CDL Drivers....Need info

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Had a question in regards to driving a truck for a temporary job in Wisconsin.

I work for an IL company. There's a job in Wisconsin that will take about a week to do and we plan on staying there for the duration of the job. Is there anything special that the company needs to do in order to drive our truck over state line to do that job? We have a driver with a CDL A license and will be driving a Truck and trailer with machinery for that job. Would the company be able to do so without repercussions or is there certain rules to abide by?

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
Make sure the driver has a valid DOT medical card (on him) and his CDL is registered interstate and not intrastate. As far as trucks, I'd look into it, but i believe just a valid DOT inspection sticker and should be okay. Make sure it doesnt weigh in over GVW. I'd make sure truck is DOT compliant (tire tread depths, brake linings, wheel seals aren't leaking, etc) I'd treat the truck and driver like they have a target on their back, especially with the IL plates.

093LZ

Regular
May 16, 2012
What my boss did was call up WDOT and paid the fuel tax. In order to do that he had to register the truck with a DOT number. So we have a temporary permit good for 72 hours. I think technically it's supposed to be for private use and not commercial. So we're taking a risk.

Late to the party, CDL wise you are good, but once you cross state lines in which you are getting paid to perform a service/get paid, you need to pay the fuel tax and have a DOT number. Federal reg wise, nothing has changed, you are still subject to all regs if you exceed 10,001 lbs and are getting paid. Locals cant enforce most of this, its only the state police that is trained/allowed to enforce FMCSA.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Late to the party, CDL wise you are good, but once you cross state lines in which you are getting paid to perform a service/get paid, you need to pay the fuel tax and have a DOT number. Federal reg wise, nothing has changed, you are still subject to all regs if you exceed 10,001 lbs and are getting paid. Locals cant enforce most of this, its only the state police that is trained/allowed to enforce FMCSA.

What are the regulations pertaining to being over 10,001 lbs (while getting paid)?

We didn't end up taking the trailer and machine with the truck, so we're under 26,000 lbs on the truck, but yet, still 26,000 lbs (H plates). Fuel tax has been paid and there is a USDOT number on the truck. Anything else we need to worry about?

BTW- Thanks for the info! :bigthumb:

093LZ

Regular
May 16, 2012
What are the regulations pertaining to being over 10,001 lbs (while getting paid)?

We didn't end up taking the trailer and machine with the truck, so we're under 26,000 lbs on the truck, but yet, still 26,000 lbs (H plates). Fuel tax has been paid and there is a USDOT number on the truck. Anything else we need to worry about?

BTW- Thanks for the info! :bigthumb:

sounds like you are GTG. But you are subject to more strict vehicle code than the regular illinois vehicle code. Stuff like tire tread depth, steering lash, brake pad width and like 9 million other federal regs. As long as you are not driving a junk wagon, you wont have anything to worry about. Just have the right endorsement on your DL, medical card, fuel tax sticker, dot number and a yearly inspection paperwork (which it all sounds like you do). Log book is only needed if you are traveling over 150 air miles from your home base.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
sounds like you are GTG. But you are subject to more strict vehicle code than the regular illinois vehicle code. Stuff like tire tread depth, steering lash, brake pad width and like 9 million other federal regs. As long as you are not driving a junk wagon, you wont have anything to worry about. Just have the right endorsement on your DL, medical card, fuel tax sticker, dot number and a yearly inspection paperwork (which it all sounds like you do). Log book is only needed if you are traveling over 150 air miles from your home base.

I know your a LEO, assuming State.
Very few local LEO's know that info, very rarely do I see local LEO's doing safety inspections on commercial trucks. If they are, the State boys are usually right beside them.

093LZ

Regular
May 16, 2012
I know your a LEO, assuming State.
Very few local LEO's know that info, very rarely do I see local LEO's doing safety inspections on commercial trucks. If they are, the State boys are usually right beside them.

:bigthumb:

State Police, across the U.S are the only ones trained and allowed to enforce federal regs that's why you really dont see locals doing as many inspections as we do. Locals can really only do overweight and a few other vehicle code sections. Most of the time when a CMV is involved in an accident, local guys will call us to come do the inspection because they are pretty in depth inspections (level 2 and level 1). If there is one thing that we have a quota on, its truck inspections. The troops in the SUV's with the ball caps on are dedicated to just inspecting CMV's.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
:bigthumb:

State Police, across the U.S are the only ones trained and allowed to enforce federal regs that's why you really dont see locals doing as many inspections as we do. Locals can really only do overweight and a few other vehicle code sections. Most of the time when a CMV is involved in an accident, local guys will call us to come do the inspection because they are pretty in depth inspections (level 2 and level 1). If there is one thing that we have a quota on, its truck inspections. The troops in the SUV's with the ball caps on are dedicated to just inspecting CMV's.
LOL, I know all about it. Drove a truck for about 10 years and had my fair share of roadside inspections. Shut down a couple of times for brakes (slack adjusters)

093LZ

Regular
May 16, 2012
LOL, I know all about it. Drove a truck for about 10 years and had my fair share of roadside inspections. Shut down a couple of times for brakes (slack adjusters)

gotcha, is it me or has the quality of truck drivers gone down the drain? When I first got on the job you never saw a semi in the left lane and rarely were they going more than 9 over. Now its just lawless. My father in law always bitched about the new drivers making the old timers look bad.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
gotcha, is it me or has the quality of truck drivers gone down the drain? When I first got on the job you never saw a semi in the left lane and rarely were they going more than 9 over. Now its just lawless. My father in law always bitched about the new drivers making the old timers look bad.

No your correct they are insanely bad!!!
Every day I see trucks in left lanes flying or riding someones ass in the middle lane looking like a Nascar race.
Have also noticed a lot in the city, big rigs driving down Boulevards.
Can be a CPD car right behind them and they dont bother them.
Also cant stand the rigs hauling stone, I average 2 cracked windshields a year because of those guys.

Not to come off sounding racist because its not my intention.
The Middle Easterners driving semis are complete fucking morons and dont follow any laws. I wonder how they got their license. I see a lot of them on job sites coming from Canada (delivering office furniture).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info