Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Passed away in her sleep. 46 years old.

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/21/6221...edrew-the-lines-of-animal-human-communication

"The Gorilla Foundation is sad to announce the passing of our beloved Koko," the famous research center says, informing the world about the death of a gorilla who fascinated and elated millions of people with her facility for language.

Koko, who was 46, died in her sleep Tuesday morning, the Gorilla Foundation said. At birth, she was named Hanabi-ko — Japanese for "fireworks child," because she was born at the San Francisco Zoo on the Fourth of July in 1971. She was a western lowland gorilla.

"Her impact has been profound and what she has taught us about the emotional capacity of gorillas and their cognitive abilities will continue to shape the world," the Gorilla Foundation said.

Throughout her life, Koko's abilities made headlines. After she began communicating with humans through American Sign Language, she was featured by National Geographic — and she took her own picture (in a mirror) for the magazine's cover.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
WOODSIDE, California (AP) - Two former caretakers who refused to bare their breasts to a 300-pound (136-kilogram), sign-language-speaking gorilla named Koko have settled a lawsuit against the Gorilla Foundation.

Nancy Alperin and Kendra Keller claimed they were fired after they refused to expose their bosoms to the primate, and after reporting sanitary problems at Koko's home in Woodside, an upscale town south of San Francisco.

The pair claimed they were threatened that if they "did not indulge Koko's nipple fetish, their employment with the Gorilla Foundation would suffer," the lawsuit alleged.

oh my god

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
The Gorilla Foundation, home to Koko the gorilla who speaks sign language, is being sued for $1 million by two former employees. Nancy Alperin and Kendra Keller claim they were fired because they wouldn't show Koko their breasts. From the San Francisco Chronicle:

One example (from the lawsuit): "On at least two incidents in mid-to-late June 2004, (foundation president Francine) Patterson intensely pressured Keller to expose herself to Koko while they were working outside where other employees could potentially view Keller's naked body. ... On one such occasion, Patterson said, 'Koko, you see my nipples all the time. You are probably bored with my nipples. You need to see new nipples. I will turn my back so Kendra can show you her nipples.'"

...The suit, in any case, says that Patterson would interpret hand movements by Koko as a demand to see exposed human nipples. She warned Alperin and Keller that their employment with the foundation would suffer, the suit says, if they "did not indulge Koko's nipple fetish."

During at least three visits, the suit says, "Patterson communicated to Alperin that exposing one's breasts to Koko is a normal component to developing a personal bond with the gorilla."

ohmygod

i had no friggen idea

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info