Side cash: what do you do or how do you earn it?

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Like the topic says, does anyone do anything out of the norm to generate play money other than your dedicated income?

I have always kept busy doing things like making lamps out of camshafts and and retrofitting headlights but looking for something else that could be somewhat enjoyable to help fund my hobbies. Considered some form of drop ship online store but have no clue how to get that going.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i've flirted with the idea of selling a product on amazon but haven't actually done it. wrote a kindle book although need to take it across the line too. have made a little money with amazon affiliate stuff but nothing to get excited over. still looking for a jerb right now i need some main cash

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I used to slang some za on the side. The cash wasn't fantastic or anything, but it was some extra cash in pocket. But the wear and tear on the car just wasn't worth it anymore.

I think some of it depends on the place you work for and location. The joint I work for is an independently owned "franchise" in this area. I am at the Geneva location, but there is a St. Charles and a Batavia location also. I know the way they run the deliveries at STC is different than how we do and I hear grumbling from some of their drivers.

At ours, we charge $2.75/delivery. Of which, I get $2.00 plus the tip (no you dirty minded assholes...).

On an "average" weekend, for 8 - 10 hours of total driving, I can make $130 - $150 cash in pocket. On a good weekend, $200+

This past weekend sucked because of Mother's Day. I had 3 runs from 4pm to 7pm. But then all the sudden it exploded and by that time the day driver had left and I ended up with 10 total. And Saturday evening I also had 10.

On bad weather weekends we clean house. During one of those ice storms we had in December or January, I think I had a record 24 runs in one night.

For awhile I did the day shift on Sunday (I changed this past week because of my new role here at Sears frowned upon me working all day Sunday), and we would get catering orders. I made a $40 tip one catering order alone. One time delivering to one of the West Chicago fire departments, I got a $70 tip. A month or two ago for a wrestling tournament at St. Charles East high school, I had to keep going up there to replenish pizzas and I walked away with $50 something alone in tips. Other cool things I got to do was deliver multiple times to Elfstrom Stadium (where the Kane County Cougars play) and was in the broadcast both with them.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Moderator on TCG

money.gif

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I work overtime.

Used to do side work (I do commercial HVAC) but people expect you to drop your whole life anytime they need something and your number gets passed around for “know a guy” referrals. Just not my schtick. If you’re into hustling all kinds of odd jobs you can make a TON of money. I know guys making more working 15-20hrs on side jobs than their day gigs.

If you have a hobby you enjoy, try sellingyiur services or products. This is probably the easiest jump into a real cash flow. But, I’d say don’t take on requests. Say you like to wood work. Make a piece of furniture YOU want to make, then sell it. Taking on requests/clients is a lot of BS to deal with.

Buying and re-selling undervalued junk can net some good cash but you have to do a lot of scrounging and beat the other bottom feeders to it.

#1 thing that has given me more money than anything: having a budget.

If you don’t budget already, give it a shot. I “found” an easy $700 extra money I’d waste on bullshit per month simply because I didn’t track any of it. I spend maybe an hour a month tracking my spending on a google sheet. It costs me $0 and I didn’t have to work for it at all.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I think some of it depends on the place you work for and location. The joint I work for is an independently owned "franchise" in this area. I am at the Geneva location, but there is a St. Charles and a Batavia location also. I know the way they run the deliveries at STC is different than how we do and I hear grumbling from some of their drivers.

At ours, we charge $2.75/delivery. Of which, I get $2.00 plus the tip (no you dirty minded assholes...).

On an "average" weekend, for 8 - 10 hours of total driving, I can make $130 - $150 cash in pocket. On a good weekend, $200+

This past weekend sucked because of Mother's Day. I had 3 runs from 4pm to 7pm. But then all the sudden it exploded and by that time the day driver had left and I ended up with 10 total. And Saturday evening I also had 10.

On bad weather weekends we clean house. During one of those ice storms we had in December or January, I think I had a record 24 runs in one night.

