What happens when you get hit by some one with no insurance?

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Thursday my mom was involved in a car accident with her 09 Fusion and the 20 year old girl that blew a stop sign did not have insurance. It happened at a intersection near a Target parking lot in Shorewood and since it was on private property the girl did not get a ticket for blowing through a stop sign.:angrys00ls: Moms car has $12,000 in damage so far and it had to be towed because the left front suspension is broken, drivers door would not open, and she was pushed over a curb near some trees. What happens with insurance other then we have to make a claim with our company and take the hit?

IMG_0995.jpg

IMG_0996.jpg

IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_1001.jpg

IMG_0997.jpg

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_1000.jpg

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
There's still a police report correct? Did they get a ticket for no insurance?

My parents got hit by some illegals with no insurance and they ended up going through their insurance. I don't believe it went up though because it was they weren't at fault and it went under their uninsured motorist coverage.

Call up your agent and explain the situation. That's what they're there for.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Yep it does. On the plus side your moms rates should stay the same.

I think the worst part about an accident is resale value. Now that car will show it was in an accident and it's value won't be as high if it had a clean record. I think they should factor in the value lost into it and cut you a check for the difference.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Its not a GM... the car is still worth money

Plus with Country Companies they have have a Keeper policy. Normally a car gets totaled at 70% of the value of the car, with Keeper they total at 100% of the value of the car and if the car is in fact totaled Country will buy my mom a brand new 2011 Ford Fusion no questions asked.

That car would need an extra $5,000 in damage before Country Companies buys her a new Fusion

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008

Plus with Country Companies they have have a Keeper policy. Normally a car gets totaled at 70% of the value of the car, with Keeper they total at 100% of the value of the car and if the car is in fact totaled Country will buy my mom a brand new 2011 Ford Fusion no questions asked.

That car would need an extra $5,000 in damage before Country Companies buys her a new Fusion
It looks like you're working on it... Can't you do your mom a solid and total it? :)

divasixstar

TCG Elite Member
Jan 27, 2007
Elk Grove Village
found something online.

"Even if you happen to be the person that has the insurance, many times the chances of recouping from the uninsured person will be minimal. As stated before, someone that is uninsured most likely is that way because he can’t afford it. It is possible to seek legal action against that person, but you will end up responsible for those costs if the person is unable to pay."

i hate that we all pay so much into insurance and the people that don't have insurance really almost get off scott free if they can't afford it... really lame.

bdyman

can i haz bondo?
Sep 9, 2008
cicero
Real Name
chris

we can fix cars dan, its good your mom is ok
what does that insurance company pay per hour

This is exactally why i don't have country companies. If something is damaged that bad, i don't want it back. I'll take the loss and buy a new one.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
This is exactally why i don't have country companies. If something is damaged that bad, i don't want it back. I'll take the loss and buy a new one.

Yea but no other insurance company will buy you a brand new car with no money out of your pocket. Usually during the first three years of ownership of a brand new car you owe more then it is worth so if you totaled out a 1 year old car YOU are stuck with the balance of that car loan plus you have you go find yourself a new car.

Lets say this

you buy a car for $25,000
A year later you still owe $20,000 on the car and it gets totaled out but the car is only now worth $15,000. So the insurance company is only going to give you $15,000 for your totaled out car.

YOU will be stuck with the $5,000 difference and you have to go buy yourself another $25,000 car to replace exactly what you had before.

With the Keeper policy you walk away with out a $5000 difference and Country Companies buys you a brand new exact replacement car.

See what I am saying? I dont think it is a bad program at all.

Also the car is not that bad. it will be fixed and be as good as it was before, I dont know why people get all bent out of shape about wrecked cars. Moms car is really not that bad at all, the front suspension took a big blow but that is all bolt on parts. Other then the hinge pillar needing a little pull at the lower door hinge, I will be bolting some new doors and fender on, repairing the quarter panel and bumpers. I dont see whats so bad about that.

