any of you into 3D printing

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I was just wondering what software you guys are using to actually make stuff to print? I'm also wondering if anyone does it as a service, and has a printer big enough to do a V8 intake manifold. Thinking Long term project, but just wondering what viability is around doing something like that. I don't need water or a valley tray, just runners, flanges and plenum.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Are you just using it as a mock-up? You need a special printer (hot) and filament to survive the heat if it's going to be used on the car. And I doubt anyone on here has a printer big enough to do an entire intake plenum, it most certainly would have to be done in parts and glued together.

Are you just wanting to make something look cool? Making one from scratch in NX or whatever design software is going to cost a lot of $$$ if you're not doing it yourself.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Also, what kind of car? You might get lucky and someone already has a file they can share with you. I doubt thingiverse has anything like that, but you can go on there and peep all the cool stuff people share for others to DL and use.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Are you just using it as a mock-up? You need a special printer (hot) and filament to survive the heat if it's going to be used on the car. And I doubt anyone on here has a printer big enough to do an entire intake plenum, it most certainly would have to be done in parts and glued together.

Are you just wanting to make something look cool? Making one from scratch in NX or whatever design software is going to cost a lot of $$$ if you're not doing it yourself.

Also, what kind of car? You might get lucky and someone already has a file they can share with you. I doubt thingiverse has anything like that, but you can go on there and peep all the cool stuff people share for others to DL and use.

Real prelim and part of the reason I'm asking. Yeah I would be designing it myself. I don't see that is a huge deal tbh. If I could put in threaded bosses I'd almost rather flange at the plenum/runners anyways just so that the length can be varied easily for tuning or CID changes.

One of the cool things about the engine I'm doing this for is it's a Traditional Pontiac. The actual part I'd be doing would have no exposure to coolant, exhaust or oil which should help considerably.

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL
oh, i have a bunch of friends with 3d printers, but for something large there are commercial companies that will print up your design for a fee.
I recall running into a company at the manufacturing show that will 3d print your stuff, check for tolerances, and can even do aluminum casting using something like the lost wax method (destructive to the mold)

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
My printer is only 8X8. You will have to pay some decent money to get a full size manifold even without much detail.

As far as creating the manifold, I wouldnt have much help for you since I do not have much CAD experience. I know there are free software solutions out there, but I personally have not tried them.

Here is a list of free cad programs you can try to use.

https://www.lifewire.com/top-free-cad-packages-485330

You can always try shapeways as well, but they are pretty expensive. Up side is that they print in many different materials.

https://www.shapeways.com/

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info