Elon Musk, now Chicago machine politician.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Or they could simply run some
Express trains from O’Hare to the loop. It would be around the same amount of time or very slightly slower.

#mindblown because Illinois

I’m sure those were the other bids.

Boring company is paying for 100% of the project. Likely a major factor in choosing them.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
They'll quickly pass some silly policies to ensure that "the Chicago machine" still gets oiled.

It's like showing your vehicle off at McCormick Place (World of Wheels, Vettefest, yada, yada) and if you want electricity in your rented area, you have to pay a fee to have some licensed electrician on the machine's payroll, to come plug in the extension cord, even though the outlet is 3ft away.

"Oh, you want to plug your boring machine in... Hold on!"

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
They'll quickly pass some silly policies to ensure that "the Chicago machine" still gets oiled.

It's like showing your vehicle off at McCormick Place (World of Wheels, Vettefest, yada, yada) and if you want electricity in your rented area, you have to pay a fee to have some licensed electrician on the machine's payroll, to come plug in the extension cord, even though the outlet is 3ft away.

don't you dare use your own non-union installed electrical cord. They will send the boys to cut it. 3 of them to do the job, 1 to cut the plug, 1 to remove the cord, and a supervisor.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Also I didn’t realize the travel between O’Hare and Chicago was that bad or in such a demand. I would think tunnels would better serve to help ease traffic on 55 and 90

Tons of consultants/contractors coming in and out of the big firms that would use this vs a long cab ride for twice the price. I feel like this would ease traffic on 90 a bit as most of it builds up between downtown and ohare at least when I still drove it every day.

Express trains on the blue line can only go so fast (50-60mph vs 100+) and are still going to maybe be able to run once an hour vs every 2-3 minutes for these.

Will be curious to see how it goes. Seems like the Boring company is taking all the risk here to prove themselves.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood

It's the same at every single convention hall I've been to.... Need to pay some guy to bring your display to your booth... You want electricity? Extra cost plus need them to run it...

Some of the companies with huge displays must be paying out the ass for the setup time

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
It's the same at every single convention hall I've been to.... Need to pay some guy to bring your display to your booth... You want electricity? Extra cost plus need them to run it...

Some of the companies with huge displays must be paying out the ass for the setup time

you want 1.5Mbps down/384Kbps upload Internet too? That will be $5,600 + setup fees. Need a union guy to run the cat6 feeder, another guy to tape it to the floor, another guy to config the router, plus 2 supervisors. Oh its 2:59 pm? That does not include overtime.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010

IMTS runs us about 1 mil. but that also includes hotels for all our sales and service guys staying downtown, flying people in from out of state, passes for everyone to go, trucking for everything to get there and back, ect. ect.

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area
The Chicago union mafia will go off the rails (pun intended) if Boring company isn't using con-artist union labor. We'll have more inflatable rats than this world has ever seen before!

My prediction, the unions and corruption in Chicago somehow ruin this.

My 1st thought also, but if he brings in his own skilled labor, and "ATTEMPTS" to hire locally for general labor, they can't say jack.
They offered local labor opportunities, but the unions didn't want them.

When my company goes out of town to do a project, the locals can't say jack.
They didn't have a local company qualified to do the project, so what else could they do but find someone that could!!!

For the record, this is exactly how this country should work.
Private enterprise spends their money on a project, if they screw it up, that's their problem.
Tax payers being black mailed into paying for private corporations is ridiculous!!!!
If they go bankrupt, too bad. Run your business better.
Give us money or we will fire 1000's of workers is extortion.
Give us a free stadium or we are moving.
Give us no tax deals or we are moving.
We should never negotiate with terrorists.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info