other stuff I don't know what it is. LOL. Hot [spicy] veggies in plastic bags and mild and spicy dips. I don't know what those taste like because I'm a wimp when it comes to spices. Mmmmm. Steak tacos....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info