A whole lot of NOPE these past 2-3 weeks.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
I bought a house less than a month ago and it's been an interesting experience living here so far. The previous owners moved out around a month prior I believe and I didn't even get the keys until about a week after I closed escrow due to being out of town for work. On day one I found this in my garage with a pretty well established web.

37783658_10212243549900994_2985931589973704704_n.jpg

Now this is kind of a blurry photo as I didn't want to get too close. I'm not afraid of spiders per se, but this one had a very "don't fuck with me vibe". Rightfully so as I clearly recognized it as a black widow.

Then last week I was cleaning out my living room as I had a lot of boxes just sitting around. Picked up two pot holders on the floor and there's a scorpion in between them. I don't have a picture of said scorpion, I apologize, but here's a picture of a SECOND scorpion I found the next day.

IMG_72381_zps1lqh34jq.jpg

Now, I don't have a lot of experience with scorpions, but the one I found the previous day didn't move at all from when I discovered it and when I dropped/ threw it upon realization from what I was holding. I did eventually pick it up and throw it outside.
This new one also didn't move. I've been finding a lot of dead bugs the past week- mostly flies and a large dragonfly as well. So I kind of assumed that maybe this was a dead scorpion just chilling on my carpet. It almost looks like it blends into the carpet. So I semi thought I just didn't notice it. So I leave the "dead" scorpion on the ground as I didn't have anything readily available to pick it up. I come back 5-10 minutes later and it's GONE. :tear: So now I'm searching around my living room, first floor closet and I find the bugger trying to get up the stairs. I raid the shit out of it, and eventually it dies. That also gets thrown in the yard.

Fast forward to a couple days ago. I'm pulling the weeds in my front yard. and as I'm carrying a pile of weeds to the trash bin I notice this guy on my shoulder.

IMG_72431_zpsrsboir47.jpg

I'm 100% sure my neighbor a couple houses down heard me yell and saw me dancing around as he was loading his kid into his car. Anyways - I'm not deathly afraid of bugs although they can gross me out. These past few experiences have left me on edge. I'm really hoping I don't run into any more surprises.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
the scorpions you have look like the basic bitch ones. stings hurt like bee stings, but unless you are allergic wont do any real harm. if you have any citrus plants trees, those attract them. lilac is supposed to deter them. (so i hear from my buddy and his family is AZ.)

and that mantis is a huge bitch!

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
the scorpions you have look like the basic bitch ones. stings hurt like bee stings, but unless you are allergic wont do any real harm. if you have any citrus plants trees, those attract them. lilac is supposed to deter them. (so i hear from my buddy and his family is AZ.)

and that mantis is a huge bitch!

If I find any more, a trip to home depot may be the at the top of my list. No citrus plants, just grass and some misc flowers in the front yard. They may not be deadly, but it's one of those things that I'm not okay with just letting them loose around the house.

A tesla flamethrower is first thing that popped into my head for ways to get rid of the black widow. No valuables in the garage. :rofl:

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Praying Mantis is definitely cool.
Spider.... :eek3:

Praying Mantis is always bad-ass. They don't freak me out at all. Mostly because I know they won't come after a person, and they are ambush hunters. So they don't bother moving at all. Chill as fuck.

Scorpion and Black Widow is all Fuck, Nope, Nope for me.

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
Praying Mantis is always bad-ass. They don't freak me out at all. Mostly because I know they won't come after a person, and they are ambush hunters. So they don't bother moving at all. Chill as fuck.

Scorpion and Black Widow is all Fuck, Nope, Nope for me.
x2 exactly this. I would probably scream like a bitch if I saw a praying mantis on me that I didn't expect, but otherwise they are bad ass. Congrats on the new place. Stay alert!

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
Anyone here been bitten by a black widow? I've never seen one on real life. I did some reading and most of their bites don't require medical treatment, although they could be painful for a week.

nope but I lived in Boulder City, NV and saw them all over.. lawn camping in tents out there as a teenager is probably the start of my anxiety problems :rofl:

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
Anyone here been bitten by a black widow? I've never seen one on real life. I did some reading and most of their bites don't require medical treatment, although they could be painful for a week.

I'm not sure where you read that they don't require medical treatment. They're one of the most poisonous spiders in the US. Deaths from a black widow are super low, but doesn't mean you'll have a good time aftwards.

The black widow spider produces a protein venom (poison) that affects your nervous system. Some people are slightly affected by it, but others may have a severe response. Right away, you may feel severe pain, burning, swelling, and redness at the site. You may even see two fang marks.

Symptoms may vary for each individual.

Local pain, redness, burning and swelling at bite site (Some may have minimal pain from the bite itself)
Abdominal pain (pain can be similar to appendicitis) and localized or generalized muscle cramps (stomach, shoulders and back)
Headache
Rash and itching
Sweating
Eyelid swelling
Salivation, tearing of the eyes
Weakness, tremors or paralysis (especially in the legs)
Nausea and/or vomiting
Dizziness and/or fainting
Chest pain (similar to a heart attack)
Respiratory difficulties may follow
High blood pressure

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I'm not sure where you read that they don't require medical treatment. They're one of the most poisonous spiders in the US. Deaths from a black widow are super low, but doesn't mean you'll have a good time aftwards.

I read it on wikipedia. It said most people don't require medical treatment and there hasn't been a death for 100 years.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info