My Tahoe is totaled

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Wifey and 2 other cars got plowed by a drunk driver about 2 hrs ago on her way home from work. 99% sure there is frame damage. Sucks because I bought of the original owner and it ran like a champ. Wifey refused to go to hospital but now she is getting very sore. So we will probably be going tonight or tomorrow. Kid was driving on a revoked for DUI, was drunk today and they found drugs on him. Wouldn’t tell us what type of drugs. My Wife said he got out of car had no shoes on, and no shirt on. Put his shirt and shoes on, grabbed a bunch of stuff and put in a book bag and took off. Schaumburg cops found him hiding in Starbucks. He was driving the white Lexus and is insured thru State Farm. Pics to follow.

Wife has never been in a car accident. In the last month she has been hit twice
Smfh

Update on 6/19
So the plot thickens and is un fucking believable.
I sent Angela an email and waiting to get her thoughts.

Schaumburg PD called the wife last night while I was at the Cubs game.
Apparently it wasnt the drunk kids fathers car it was his GF fathers car.
Now the GF and her father are claiming this kid stole the car from them.
Cop from Schaumburg said she is 1000000% sure its bullshit and will do everything in her power to not let that happen. The cop thinks by them doing that, it will not hold their insurance liable for the 3 cars he plowed in to.

6/21 update
Allstate is accepting all liability for the accident. The father and daughter both said the BF stole the car, but both had 2 different stories, lol. Upon further questioning and I’m sure some threats to arrest the daughter for fraud she admitted she let him drive the car. So all of that was on the police report, Allstate could not deny liability after that,lol. Adjuster was at my house earlier today before we got the good news. He seems to think it’s repairable, I don’t see that happening. Rear passenger door hangs and rubs very bad when opening and closing and the 1/4 panel wasn’t hit. Drivers side front door does it as well but not nearly as bad and the front fender has no damage. Not an expert but that makes me think frame damage. So anyway it goes to my choice of body shop tomorrow and I get a rental until fixed or totaled out.

6/29 update
Well after a bunch of back and forth with the body shop. I just rcvd a call from Allstate and they are going to total it out. No buy back price yet as I have to wait for the person who handles the financials of totaled vehicles to call me back and issue a check. But I'm getting more than what I paid for the truck 6 months ago. Didnt know they gave you tax/title/registration when totaling a car out.
$6053 for the truck
$655 for tax/title
$120 for registration

Last edited:

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
1529275433258.jpg

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Wtf !! 2nd drunk driver story in a week crashing cars on here. Glad your family is ok.

2 things, I kinda thought an airbag would’ve gone off in that? And I’m surprised there’s no geyser of water after taking out a hydrant lol.

She called me balling her eyes out and told me she was on top of a fire hydrant. My first thought after asking her if she is okay is I’m gonna pull up to the scene and see a fire hydrant shooting everywhere. We are wondering the same about the airbag. She literally was pushed about 50’ from the impact.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Sorry to hear about the Tahoe and glad your wife isn't seriously hurt.

Definitely go to the hospital and get her thoroughly checked out. Insurance claims are patially based on how much money you spend for medical, both insurance and out of pocket. Often, the insurance company will not give you enough for the vehicle to reimburse you for your actual loss so it's good to have the medical to balance that out. Of course, if your wife is hurt, it's best to find it out right away. My administrative assistant was in a pretty severe motorcycle crash and didn't get a thorough check up. Ended up costing her over $10Gs out of pocket in medical expenses.

I did tell her multiple times to get checked out but she didn't listen until too late. She ended up needing surgery to repair a cracked bone in her chest and has a large scar now.

Good luck with the whole process and best wishes for your wife.

Spectragod

Addict
Oct 13, 2010
Dayton Ohio
Glad your wife’s ok, who is your insurance with? You may want to go through them and have them go after the other driver through subrogation .

Second, tell the hospital that this is from a auto accident where you were not the at fault driver, they will give you paperwork to fill out for them to get paid by the other driver.

If the offending drivers insurance gives you any static, lawyer up, plenty will do it pro bono and they get 1/3 of what’s recovered.

I am not an attorney, but through a series of car accidents over the last 2 years, I have learned a lot, 2 crashes done, 1 pending, drunk hit my wife while crossing the street and broke her arm.

Good luck, hope for the best with your wife.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Glad your wife’s ok, who is your insurance with? You may want to go through them and have them go after the other driver through subrogation .

Second, tell the hospital that this is from a auto accident where you were not the at fault driver, they will give you paperwork to fill out for them to get paid by the other driver.

If the offending drivers insurance gives you any static, lawyer up, plenty will do it pro bono and they get 1/3 of what’s recovered.

I am not an attorney, but through a series of car accidents over the last 2 years, I have learned a lot, 2 crashes done, 1 pending, drunk hit my wife while crossing the street and broke her arm.

Good luck, hope for the best with your wife.

Thanks man and we are actually going thru our insurance (safco) right now for my wife’s Cherokee. Some chick hit her a few weeks ago with some insurance company we never heard of. They kept giving us the run around so paid our deductible and went thru ours. I only have liability and comp on the Tahoe so not sure I could go thru them.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
How old is the Tahoe and what's the engine? Just wondering if you should consider buyback for the powertrain. Sucks on that though, they're good vehicles. Hope the wifey is okay though, that's what really counts tbh.

Thanks
2004 with the 5.3 and 164,000 miles. I don’t want to buy it back, but when we get that far I will post it on here in case anyone wants it.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I know everyone already said it, but glad your wife is okay! The ole' truck did it's job protecting her, so that's a great positive. Crazy about those sun visors, I didn't notice that until you mentioned it. What a big hit. Hopefully the DUI douche gets what's coming to him.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
1) I'm glad the wifey is ok.

2) the only pic I can see, is one of the last ones where it is behind a Honduh accord. So going on that pic, and not seeing any front end damage (my guess is all damage is on the drivers side), tells me exactly why the airbags DIDN'T go off. Unless you have side curtain airbags (which I don't believe GMT800's had), the only time they'll go off is if you hit something with the front end and you compress it enough to trigger the sensor.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Glad the wife is okay, definitely get checked out though just in case as others have mentioned....

Can someone please figure out why his pictures are always sideways please? :s00ls:

lol, If I turn my phone sideways and take the pic then they come out fine on here. Not sure why, but only happens here. If I post pics from my phone on HC Forum they come out fine no matter which way my phone was.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
i know where that is at. Did he really run across the street and hide in that Starbucks....

glad your wife was not seriously injured, and is doing okay.
sucks about the truck.
unless i am missing stuff, looks like you will need bumpers, grill, headlight. unless there is frame damage i don't see why this couldn't be fixed.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info