2 toddlers struck by train, 1 fatally, in Portage, Indiana

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
https://abc7chicago.com/2-toddlers-struck-by-train-1-fatally-in-portage/3900700/

PORTAGE, Ind. (WLS) -- A 3-year-old boy was killed and his 2-year-old sister was critically injured when they were struck by a freight train Tuesday morning in Portage, Indiana.

The boy was identified as Caleb Wilson, according to the Porter County Coroner's Office.

His sister, identified by family as Ellie, was airlifted to Comer's Children's Hospital in Chicago. Police sad she "had noticeable injuries but was actively crying." She remained in critical condition Tuesday evening.

The children appear to have sneaked out of a screen door of their nearby home, according to the Portage Police Department.

The incident occurred at about 9:30 a.m. south of the Woodland Village Mobile Home Park near Willowcreek Road and Portage Avenue, according to Chief Troy Williams. There are two sets of CSX railroad tracks that run parallel to the southern end of the mobile home community, which is located south of U.S. Hwy 20 and west of Willocreek Road.

The children lived in a mobile home just four homes away from the tracks.

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
https://www.nwitimes.com/news/local...cle_11226709-8dde-5e39-9f88-edd58bbb1712.html

UPDATE: Aunt says 2-year-old girl is awake and talking after she and her brother were struck by a train Tuesday morning in Portage

“Police are continuing to investigate, but Police Chief Troy Williams said family members believed the two sneaked out of the home through a screen door without the adults' knowledge. The adults were actively searching for the toddlers when the collision occurred.

Williams said officer Laura Lightfoot was first on the scene. Caleb was found deceased while Ellie was found crying and with noticeable injuries.”

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Kids can sneak out. The parents were looking for them. It happens. Most times, we are lucky enough that the kids are found safe.

The parents will be blaming themselves.

My uncle left his pool gate open and went to get the vacuum or something. His 2 y.o. got out of the house and fell in. Drowned. It took my uncle decades to get past some of the blame.

I feel for the parents and the engineers. Hopefully, the little girl will be OK.

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
More info coming from the news

“A child gate was supposed to be locked in place to block the screen door, but grandfather Bryon Benson said it wasn't locked and just leaning against the door.

"There is three of us, three adults there, child gate right in front of the door that should have been locked in place, and it wasn't. It was just leaning against there," Benson said.

The mobile home, just south of the Woodland Village Mobile Home Park near Willowcreek Road and Portage Avenue, was just four homes away from the tracks.

"Never played on the track, never ever ever, even this close to the tracks. Living this close to the tracks, I don't even think they know what a train is," said Benson.”

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info