Question about airfare pricing

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I know some of you are experts here on TCG when it comes to airfare pricing.
Looking to fly to Denver departing either early morning Friday July 27th or evening of Thursday July 26th. Returning Monday July 30th, pretty flexible on time we come home. Paying for 4 adult tickets so trying to keep as cheap as possible, fucking rental car is like $400 (small suv) for those days as well. Am I better off waiting till we get closer to departure date or book something now as prices might go up?

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Sometimes u can find last minute deals on southwest..... but that’s like the day of or right before if the plane isn’t full. Normally that’s only to common destinations like orlando or Vegas. I caught a 40 dollar orlando flight last year but it was 20 hours before we departed lol!!

It was on the news the other day that airfare was going to be going up now due to jet fuel pricing.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
last minute deals USED to be a thing though... early on in my consulting years it was "what are you up to this weekend? nothing? lets go to vegas".

Pretty sure the whole industry put a stop to it.. site59.com I remember was one of the big last minute deal sites and now redirects right to travelocity.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I really like the google flights search. It nice using the map to find out where you can go for the cheapest during specified dates. Also if you have a destination in mind you can view a calendar. The only thing I don't like is it does not have pricing for Southwest and I wish there was a box you can check to search by award miles. If you see a "deal" jump on it is my advice. a few months ago I was randomly searching for flights between Christmas and New Years. Seeing as snow conditions in the Midwest have been unreliable the past few years this might be a good time to go out west and rent a sled. Found RT tickets on UA to Jackson Hole for 32K miles. IDK why I didn't just book it and decide if I am going later because you can cancel reservations with miles with no penalty. Same flight was $1200 RT yesterday when I looked. :ugh: You also need to remember mostly anywhere that you are flying a regional jet into is going to be more money. Denver shouldn't be that hard to find a good price. Just be flexible with times and try to select dates/times that business travelers do not use. A for the rental car if you don't NEED a small SUV I wouldn't reserve one. You can get a much better deal getting something else.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
they used to have a much more difficult time flying full planes, which is why bankruptcies were more frequent too.

with modern computing and algos they've got pricing down better than ever and planes are flying fuller than ever.

i had an interesting experience last year where i chose to go through istanbul on the way to the philippines, to fly on turkish and chill in their lounge. they had a big snowstorm (uncommon) so things became an epic shit show. anyway long story short, i was one of the few people who flew out on their original flight, and turkish surprisingly has a direct one to manila. most people went the day before though - my flight actually had 7 people on it iirc. i was the only one with an uninterrupted schedule, but was still one of the 5 whose bags they lost. whole 737 for just us though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info