Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
billion

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/18/6300...illion-fine-for-pushing-apps-on-android-users

The European Commission has fined Google $5 billion for violating the European Union's antitrust rules — specifically, by forcing manufacturers of Android phones to install the Google search app and the Chrome Web browser.

"Google has used Android as a vehicle to cement the dominance of its search engine," Commissioner Margrethe Vestager said in a statement. "These practices have denied rivals the chance to innovate and compete on the merits."

The tech giant plans to appeal the decision, a Google spokesperson tells NPR.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
We tried it with Microsoft in the early 00s. I want to see Eric up there giving a speech about how it's like a car without a stereo like Bill did.

Now then, when they look in the mirror and start talking censorship or the censorship of Google-esque companies I'd be a lot more interested in what the EU has to say on technology.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
We tried it with Microsoft in the early 00s. I want to see Eric up there giving a speech about how it's like a car without a stereo like Bill did.

Now then, when they look in the mirror and start talking censorship or the censorship of Google-esque companies I'd be a lot more interested in what the EU has to say on technology.

So I buy a new car that has Goodyear tires, can I sue the manufacturer for forcing me to have Goodyear tires on the car? Good grief...

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
So I buy a new car that has Goodyear tires, can I sue the manufacturer for forcing me to have Goodyear tires on the car? Good grief...

I didn't say anything about it being right, I just said I wanted to see it for the entertainment value. Huge difference.

What I don't like is that you have to root your fucking phone to get the provider installed shit off. I think the OS should be by and large decoupled from the OS where there's no apps to install.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info