any reason to blur license plates in photos and videos?

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
okay but to play devils advocate... how could they get me in trouble? call the cops and be like plate 190185 just blew a stoplight @)(% argh!!!!!

how could people stalk me via my license plate also?

Exactly. People see your license plate every day. Im sure people saw that street race on the highway too as you were taping it. Did you blur it out for them?

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
whoa whoa whoa whoa.... i never street raced on the highway? whatchu talkin bout willis.

I never said you personally did. I said when people do it, they blur it out on video. That is silly to me since other people witnessed it and probably saw your plate.

For pictures, I see zero reason. People walking by your car can do whatever to your plate.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I never said you personally did. I said when people do it, they blur it out on video. That is silly to me since other people witnessed it and probably saw your plate.

For pictures, I see zero reason. People walking by your car can do whatever to your plate.

+1

Although posting street racing vids or pics of you with love dolls is generally a bad idea.

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
May 17, 2010
West Bend, WI
how could people stalk me via my license plate also?

perhaps they google a known alias, find pictures of a green 325i with a plate of BIMMR 1, start looking at places of occupation for that car, wait til that person gets off work, then hits them with a crowbar, steals their wallet only to find $3, or bounds and rapes them? Who knows, to be honest, its like people can use your VIN against you... I feel, better safe than sorry. :dunno:

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
perhaps they google a known alias, find pictures of a green 325i with a plate of BIMMR 1, start looking at places of occupation for that car, wait til that person gets off work, then hits them with a crowbar, steals their wallet only to find $3, or bounds and rapes them? Who knows, to be honest, its like people can use your VIN against you... I feel, better safe than sorry. :dunno:

You can do that to any car though. Not just cars you see on the internet. Does that mean I should blur my plate out to everyone? Just run with no plate?

firemandan1700

Bite my shiny metal ass
Apr 6, 2008
LaSalle County
Everyone has a valid point in either finding out where you live, copy your plate and use it for some sort of criminal gain, or have connections like me :D

While at work dispatching, we use the LEADS system which is a program database the state uses to run all names, license plates, enter warrants ect... This is a powerful tool in the law enforcement sector. BUT... Running plates without a reason (I.E. To gain personal knowledge of owner(s)) and and or releasing the information to some third party or unauthorized person is a federal offense.

So I believe people do it for more of a sense of security than anything. Again unless they are dong stoopid shit like racing in the street.

I have had people ask me to run license plates but I always say no. It's just not worth it

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info