Bdyman - Country pays $50 per hour for body labor, ect, their rates are pretty decent.

bdyman

can i haz bondo?
Sep 9, 2008
cicero
Real Name
chris
dans right, thats not a big hard hit at all, allot of it is just replacing parts if you guys knew what we can fix would really make ya heads spin, ive done rear clips, sectioning frame rails, a-pillars b-pillars, roofs, package shelfs, trunk floors, if ya know what your doing a wrecked car can be fixed and you would never know

if insurance companies just totlaed cars out there would be no need for us bodymen in the collision field, and sterling auto body would never exsist either

labor rates arent to bad dan, what about the use of aftermarket parts

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
Your insurance will fix your car and they will go after the uninsured driver for the money. If the uninsured driver has a steady job, The insurance company will get payments from their employer. When I was hit by a guy who had no insurance and he worked for Avis as a car porter they docked his pay for payments. after 6 years I received a letter from the insurance company that he had paid them back. This was back in the 80's. The rules have become stricter over the past 5 years.

Also make sure you send in the accident report to the state and also send an Email to the Secretary of States office with the drivers info. If they find it to be valid, they will charge the driver with driving without insurance and suspend their license.

Illinois law mandates that no person should operate, nor owner permit another person to operate, a motor vehicle which not covered by the minimum liability insurance. If the teenager that hit you was not insured, but not cited because he showed what appeared to be proof of insurance at the scene of the accident, you should alert the Illinois Secretary of State (SOS) office with this information.

Through provisions of the Safety and Financial Responsibility Law, motorists are held responsible for accident damages both administratively and through the court system. A driver that has been involved in an accident without having valid insurance in many cases is required to file proof of FR through the SR-22 form for a period of 1 to 3 years.

To get the uninsured to pay for damages you will likely have to take him to court and get a judgment against him. Under this procedure, the person who suffered damages from the uninsured crash takes action in court and then the court orders the uninsured motorist to satisfy the judgment.

If the judgment is unsatisfied (unpaid) for 30 days, the court can order the Secretary of State to suspend the individuals driving and registering privileges. The suspension remains in effect until the requirements set forth by the court are met. If the judgment is for $500 or more, FR insurance (SR-22) must be files for 3 years.

For more information regarding the laws involved with an uninsured motorist who has caused property and bodily injuries when at fault in an accident, contact a lawyer, or the Safety and Financial Responsibility Section of the Drivers Services Department of the SOS.

As of July 1, 2007 the state of Illinois toughen the penalties for driving without insurance. Now if an individual is convicted of driving without insurance they will face an automatic three month suspension of their driver’s license and must pay a reinstatement fee of $100 before they can get their license back due to the passing of SB 624.

SB 624 is an amendment to the already existing Illinois Vehicle Code and the Unified Code of Corrections, which penalizes motorists without insurance with a fine of $500 to $1000. So the reinstatement fee is addition to a fine of up to $1,000 that uninsured drivers can also be required to pay. Anyone convicted of driving without insurance while their license is suspended will receive an additional six month suspension.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
Lets say this

you buy a car for $25,000
A year later you still owe $20,000 on the car and it gets totaled out but the car is only now worth $15,000. So the insurance company is only going to give you $15,000 for your totaled out car.

YOU will be stuck with the $5,000 difference and you have to go buy yourself another $25,000 car to replace exactly what you had before.

that is not totally true. that is why cars have payoff rates and if you pay off car early you dont pay extra intrest so the ammount owed would be much less. also that is why there is a thing called gap insurance. gap insurance would pay off the "gap" between what insurance pays and what youreally owe.

my insurance company offers it only for brand new cars buy most dealers offer it on all cars. it is much cheaper to go through my insurance company though. on my wifes 2011 malibu is is $22 every 6 mo. for gap insurance but to add it at the dealer is would add about $10 a month.

sorry to hear about your moms car and glad to hear she is alright.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
It is true that gap insurance will take car of the gap and we also have that on all of our cars in the family. Also not everyone buys gap insurance. What gap insurance will not do is REPLACE the car with the same make and model for the same money like the Keeper policy will do.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info