Justified shooting or no?

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/b42513c9-f9bc-3379-88e2-5f4242df5321/ss_minneapolis-police-release.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5jn9C6YTcE

This is a tough call. The police responded to a call of someone shooting in the air and at the ground. They approach the guy, and he takes off running. While running, he grabs his gun from his pocket. While it is tough to tell if he was really going to turn around and shoot, I can kind of see why the officers fired.

The family was disputing the circumstances, so the footage was released.

I just don't get why people run like that with how much people think that cops are trigger finger happy with minorities. All the guy had to do was to just stand there while the police asked him some questions..and he'd still be alive. Arrested, but still alive.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Although he didn't have it pointed at them, he did certainly draw. Personally I don't see why they should have to wait for him to point it at them and take a few warning shots. Legally they don't.

Easily a justified shooting from a legality standpoint.

It's interesting, I think that while there are a few spots (typically non lethal force incidents) it's made the police look really bad a lot of the "body cam footage" cases tend to do the exact opposite in lethal force situations. It's certainly showing that "there was no gun" or "he wasn't resisting" is a flat out lie in many of these cases. It's also enabled higher transparency in PDs in cases like this.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
If he grabbed it, justified. The officers are trained with video after video of how it only takes a fraction of a second to get a lucky shot off. The officers want to go home that night and if he did too he would have put his hands up immediately, let alone run. The cops don't know if your a good or bad guy but running and drawing is going to secure your fate..

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Had the perp just been running with the gun in his pants, I could see there being a little more debate as to whether or not the cop could fire upon him. As others have said, it wouldn't take but a second to turn around and fire a lucky shot. That guy sealed his fate when he grabbed his gun while running.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info