Favorite Cooler

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
Been watching a few youtube videos and reading reviews, some mixed feelings on various coolers. Looking for something that keeps ice for at least 5 days. and can hold 2-4 days worth of food. Been looking at Yeti, Grizzly, Pelican and Orca and I think the 40-50 qt coolers would be big enough. Looking for the opinions from the fine experts on TCG.

What do you use when you need to get away from civilization?

Mr. SBF

Keeping it Real with Ford Power!!!
May 12, 2015
Kenosha County
ENGEL. One of my Musky fishing partner's has one, it has worked awesome on the trip's we take. It's bigger and cheaper than a Yeti too!

https://youtu.be/pCpPplk0HTc

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180709-174113.jpg
    Screenshot_20180709-174113.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 136

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
IMO, Yetis are, of course, good coolers based on the materials used and the design but I don't think they are the best bang for the buck.

As you mentioned, there are plenty of test reviews on youtube that show comparisons between Yetis and some of the other coolers mentioned above. Pelican and Siberian did well in the tests.

If I was buying one, I'd probably find the best deal from any of the top coolers and buy based on price rather than brand. They all hold ice for 5 days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu-V0ZqfYHg

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
IMO, Yetis are, of course, good coolers based on the materials used and the design but I don't think they are the best bang for the buck.

As you mentioned, there are plenty of test reviews on youtube that show comparisons between Yetis and some of the other coolers mentioned above. Pelican and Siberian did well in the tests.

If I was buying one, I'd probably find the best deal from any of the top coolers and buy based on price rather than brand. They all hold ice for 5 days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu-V0ZqfYHg

Definitely more interested in price verse brand name. Those were just brand names that stood out to me so I figured I'd look into them first. Didn't hurt that Yeti offered a first responder discount as well. I'm noticing though that even with it's larger size, the interior isn't that spacious compared to other coolers.

i have a pelican cooler id sell you but it'd cost more in shipping to get it out there :rofl:

How do you like it?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
How do you like it?

It's really impressive for what it can do.

On a canoe trip last year, while temps and humidity were both high as fuck, and the cooler couldn't be in the shade whatsoever, it kept food frozen and ice for 3+ days.

That being said, i have another cooler similar in exterior dimensions, that holds likely twice as much. the pelican cooler is just so overbuilt and beefy, the interior space is similar to a cooler 2/3s the size maybe at best.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
It's really impressive for what it can do.

On a canoe trip last year, while temps and humidity were both high as fuck, and the cooler couldn't be in the shade whatsoever, it kept food frozen and ice for 3+ days.

That being said, i have another cooler similar in exterior dimensions, that holds likely twice as much. the pelican cooler is just so overbuilt and beefy, the interior space is similar to a cooler 2/3s the size maybe at best.

I have a pelican also and have the same sentiment. For camping or multiple days at the track it is great for keeping my stuff cold. I would never bring it for a day at the beach or to a kids sports game etc. Have had it on week long roadtrips and only had to add ice once and that was in our hot car all the time.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Been watching a few youtube videos and reading reviews, some mixed feelings on various coolers. Looking for something that keeps ice for at least 5 days. and can hold 2-4 days worth of food. Been looking at Yeti, Grizzly, Pelican and Orca and I think the 40-50 qt coolers would be big enough. Looking for the opinions from the fine experts on TCG.

What do you use when you need to get away from civilization?

I'm unsure how/where you'll be using this... but i was thinking about this thread this morning and something that excites me 20x more than my pelican cooler, is my truckfridge.

so im unsure if this will be in a vehicle for you like camping possibly- but it's likely that it won't be... i just figured id mention how awesome these things are.

tons of brands out there of course- i have a pseudo "knock off" one from these guys:

https://www.truckfridge.com/

I got it with some coupon code for ~$450 shipped I think. It works crazy well. My truck has two batteries which are isolated from eachother and the fridge has a voltage shut off to stop pulling power once the battery hits a certain level- i wish i could get rid of this because i dont really care that i drain that battery, but even still, in the bed of my truck, in my cap, in the sun, and the heat, the fridge will stay cold and running for at least ~4 days or so when its hot out without my truck running or anything.

I never thought id use it and love it as much as i do but it's way more useful to me than the pelican cooler i have for my specific situation. I typically leave it half stocked with water/soda and a few beers. The uses are pretty endless though- a silly thing is we wind up grocery shopping somewhere or buying something that must stay cold... instead of rushing home, toss it in the fridge and it's fine for as long as i want... never have to buy ice for it... never have to do anything.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
The program Yeti axed was selling items at a discount, for corporations to brand & resell or give out in promos. Now they do it all in-house, and offered the NRA the ability to purchase their customized gear via the Yeti Custom Shop.

NRA didn't wanna be like everybody else and wanted a narrative.

GTFO. Yeti are anti-gun libtards that want nothing more than to take your guns and melt them down, and watch your family die in home invasions.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info