So Netflix shows ads between episodes now?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
So I'm watching the office as I always do and usually, when an episode ends you just get the screen for the show and like a 10-15 sec countdown... However, tonight when an ep ends I get a 20-30 sec video preview for a Netflix show or some other random show...

I can obviously hit ok on the menu but I often leave Netflix on in the background, especially when I try and fall asleep...

Anyway, in the end it's a minor annoyance but it's still dumb.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
What annoys me is when I have a show recorded on Comcast, start to watch it as a recorded program and they flip me over to On Demand. Can't skip the commercials with On Demand. It's intentional, I'm sure.

Worse yet, if they lose the recorded channel half way through, On Demand starts at the beginning... and you can't FF it.

Pisses me off so I go to Kodi when that happens. Screw you, Comcast.

/rant. :smile:

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Dumb.

Despite what you may have heard, Netflix is not introducing unskippable ads during shows.

Although some Reddit users have claimed to be hit by unskippable ads while binging their favorite shows, a Netflix spokesperson confirmed to IGN that the ads are actually personalized recommendations the company is currently testing, and users can skip them if they are not interested.

According to the spokesperson, the test is temporary and only affects a small subset of users. "At Netflix, we conduct hundreds of tests every year so we can better understand what helps members more easily find something great to watch."

"A couple of years ago, we introduced video previews to the TV experience, because we saw that it significantly cut the time members spend browsing and helped them find something they would enjoy watching even faster," the spokesperson told IGN, "In this particular case, we are testing whether surfacing recommendations between episodes helps members discover stories they will enjoy faster."

No, Netflix Isn't Introducing Unskippable Ads During Shows - IGN

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
What annoys me is when I have a show recorded on Comcast, start to watch it as a recorded program and they flip me over to On Demand. Can't skip the commercials with On Demand. It's intentional, I'm sure.

Worse yet, if they lose the recorded channel half way through, On Demand starts at the beginning... and you can't FF it.

Pisses me off so I go to Kodi when that happens. Screw you, Comcast.

/rant. :smile:

Are you sure you know how to use Comcast? They’ll give you the option to watch it on demand if you go thru a search but it’ll never just switch if you’ve gone to your recordings and select a show.

Also you can trick an on demand show pretty easily if you need to watch from a certain start point. When it first starts just page over and then you can rewind back. I’ve done it for shows that get interrupted or don’t record the very end because something else pushed the timeline a few minutes.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
The option menu for On Demand and Recorded comes up. I select recorded so I can FF the commercials.

At some time before or during the show, the screen freezes and a message pops up that "There was a problem playing this... You can still watch this On Demand."

Maybe it's just a Florida Comcast thing?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info