CNN's Anthony Bourdain dead at 61 - CNN

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
ya he plays it off... but once you are a full blown addict on hard drugs your not supposed to even drink a drop. way too much risk for relapse.. maybe he's right and continued to abstain but he's still off'd himself so something was still pretty wrong obviously.

"Most people who kick heroin and cocaine have to give up on everything. Maybe cause my experiences were so awful in the end, I've never been tempted to relapse."

https://www.thefix.com/content/anthony-bourdain-addicted-past91330

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Mental illness and depression are no joke.

What sucks is, as an addict and someone who constantly partook in drinks, it would've been highly inadvisable for him to be on anti anxiety/depression medication. With him traveling 200+ days per year, it's likely that he didn't have someone consistent to talk to regarding his struggles. When he's out in the middle of nowhere, it's hard to just pop on the cell phone and call.

That said, and I know it's an extremely unpopular opinion around these parts, medications can, and more often than not, do help. The problem lies with doctors and patients who think that these medications are cure all's, and taking them is good enough. Drugs are only as good as the rest of the treatment. If a doctor just throws a bunch of anti-psychotics at someone, and does no follow up, that is a recipe for failure. They absolutely NEED to be paired with some sort of cognitive therapy. It's like putting a bandage on a broken arm. The arm is going to stay broken until someone comes along and helps set it back straight.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info