Going through Ipass without an Ipass reciever

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
I drive on 90 four days a week. To and from work. I pass through the Ipass every time (obviously). I am registerd on the Ipass web site, but I do not have an Ipass receiver. I was thinking the other day, is this a good idea? If its the same thing as having an Ipass receiver whats the point of the receiver then? Does anyone do this? Should I get an Ipass receiver?

utryd2

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 3, 2009
North Aurora
Sooner or later they are going to send you a crazy big bill. I had my motorcycle registered and I held the ipass when I went through it and still got a huge bill. I registered it as a car not a motorycle and they still billed me. They fixed it and tossed the bill, but I believe you need it with you.

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
as long as the plate number is registered to an IPASS account your fine. im registered on one for my truck and work truck and dont have recievers in them for when i go thru. it just runs the plate when you go thru and if it matches an account it just deducts the account

yeah thats I what I thought. So the receiver is kind of useless?

JDHedman

" The Remote Start Guy "
Jun 5, 2009
Algonquin
as long as the plate number is registered to an IPASS account your fine. im registered on one for my truck and work truck and dont have recievers in them for when i go thru. it just runs the plate when you go thru and if it matches an account it just deducts the account

+1 I have 3 cars linked to my ipass and have no problems and even if the plate is not linked if it is registered to someone that has I pass you can call up when you get the notice and they will waive the fee and charge the ipass just the toll. but it is much easier to link the plate to the ipass lol

98GTPDriva

TCG Elite Member
Jun 24, 2008
You ALWAYS want to make sure that you go through with the IPASS transponder. IPASS does not tell you this, but they will charge you the non-IPASS cash rate (double) if you do not have your transponder while going through IPASS, even if you are an IPASS customer.

Otherwise, no one would ever carry the transponder and just have the camera take a photo and then charge your account, which takes time and money.

IPASS got me before on this and the CSR would not give me the IPASS rate on my toll violations, even after I talked with their manager. This was after I received a violation notice of over $1,000 and about $70 in tolls (would have been $35 with the IPASS rate) going back ust shy of two years.

IPASS will catch-up to everyone eventually... another reason why I can't stand the state sometimes.

yeah thats I what I thought. So the receiver is kind of useless?

its more or less, if its in the car, you wont have to deal with any mail bullshit. sometimes we get stuff in mail saying this car went thru without ipass but u just call and give them ipass acct # and they notice the cars registered to it and then they wave the fees.

You ALWAYS want to make sure that you go through with the IPASS transponder. IPASS does not tell you this, but they will charge you the non-IPASS cash rate (double) if you do not have your transponder while going through IPASS, even if you are an IPASS customer.

Otherwise, no one would ever carry the transponder and just have the camera take a photo and then charge your account, which takes time and money.

IPASS got me before on this and the CSR would not give me the IPASS rate on my toll violations, even after I talked with their manager. This was after I received a violation notice of over $1,000 and about $70 in tolls (would have been $35 with the IPASS rate) going back ust shy of two years.

IPASS will catch-up to everyone eventually... another reason why I can't stand the state sometimes.

hrmm wasnt aware of the double rate...

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I just checked my bill and I'm not billed at the double rate so I wouldn't be so quick to believe that without some definitive proof. Not saying it's not true but it doesn't apply here.

All three of my cars are registered to my account and I haven't been able to find my transponder for a couple of years. Occasionally they won't be able to connect the plate with the account and I'll get a $200 fine or something but then I just call them up and they take care of it.

HILROD

TCG Elite Member
Oct 22, 2007
ELGIN
I don't even know for sure where mine is. I've got one, the rest of my cars are just added to the same account. I had them try and fine me because of spaces not being in plate numbers. They do not charge any more for not having the transponder in the car, unless that's a new thing.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
i drive ALL OVER and i always leave my ipass at home. its tucked away nice and tight in the drawer in the kitchen.

me and my father put ALL of our cars on that 1 transponder.

everyonce and a while i get a letter in the mail saying i owe some crazy amount... yeah yeah, i call up Illinois tollway authority and bam its all taken care of because the vehicle is registered to that transponder.

im not too sure an exact amount that i save by fucking illinois in the ass like this, but im sure its a substantial amount. i figure i only pay about half of the tolls i go through or so.

IF THE TRANSPONDER IS IN YOUR CAR, YOU GET CHARGED EVERYTIME. IF YOU DONT HAVE IT IN YOUR CAR, THEN THE CAMERA HAS TO CATCH A LEGIBLE PICTURE OF YOUR PLATE inorder to bill you for "blowing" the toll. and guess what, the camera doesnt get you everytime..........

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
If their system did this thing about billing and matching the car to the account or whatever, why the hell would they even bother having people use the transponders? Arent the free in the first place?

The transponders are like $10 bucks. You pay $50 when you get one, and it's got $40 of loaded credit on it...so 40 of credit, 10 for the transponder = 50 obviously

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire

However, it states on the iPass website that if you don't use a receiver (when a plate is registered), that you can be charged a fee for not using the receiver. If you look at your account it'll show a deduction as a video toll (matching up your plate with account), but that you can be billed after a certain amount of times.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
"v-toll"s are different I think. I remember getting a bunch of vtoll fines before and it was like a smart ipass or something. I don't remember exactly but they wouldn't remove the fines I got from that. They said the fines were from not having the ipass in the car. It was a while back so I don't remember exactly. I still don't drive with an ipass in my car though. Most of the time they usually remove the fines and call it a day. Otherwise they just deduct the amount from my account and all is good.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
vtoll is definitely what it will register when you go through without a transponder and it picks up the license plate and charges your account. Just had one recently.

http://www.illinoistollway.com/portal/page?_pageid=133,2008701&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Please note: If you have an I-PASS (all of your account information is current, and the car you are driving is registered to your I-PASS account), do not pay this unpaid toll. The toll will be processed to your account as a vToll.*

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
You can go through without the transponder like others have said, but you pay the full price for the toll. The non-ipass people pay double what the ipass people pay. For example, if you went through a .40 toll without your transponder, you'll pay .80 (what non-ipass people pay). So the moral of the story is that you won't get tickets if the car is registered, but you'll pay twice what you should.
The reason they do this is because it costs them more money to 'research' to see if your car is registered to a transponder.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info