My day in LA

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
So I'm driving to the local grocery store and talking to my brother on the phone. He drives an 8 year old Acura TLX and we always joke about how mediocre his car is. Sometimes I'll mention newer, less mediocre (but still mediocre) Acuras that I see and I'll suggest he upgrades. It's not funny but we're brothers so we have a good ole laugh.

So I'm pulling into the parking lot and I see a new NSX and I joke around that he should buy one. I park and the guy parks in front of me. New NSXs and new Ford GT's are rare enough that you look to see who's driving them because it's probably someone recognizable. And wouldn't you know it... it's Jay Leno. Dude just parks in a space in the middle of everything with an abandoned shopping cart a foot in front of him, gets out and goes in. I wanted to say something but I have a pretty firm "don't be that guy" rule. So I didn't. BUT THEN...

We're in the store and he just pops up a foot away from us to grab something. I look at him and we both know I know who he is. So I pull out my best Grade A dad humor and I'm like "I see you brought the beater out today!". He laughs and I take that as a solicitation for part two of my comedy genius: "I hope things pick up for you". He laughs again. We're basically best friends now. He tells me it drives really well and I told him I know, I think I saw it on the show. As I was saying this I was backing away as to not suggest with my body language that I'd be sticking around. And then I was a ghost.

He was super nice. He actually seemed like he was open to talking about it but the uncertainty of whether or not he was just being polite by talking to me or whether he actually is always that on about talking about cars crept into my head and I reverted back to my "don't be that guy" rule. Honestly though, I think he's just that in to them and ready and willing to talk.

wRpfeyo.jpg

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
Cool story bro....

I actually met him in Vegas at a Bud convention. I get Star struck and forget how to function as a human being around famous people so I couldn’t put a sentence together. I did get to shake his hand and he has unusually large pillow hands. He seemed really cool and not a snobbish a hole.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
He seems like a down to earth guy. You see he shows up at Cars & Coffee and other local events with his cars too. Not someone who sends his car to shows but actually is there talking to people showing off and talking about his car. Many of which people have never seen in person. He has a collection that he drives and enjoys. Props to him for having and sharing it.

There are not too many celebrities I would want to meet. He would definitely be high up in that short list.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Reminds me when I was at the Schaumburg Hooters at a small TCG meet. This was in the early days of TCG. We were waiting for a table. I saw a seat at the bar that for some reason no one was sitting at. I sat down then looked at the guy next to me and it was Pauly Shore. I did nothing but nod, then seconds later our table was called.

CSB

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Reminds me when I was at the Schaumburg Hooters at a small TCG meet. This was in the early days of TCG. We were waiting for a table. I saw a seat at the bar that for some reason no one was sitting at. I sat down then looked at the guy next to me and it was Pauly Shore. I did nothing but nod, then seconds later our table was called.

CSB

Either Pauly Shore was a regular there or I was with you guys that day. He was standing at the bar yeah?

Edit: I'm a dumbass. You literally said he was at the bar. :rofl:

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Not one picture of him? Come on man! If I can take stalker pics of hot chicks, you can get a pic of Leno. That's awesome tho. Definitely a great bar story.

My brother was insisting but I just wasn't going to do it. Our cars were facing each other and it would have been so obvious. There are celebrities at my son's school and it's just kind of an unspoken thing that you maintain your shit. I guess that kind of bleeds over into real life too.

I broke this code once and it was to tell Esai Morales' wife that I was simultaneously turned on by and terrified of her husband. :rofl: He was the druglord in Ozark. And I only made that exception because I see her almost every day and I knew she'd think it was funny.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Cool story bro....

I actually met him in Vegas at a Bud convention. I get Star struck and forget how to function as a human being around famous people so I couldn’t put a sentence together. I did get to shake his hand and he has unusually large pillow hands. He seemed really cool and not a snobbish a hole.

That was half of it. Other than my shtick I had nothing ready to go. He was nice enough that I was beating myself up over not talking to him about the car. It almost would have been better if he brushed me off. Not really but at least I wouldn't have all these what if's to deal with for the rest of my life.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info