Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
from IGN...

March 7, 2008 - Speaking at the Mix08 Internet conference in Las Vegas yesterday, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer said the company plans to throw its support behind Sony's Blu-ray technology in "ways that make sense," although he didn't mention the Xbox 360 specifically.

According to a report on the Seattle Post-Intelligencer's Web site (via GameDaily), Ballmer said Microsoft will work with what has become the current-generation high-definition storage medium of choice.

"We've already been working on, for example, in Windows, device driver support for Blu-ray drives and the like, and I think the world moves on. Toshiba has moved on. We've moved on, and we'll support Blu-ray in ways that make sense," Ballmer told the crowd.

Microsoft had previously planted itself firmly in the HD-DVD format camp with manufacturer Toshiba, but that company bailed on the format in February. Microsoft soon followed with a discontinuation and price cut of its Xbox 360 HD-DVD peripheral.

Although Redmond has been officially mum so far on its future plans for removable HD playback on the Xbox 360, the Financial Times today is reporting that Microsoft is in talks with Sony about offering a Blu-ray drive for the console.

Sony's U.S. president, Stan Glasgow, made the statement at a media dinner, according to the FT. It was unclear whether the two companies are discussing the possibility of offering an internal Blu-ray drive in a future Xbox 360 SKU, a future Xbox console or as a standalone peripheral.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
i'm kinda surprised by sony actually....to allow blu ray into the 360s...i mean yea, its a huge profit to them but on the flip side they're giving something to their enemy that for awhile, made the ps3 the only thing worth buying...if that makes sense...and i'm talking in general terms here so dont attack me sean

CamaroSS

Banned
May 23, 2007
ill believe the blu ray player when i see it, and if its any indication, their player will be pretty shitty compared to a standalone player like ps3 and standard models. plus i expect to see them without ability to upgrade firmware for it, so your stuck with what you buy pretty much. no support for blu ray profile 2.0 etc... i bet. sony wont give them everything

JabroninWARRIOR

gdamnit
Jan 16, 2008
i'm kinda surprised by sony actually....to allow blu ray into the 360s...i mean yea, its a huge profit to them but on the flip side they're giving something to their enemy that for awhile, made the ps3 the only thing worth buying...if that makes sense...and i'm talking in general terms here so dont attack me sean

i think in the long run there is more money to be made from selling them to m$

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
i dont know, i think its a dieing format anyways.... flash ram is getting cheaper and cheaper and is way faster then discs, and more reliable

i doubt itll be for 360, maybe the next system, but by then they will just use ram chips. this is more pointed to home entertainment systems running vista, and computers i think

CamaroSS

Banned
May 23, 2007
no, its for 360 there ace, and blu ray is far from a dying format, ive yet to see anything that will be replacing it any time soon. why else would they support blu ray, they dont need to get permission from sony to have a blu ray drive on a computer they put vista on. this is for 360 getting a blu ray player.

CamaroSS

Banned
May 23, 2007
so its faster by a few seconds cause it takes longer to swap a disc...... do you watch your movies right in rapid succession or something. your forgetting the whole point of this, you started by saying it WILL replace blu ray movies cause they are a "dying format" when it comes down to movies, as you started talking about, it doesnt do anything better so far from anything you have said. there is no load times on movies, so thats a mute point, the space aspect.... 50 gig isnt enough... thats why they are making more layer blu rays with close to 200 gig possible so theres another mute point. im not saying flash is a bad concept, but your are putting wayyyyy too much faith in it when it hasnt proven a thing when it comes to what we are talking about, and thats movies. when you show me a flash drive movie match the quality in both audio and video of blu ray in a good package, let me know

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
theres already 64 gb flash drives, and u see flash memory getting cheaper and cheaper, it a couple of years youll see 500gb flash memory (which could be extremely tiny at this rate) for cheaper then a dvd. plus theres ZERO maintence, you dont have to worry about kids fucking shit up, and itll be a more reliable format.

and how could it not match it? that makes zero sense because DATA is DATA whether its on cd or flash or a hard drive, DATA is DATA. i could have a 300gb movie (not saying i have one) on my computer that puts blu ray to shame at the moment. its the fact that with blu ray you are LIMITED to disc platers and rotating devices, and lasers can fail.

with flash you have ZERO moving parts.

another point is that blu-ray, hd-dvd and everything else is USELESS right now because tvs cannot show the true high quality format that it really is in. how do u think they have IMAX theathers if they are only playing 1080p? They format they use puts blu-ray and any other format to shame, but the technology for homes has no way to display it. the actual quality is insane, and the resolution is crazy. thats why they can blow it up so huge and lose no quality

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info