Bought a car in Virginia, how to imported to Illinois?

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I bought a car in Virginia and they refused to give me plates due to not been a resident in that state, how can I drive it safely to Illinois?
Get insurance, Bill of sale and just drive it home. Plate it when home. I don't think you need plates for insurance.

At least that is what I would do.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Best option is to find a trucking company and have it delivered here.

You can sometimes find them already hauling to this area and they won't charge as much.

When I bought my Mach 1 in Virginia, the dealer put a temp tag on it (VA) and arranged it with a private line haul and it was bout $450. Paid cash when the car was delivered.

Best option is to find a trucking company and have it delivered here.

You can sometimes find them already hauling to this area and they won't charge as much.

When I bought my Mach 1 in Virginia, the dealer put a temp tag on it (VA) and arranged it with a private line haul and it was bout $450. Paid cash when the car was delivered.

Are you filthy rich? because I'm first generation MAGA and bought me an $1800 2008 police crown victoria, I can't afford the extra hundreds of dollars for shipping, I'm in rent meets.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
The car does have insurance, have you or anybody you know ventured to drive a car under these terms?
Yeah I wouldn't worry about it honestly. Like mook said, if the owner is willing to leave the plates on that might make it less likely you'll need to deal with police.

I have bought cars in IL and driven them home a couple hours with nothing but a bill of sale and title. I probably should of had insurance too :rofl:

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
Are you filthy rich? because I'm first generation MAGA and bought me an $1800 2008 police crown victoria, I can't afford the extra hundreds of dollars for shipping, I'm in rent meets.

Thats around 750 mile drive, about 75 gals of gas at $4 per/gal thats $300 in just fuel.... about. And you are comfortable driving a $1800 car all that way? Was there no local crown vic's in Chicagoland???? I bought my car from Virginia and had it shipped for $500, but I'm not a Millennial so I'm obviously loaded.....

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
but how is he getting out there? flying? thats another 100-200

But how you gonna get there? Could fly to each Virginia airport for around 115$ one way. So $250 with flight, gas in way home and cheap food.

If you drive there with someone and drive both cars back, then shipping might be cheaper overall.

:repost:

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
And who is paying 4$? Its sub 3$ for regular.

Maybe its 2 fill ups. Those have huge tanks...19 gal according to google.

2 fill ups would be my guess. Maybe $100 tops for the whole drive.

how is he getting out there? clicking his heels? flying? or driving out there???

EDIT: should have read the above 3 posts..... seems like alot of concerned TCG'rs about how hes getting out there....

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I bought the Cadillac in Mississippi and drove it back.

I bought the new van in Oklahoma and drove it back.

As long as you have a Bill of Sale (obviously buying from a dealership you should have a shitload of paperwork), and that YOU are covered by your insurance company (You obviously won't have insurance on that specific vehicle yet as you just purchased it), you will be ok.

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
I drove my 3000GT daily for 6 months without plates with nothing but a bill of sale and insurance while I waited for the title to show up. Got pulled over 13x and ticketed once for no valid registration, but none of those were on the way home with it from Breckenridge, CO. Just drive it back. In the unlikely event that you do get rolled on that trip, just politely explain the situation, show the bill of sale, and show insurance. Will you have the title? That would be even more helpful to show.

P.S. I do not recommend driving the car with the former owner's plates, except maybe for the drive home to avoid suspicion by driving without plates. At least in IL, the plates belong to the owner, not the car.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info