Ill be sure never to buy this drink again...

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
So my teacher is opening up a new gym in Elgin in a shopping plaza. A few stores down is a Thai (carries a variety of oriental foods from various asian countries) store. They sell drinks, noodles, stuff I have no idea what is is.

Anyway they have a great energy drink there. So im looking around and see a few diffrent drinks close to the one I usually buy. I decided to take a chance and try something new. I thought it was iced coffee.. Boy was I wrong.

The drink was $2 and it was the size of half a red bul (8oz?). As im getting in my car im looking at the drink. Most of it is not in English but I see a part that was in spanish... It read "Fungisedo" or something... Im like "Hmm thats weird.. that sure sounds allot like fungus..."

I keep seeing allot of birds on the can and I finally notice the name of the drink. Its called "Birds Nest". Im thinking "Thats a dumb ass name for a coffee drink".

And now I finally see it... on top of the birds nest name it says "WHITE FUNGUS"

AHHHHHHHH!!! Fuck that! The ingredients are (in order) Water, Sugar, White Fungus.

http://www.gadling.com/2007/10/28/birds-nest-white-fungus-no-i-would-not-like-some-thank-you/

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
00121.jpg

You know those shows you see on the telly where the adventurous, sexy host eats ox testicle because that's what the back country pygmies eat? Or that one friend you have who will eat fermented shark bile because its the Icelandic specialty? I'm not that guy. Case in point, Birds Nest, White Fungus. This Vietnamese drink comes in a Redbull sized can and contains, well, birds nest and white fungus.

Having a notoriously weak stomach, I've never been privy to shooting myself in the foot and trying "new, exciting" food. But in the company of family, it's harder to refuse. One sip of this stuff though and I was on the floor crying for A&W rootbeer. Who's idea was it to put these two constituents together into a beverage?

So next time you find yourself in far off lands and you feel pressured to be like that one guy from the Travel Channel and eat sauteed Yak hair, feel free to decline. It's ok to have a weak stomach and not be the culinary hero. I'm talking about you Bourdain; you're turning my friends into crazy people. I'll be in New York with my Santoku knives next Friday and I'm ready to throw down.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Freebeer187
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list