HVAC Experts please chime in

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Turned AC on for the first time this year. It turns on runs about 2-3 minutes and shuts off. Turns back on about 5-6 minutes later and does the same. Also the fan is making a noise like its hitting something, but I already 100% confirmed its not hitting anything. Its an older Kenmore from 1991 and has ran flawlessly since we bought the house 15 years ago. Every year I clean the coils, oil the fan, and clean everything else. My uncle who passed away was a HVAC guy and showed me how to do the yearly maintenance on it. Only thing I have changed since last year was install a Nest T-Stat but that has been fine all winter.
Thoughts???

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Which fan is making noise, inside or outside?

Is the furnace itself cycling or just the outdoor unit every couple minutes?

Take the thermostat off the wall and jump the red wire to the yellow, does it stay running?

Shit sorry just saw this, was out working on the pool.
Just the outdoor unit cycles and the outdoor fan is making noise.
Will jump those wires right now

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I only ask cause not sure what people are adding control wise..... is there a fan cycle control on condenser fan? Is there a low psi switch wired into low voltage circuit?
Sorry bud but I cant answer those questions. Dont have a clue when it comes to HVAC other than the little shit my uncle showed me years ago.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Can I leave the red on the yellow to cool the house?
I'm thinking of going to buy a cheap T Stat to see what that does.
AC is still running and fan is not making any noise

Jumping the red to yellow is what the thermostat controls. When it calls for cooling it makes that connection, when it’s satisfied it opens that connection. You can leave it like that but the AC will not stop running until you disconnect the wires.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Jumping the red to yellow is what the thermostat controls. When it calls for cooling it makes that connection, when it’s satisfied it opens that connection. You can leave it like that but the AC will not stop running until you disconnect the wires.
Thank you sir!!! I owe you a beer or 3 if we ever meet.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info