French Fry Poll

Which fries?

• Total voters

Shadow99

Broke DSMer
Jun 7, 2011
Ohare
Saw this on epic meal time. Im stuck between wendys, chick fil A, and five guys. Never had shake shack. If they had wing stop fries on there mmmmm.

37072232_1835895543140405_6348669435443675136_n.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I don't eat a lot of fries anymore but I grew up with McDonalds so I have a soft spot for them. Five Guys are also great. They're more simple with decent, and changing, potatoes.

If you want MickeyD's fries, cut the potatoes up to that size, soak them in water to remove some of the starch, dry them then fry them partially in beef fat (or use lard), rest them in the fridge, fry them to finish. Add salt. It's the double cooking that gives McDonald's the soft centers and, if done right, crispier outsides.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
McDonald’s used to be the best, but then they switched the oil to not contain any Beef fat.

For the life of me I can’t understand how anybody could like 5 guys fries. Speaking purely on a technical standpoint, they are grossly undercooked. If I can bend a French fry and it doesn’t snap, it’s undercooked. Then they don’t salt them enough so you get that raw potato flavor and nothing else. I’ve been to 2 different locations a total of 6 times and every time they were horrible. I think people just think since they fill the bag all the way that it’s somehow good.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
McDonald’s used to be the best, but then they switched the oil to not contain any Beef fat.

For the life of me I can’t understand how anybody could like 5 guys fries. Speaking purely on a technical standpoint, they are grossly undercooked. If I can bend a French fry and it doesn’t snap, it’s undercooked. Then they don’t salt them enough so you get that raw potato flavor and nothing else. I’ve been to 2 different locations a total of 6 times and I very time they were horrible. I think people just think since they fill the bag all the way that it’s somehow good.

Decent potatoes and simple ingredients. They taste good.

Beef fat may not be around so much (butcher shops, maybe) but lard is. IMO, it's actually better for you than many of the current products out there. Taste is superior and the lard keeps well in the deep fryer.

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013

For the life of me I can’t understand how anybody could like 5 guys fries. Speaking purely on a technical standpoint, they are grossly undercooked. If I can bend a French fry and it doesn’t snap, it’s undercooked. Then they don’t salt them enough so you get that raw potato flavor and nothing else. I’ve been to 2 different locations a total of 6 times and every time they were horrible. I think people just think since they fill the bag all the way that it’s somehow good.

5 Guys fries are decent when you ask for them extra crispy, or double dropped.Try it this way next time.

2QuikTA

Addict
May 30, 2011
If we're going based on that image, five guys.

I don’t know why people are mentioning places not on the list. It wasn’t an open question.

I’ve never had shake shack, but I am a sucker for a good crinkle. So based on that I would say mc’d but Wendy’s used to be right up there before they fucked them up like 10 years ago.

Thread Info