US Military Pays $400 A Gallon For Fuel In Afghanistan

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
US Military Pays $400 A Gallon For Fuel In Afghanistan

Think last summer's $4 a gallon prices at the pump were painful? Imagine being the US Military, which pays around $400 a gallon in Afghanistan according to the Pentagon comptroller's office in a report to the House Appropriations Defense panel.

The report from the Pentagon comptroller was requested as a part of Obama administration's reconsideration of Afghanistan strategy. The price comes as a result of an investigation into why it costs approximately $1 billion a day to send every 1,000 troops into Afghanistan.

Now, there's a lot baked into that $400 a gallon price. Consider that in addition to the basic extraction and refinement costs of normal military fuel, priced at $2.78, it has to be sourced from secure facilities with high security to prevent sabotage, it must be transported across the regions difficult terrain and to remote locations using overland or air transit, and it must be guarded from attack at all times. It's also a variable price, and is not standard for all regions of Afghanistan, some areas are cheaper, and believe it or not, some are even more expensive, ranging up to $1,000 a gallon. Still, the $400 average price is nothing short of breathtaking. To put things in even more sobering terms, the report goes on to state the Marines alone, in one day in Afghanistan, consume an average of 800,000 gallons of fuel.

[The Hill]

Photo Credit: LIU JIN/AFP/Getty Images

W T F ? Just bomb the country and let's call it a day...

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Why not leave and nuke? Seriously. For the Roman empire to stop Hannibal and Carthage they went straight to Carthage, killed everybody and salted the fucking land. Get it? They made sure NOTHING would grow there again. The Roman empire went on for another 1000 years and became the most powerful civiliation the world has ever seen.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Oh, and shorty after Rome beat the shit out of Carthage, Pax Romana began, 200 years of peace within the Roman empire (aka the known world). I wonder if you wiped the middle east off the map, how much more peaceful the entire world would become. Ponder.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
so you think we need to grow more powerful? for what? what happened to the military empire once it overstretched itself? under what moral authority do we have to turn the country to glass? would you expect that to radicalize more people or less? afghanistan and the taliban didn't even attack us. osama was there WHO WE WERE BUDDIES WITH and all of his suicide hijackers were from fucking saudi arabia. the taliban even wanted to help us get osama. none of this shit is making us safer.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
so you think we need to grow more powerful? for what? what happened to the military empire once it overstretched itself? under what moral authority do we have to turn the country to glass? would you expect that to radicalize more people or less? afghanistan and the taliban didn't even attack us. osama was there WHO WE WERE BUDDIES WITH and all of his suicide hijackers were from fucking saudi arabia. the taliban even wanted to help us get osama. none of this shit is making us safer.

I guess you don't understand the idea of salting, or in this case nuking. There will be nobody left to radicalize. Germany never attacked the US either, but we felt the need to go in and kill millions of Germans during WWII. Even fire bombed dresden and killed 50,000 or so civilians in ONE NIGHT. So answer me this, why was it ok to attack Germany and Italy during WWII???

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
because all wars have been started by the middle east?? come on. what i ponder is how things might be different if we weren't intervening everywhere throughout the world.

We weren't intervening in the 30s or 40s either and Pearl Harbor got bombed. We were isolationists at that point. Seems like it worked well then.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.
- Winston Churchill

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I guess you don't understand the idea of salting, or in this case nuking. There will be nobody left to radicalize. Germany never attacked the US either, but we felt the need to go in and kill millions of Germans during WWII. Even fire bombed dresden and killed 50,000 or so civilians in ONE NIGHT. So answer me this, why was it ok to attack Germany and Italy during WWII???

you honestly we believe we can simply nuke the whole country, and have zero repurcussions? REALLY? at least germany was a country at war, rather than us with an undeclared war on a word. (how does every war on a word end again?)

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Germany was a country at war, so that makes it ok? So fuck it, I guess we should start declaring war on these countries then. You're going to tell me that not all of these countries are filled with islamic extremists, yet I hope you don't believe every German was a Nazi, do you?

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Absolutely, if Europe went into Germany in the 30s when Hitler was going against sanctions set against his country after WWI, then we would have NEVER had WWII. Korea and Vietnam were preventative wars that might have just prevented the end of the world.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Actually, now that I think more about it, if it weren't for Korea and Vietnam, I don't think any of us would be here. If we didn't step in there, Communism would have steam rolled over everything, until eventually there would be a hot war between the US and USSR.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Germany was a country at war, so that makes it ok? So fuck it, I guess we should start declaring war on these countries then. You're going to tell me that not all of these countries are filled with islamic extremists, yet I hope you don't believe every German was a Nazi, do you?

you're right, of course we should declare a war on a country if it actually makes sense to do so! like i said how do wars on words end? how's that war on poverty going? war on drugs? war on terror? which has resulted in eliminating their objective eh? even reducing it? you do realize we had a large part in radicalizing them on purpose to fight russia right? and that our intervention is also used to radicalize even more? and again, that all the 9/11 hijackers came from saudi arabia, not afghanistan???

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
you're right, of course we should declare a war on a country if it actually makes sense to do so! like i said how do wars on words end? how's that war on poverty going? war on drugs? war on terror? which has resulted in eliminating their objective eh? even reducing it? you do realize we had a large part in radicalizing them on purpose to fight russia right? and that our intervention is also used to radicalize even more? and again, that all the 9/11 hijackers came from saudi arabia, not afghanistan???

I realize all of this. I don't believe in our military doing anything half assed, hence, NUKES.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info