Lady hit by 844 Union Pacific Heritage Train

Shadow99

Broke DSMer
Jun 7, 2011
Ohare
This is why we can have nice things. One person to ruin it for many.

37392878_10156443101275050_8300496428094980096_o.jpg

About 7:45 p.m. on Saturday, the Denver Post Cheyenne Frontier Days train, a chartered special led by Union Pacific 4-8-4 Northern No. 844 and made up of 21 UP business cars carrying an estimated 700 passengers and 60 crew members, fatally struck a bystander who appears to have been attempting to photograph or video the train near a grade crossing.

No other injuries were reported.

The train was returning to Denver from Cheyenne, Wyo., where it left the city’s downtown depot at 5:12 p.m., 12 minutes late. It had arrived there at 10:35 a.m. that morning after leaving Denver on-time at 6:30 a.m.

The strike happened near the railroad’s at-grade crossing of state Route 22 near U.S. Route 85, which the UP main line parallels, in Henderson, Colo., an industrial area about 16 miles north of Denver.

The train was traveling near its top speed of 60 mph before the engineer made an emergency brake application shortly after hitting the person. About two hours later, buses began arriving to transport passengers from the scene back to the train’s original parking and boarding locations in Denver. After local law enforcement and UP officials conducted an initial investigation, the consist left the scene under diesel power at about 2 a.m., July 22.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14xbsubeb2Y

Shadow99

Broke DSMer
Jun 7, 2011
Ohare
The equivalent of a mosquito hitting your windshield as you cruise down the highway...

Those things are massive. It was in WeGo one time on one of those heritage tours and I got to check it out.

How much was it? That had to be an awesome time. I have wanted to do the steam route from chicago to aurora or whatever the route is. I forgot what the event is called. But they start at union station with a steam engine as power.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
How much was it? That had to be an awesome time. I have wanted to do the steam route from chicago to aurora or whatever the route is. I forgot what the event is called. But they start at union station with a steam engine as power.

It wasn't an excursion. They just had it parked on a side track behind the WeGo Metra station and Police Department and you could go check it out.

But now that I think of it, I might be thinking of the Challenger which is a 4-6-6-4.

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
I was just in Scranton, PA. and got to go to Steamtown -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steamtown_National_Historic_Site

Very enjoyable. Full-on working roundhouse full of locomotives. They had one done up as a cutaway so you could see the inner workings of the firebox, steam tubes, etc.
Several in restoration. Many engines and cars you can climb all over.
Got tons of pictures.

They also have a trolley museum there but I ddn't go in.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I will never understand being accidentally hit by a train. It is literally one of the easiest things in life to avoid

For a normal train in "pull" mode (like this video and that Metra video on the BNSF line), where the locomotive is at the front, I agree 110%.

But in the case of Metra "scoots", if they're going into the city, they're in "push" mode, where the locomotive is at the back, and the engineer is up in a command car and there is very little noise outside of the normal background "white" noise" to sway morons with headphones on, or a phone in their ear, from realizing it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info