For awhile I did the day shift on Sunday (I changed this past week because of my new role here at Sears frowned upon me working all day Sunday), and we would get catering orders. I made a $40 tip one catering order alone. One time delivering to one of the West Chicago fire departments, I got a $70 tip. A month or two ago for a wrestling tournament at St. Charles East high school, I had to keep going up there to replenish pizzas and I walked away with $50 something alone in tips. Other cool things I got to do was deliver multiple times to Elfstrom Stadium (where the Kane County Cougars play) and was in the broadcast both with them.

I worked for Lou Malnati's in Palatine, which was great to its drivers. The only problem was, they would get scared and load up on drivers, so you'd only end up taking singles or maybe a double. I'd really only work on week nights for 3-4 hours at most. I'd like to hit $80 ir $100, but when I was walking away with 4 deliveries and maybe $25, it just really wasn't worth it.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
We do doubles and sometimes triples when slammed. On Saturday night we run with 3 - 4 drivers. Sunday it's the two of us (the day/evening guy... which is what I was doing, and then the night closer which is what I am doing now).

A lot of the time, when we do doubles in general conditions is when we're going to a geographical stretch of the delivery area just to be efficient. It's stupid for me to go to a northerly St. Charles or West Chicago location, only to have to send another driver that way.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Back in the day, I loaded up the triples on the reg, with the odd quad in there. Saturday and Sunday we'd carry 6 maybe 7 drivers on a busy night. Now, it's like 9 or 10, which you just can't make money with.

Most I'd ever done on a week night was 23 deliveries (on a Wednesday of all days)

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I started buying/selling cars, ATV's, dirt bikes, etc... anything that I could buy for less than I could sell it for when I was like 16-17. Over the past 10 years I've just done more and more and found my niche in vocational trucks, landscape and construction equipment and have turned it into my full time "job". I really don't even deal with the general public anymore at this point. I buy from large auctions and resell at smaller, regional auctions that are specific to the item I'm selling.

I also do snow removal and recently have started doing some field service work on class 5-8 trucks and equipment and would eventually like to have a full time mechanic doing field service repair in one of my trucks. I essentially am comfortable with the income the buy/resell brings in and am just throwing darts at a wall trying to get something to stick for my next venture because quite frankly it just doesn't occupy enough of my time and I'm bored lol.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I work overtime.

Used to do side work (I do commercial HVAC) but people expect you to drop your whole life anytime they need something and your number gets passed around for “know a guy” referrals. Just not my schtick. If you’re into hustling all kinds of odd jobs you can make a TON of money. I know guys making more working 15-20hrs on side jobs than their day gigs.

If you have a hobby you enjoy, try sellingyiur services or products. This is probably the easiest jump into a real cash flow. But, I’d say don’t take on requests. Say you like to wood work. Make a piece of furniture YOU want to make, then sell it. Taking on requests/clients is a lot of BS to deal with.

Buying and re-selling undervalued junk can net some good cash but you have to do a lot of scrounging and beat the other bottom feeders to it.

#1 thing that has given me more money than anything: having a budget.

If you don’t budget already, give it a shot. I “found” an easy $700 extra money I’d waste on bullshit per month simply because I didn’t track any of it. I spend maybe an hour a month tracking my spending on a google sheet. It costs me $0 and I didn’t have to work for it at all.

I do this, I used to work on people’s cars all the time, stuff always ends up jacked up. Someone cut a corner at some point in time and I felt it my job to make it right. In the end I was making like 15 bucks an hour most of the time and it wasn’t worth it, now I just go to work when I want more money and having 16 days a month off makes it easy to have time for more work when the mood strikes

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Used to;
Work at Durty Nellies
Drive a tow truck
Detail cars
Snow removal
Private security
Operate equipment
Bury utility lines in backyards (nightmare job for some, doesn’t even feel like work to me)

What I do now;
Work very little overtime and hang out with my son. If I could find a trustworthy sitter I’d easily work all the OT they’d give me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info