Illinois to impose tougher penalty for texting while driving

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
https://wgntv.com/2018/08/16/illinois-to-impose-tougher-penalty-for-texting-while-driving/

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. — People caught texting while driving will face stiffer penalties under a new Illinois law.

Starting July 1, 2019 drivers caught texting will be issued a moving violation that will go on their driving record. Anyone convicted of three moving violations in a 12-month period may have their license suspended.

Under the current law that took effect in 2014 a first offense for texting while driving is a non-moving violation and doesn’t affect a person’s driving record.

Secretary of State Jesse White says the law is needed because distracted driving has become a serious problem. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates at least 25 percent of crashes reported to police involve distracted driving.

White says the new law Gov. Bruce Rauner signed this week “will make our roads safer.”

Has anyone ever gotten a ticket for this? Making the penalties tougher does nothing if the police don't/can't enforce it.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
How does a LEO go about lawfully proving the driver was texting on site?

I'm all for harsh penalties here, but I'm not sure what the proper course of action is in order to justify the citation in the first place. And is it just "texting" while driving, or using the phone in a non-hands-free-manner-while-driving?

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
LgtGde2.gif

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Do the metrics also hold similar for DUI and Texting resulting in fatal accidents?

They were also much higher than DUI, IIRC. I'd have to go find my paper. :rofl:

I believe I got most of my data from the NHTSA or w/e the highway safety org is.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong on all of it. I just remember doing it.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
https://wgntv.com/2018/08/16/illinois-to-impose-tougher-penalty-for-texting-while-driving/

Has anyone ever gotten a ticket for this? Making the penalties tougher does nothing if the police don't/can't enforce it.

I'm all for harsh penalties here, but I'm not sure what the proper course of action is in order to justify the citation in the first place. And is it just "texting" while driving, or using the phone in a non-hands-free-manner-while-driving?

I was pulled over once and the cop said he pulled me over because my windows were so dark he couldn't tell if i was texting while driving through a school zone.

seriously.

giphy.gif

:rofl:

yet being visually distracted by video billboards is totally cool....

or massive tesla/ram screens :rofl:

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
They were also much higher than DUI, IIRC. I'd have to go find my paper. :rofl:

I believe I got most of my data from the NHTSA or w/e the highway safety org is.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong on all of it. I just remember doing it.

Oh, I don't doubt you, just curious if the rate of fatalities is different than when compared to broadly looking at accidents. If they hold a similar rate then I could see the necessity to treat the terms of the punishment in line with DUI, but if they are completely dissimilar then that's a different story.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
I don't see this changing habits. People are addicted to their phones like crack cocaine. Look around at every stop light. Illinois wants to capitalize on that, all in the name of "safety". Just like how speeding laws were revised, making 81+ in a 55 is a misdemeanor, yet people still speed while risking a criminal record.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Part of the issue I have is the accurate and effective implementation of it. Think of speeding. An officer can accurately determine this with the tools in his vehicle. The same for running a stop sign or stop light. Or really any other traffic violation committed with the vehicle.

But proving someone was texting while driving, without seizure of their "mobile device" ... Very hard to do.

Someone recently was telling me about how he got ticketed for texting while at a stop light. He told the officer he wasn't. But the officer said he was sitting in an adjacent parking lot to the intersection and saw him look down and reach for something, presuming it was his "mobile device". In reality, it could've been his latte. It could've been a pen. It could've been a fry he dropped. The point was, the officer didn't actually see the "mobile device" and just rushed to conclusions.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn

They issue a ticket on the spot. It's their word against yours.

I received a ticket for that a couple years ago. Cop said I was watching my phone. My phone was in my center console cup holder the whole time I was in the car. Believe it or not I don't use my phone when moving. I have been known to text or look something up at a stop light, but not this time. Anyways, when I stated that I had no used my phone since I got into my truck he replies that he could see I was on my phone as he was next to me at a stop light. Said he saw a girl on my screen. that I was watching a video or on Facetime (I don't own an iPhone lol).

It wasn't a mover and I wasn't going to waste my time taking off work to go to fight it. But now as a bigger fine and mover I am sure more and more people will be pissed getting one. Deserving or not. haha

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
but... passengers...

I agree, but will smartphone makers agree if they somehow lose a lawsuit or something...

The other one would be people on mass transit like buses and trains. They should be able to use their devices no problem as well.

Just think that one day we'll get to that point when they have nothing else to complain about people dying from.

dom418

Regular
Dec 2, 2008
It absolutely freighens me the number of times I have looked over and the driver in the other lane has their head down while driving. It’s terrible with the young folks, especially the chicks.

Then again I see people doing their makeup, shaving, reading the paper, making a Spanish omelette while doing 50 mph

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info