Pretty happy with my new internet service

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Comcast started hiking my rates after the introductory period, so I decided to pull the trigger finally and switch to AT&T gigabit fiber.

iqks3IE.png

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Yeah, it's a little over $100/month after taxes/fees. My Comcast bill was eventually going to end up at $260ish per month after the introductory rate ran out, so this arrangement I have now will save me ~50-60/month(and I'm getting gigabit fiber instead of 150mb cable).

Also, no data cap!

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
I wish ATT Fiber was available in my area.

Comcast bumped our speeds from 150 to 250 and I consistently get over 250 without paying a dime more. Least they can do considering the near $200 bill a month for landline/internet/TV without premium channels.

We also have their Xfinitiy Mobile as of last week and so far, its great.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
so what is /29?
I am a software developer so I have a technical background, but I am not up on a lot of the networking

Home users have /24 by default, which is a Class C. /24 has a maximum of 254 addresses.

Without going to school you can use Subnet Calculators to find stuff out. To be honest, even though I do know how to calculate it, I'm lazy and would probably use a subnet calculator.
Online IP Subnet Calculator

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Comcast has gig internet down by me, and I have it. It's ~$100/month

But is it synchronous Gig? 1 up, 1 down?

Or is it like the "Gig" package they offer everywhere else where its 1 gig down, 35mbit up. Here they ask $140/mo for that package.

Their "2Gigabit" package is $300 a month, and its 1 down, 1 up. Because they are trying to make it seem faster than it is.

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

I know around here Comcast is spending huge money.
I know how much I make, and there are a bunch of contractors out getting ready for this big upgrade!!!!
I'm just a little field engineer, they have fiber guys out making big bucks as we speak getting this ready.
Then when the full construction starts, it will be an unbelievable investment in holding & increasing the internet service market.

I also know WOW is spending some dough, I just turned down a construction contract that was up past the airport.
So they must be upgrading something if they needed all those new P/S installed!!

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
It took ComJunk to raise your rates before switching? I laugh at anyone who is offered 1000/1000 for 75/month to go with someone else.

I didn't know AT&T offered fiber in my area until after I signed the contract with Comcast. I also thought Comcast would charge me a termination fee if I ditched their internet...But it turns out there's no fee since I kept their TV service(for now). I think as soon as DirecTV Now gets their shit together, I'll ditch cable TV altogether.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
What do you use speeds that fast for? Open question for anyone who pays for that kind of speed. Media download/upload?

I generally would sign up for this for hosting stuff, like Plex Media Server, personal cloud storage....etc.

I actually don't need nor care about the download speeds the bigger plans offer. For me the 300Mbit I have now is overkill. I pay for the 300mbit download but just because it gets me a 25Mbit upload.

I'm considering the Gig download because it will give me a 35mbit upload, but I don't think its worth an extra $40/month yet.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info