Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Putting aside whatever your opinion is on global warming and all that comes with it, I gotta ask.....how long before we have a mass marine life extinction? For 1, we still know so little about the oceans and 2...we really are fucking them up daily....

Overfishing, coral bleaching (another hot topic), oil spills, warming waters, etc etc...I cant imagine the big predators not taking a hit over the next 20 years or so...as the meal fish start to vanish, the big guys are gonna be the first to go.

Thoughts? I love nature doc discussions.

giphy.gif

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
I don't think anyone human can grasp just how big the oceans are....

No doubt we're fucking them royally... But thats like plucking blades of grass in Texas kinda big...

That podcast that someone posted awhile definitely sounded like a solid plan to help clean up the oceans... They won't be clean in our lifetime, at best just sustainable

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I would tend to agree with you that people have a negative impact on ocean life. I am just not convinced by the current research that screams bloody murder. Our data is still quite minimal in the scope of time to convince me one way or another. The bleaching deal seems crazy, but it is possible that it is a normal cycle. Over fishing does seem to be a local concern that could easily be addressed with sustainable harvesting practices.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I realize a lot of these types of shows are semi propaganda (for good reason) but watching whales carry around their dead calves because they were poisoned by plastic, toxins, etc....its depressing...especially since most marine life is extremely intelligent.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Pollution really is the biggest tragedy that we can control. Unfortunately there are countries all over the world that don’t give a fuck. We barely give one.

You are not lying.... In China in the modern hotels they do not have windows that open, instead they use air purifiers at all times.... But yea, I'd like to see numbers, but God damn those foreign places, anything goes....

My GF watched dog kennels get scraped and hosed off down into a pond where the next day fisherman we're dragging for fish to take to market..... No regulations, no care...

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
To be fair, a lot of foreign countries are trying to remedy what they've done, China included..but you've got places like India where the population is exploding and their rivers and waters are DISGUSTING.

Watch Jeremy Wade's Mighty Rivers (I think the finale is next week) - he has been checking out all the major rivers to see the health of them....informative shit.

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
Agent Smith in The Matrix said it best. "Humans are a cancer to this planet."

The earth is always going to be fucked up in some way as long as were around, because most of the people on the planet just don't give a shit. No way around it. The more the population grows, the worse it's going to get, because there's more careless people than there are people who try to minimize their impact. The United States is actually pretty clean when you consider the more populated countries like China and India, who live like pure animals. They throw everything into the water and have no standards.

Well I try not to litter . Lots people don't even care . I bet there are 100 million cigarette butts floating in the ocean.

Cigarette butts are not really even a concern, they are bio-degradable, made with paper and cotton. It's the plastics and aluminum cans that are the problem.

P40E

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2012
Agent Smith in The Matrix said it best. "Humans as a cancer to this planet."

The earth is always going to be fucked up in some way as long as were around, because most of the people on the planet just don't give a shit. No way around it. The more the population grows, the worse it's going to get, because there's more careless people than there are people who try to minimize their impact. The United States is actually pretty clean when you consider the more populated countries like China and India, who live like pure animals. They throw everything into the water and have no standards.

Cigarette butts are not really even a concern, they are bio-degradable, made with paper and cotton. It's the plastics and aluminum cans that are the problem.

It's still garbage . Billions on the ground or in a land fill or in the ocean . Just look at any road at any 10 ft. section I bet you see a butt .

I brought cigarette butts up because people are so non caring about trash and littering that it becomes second nature to a smoker to flick their butts where ever . No concern at all . And thats just a tiny cigarette butt .

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
It's still garbage . 100 million pieces . Just look at any road at any. 10 ft section I bet you see a butt .

They are everywhere, no doubt, and it's disgusting. Your 100 million estimate is probably WAAAAY low compared to the real number. Try billions. But my point is they bio-degrade over a short period of time, so they really don't have much of an impact on the environment. Rain water and the elements break them down and they go back into the earth, unlike plastics and metals.

You might be able to argue the chemicals in them might effect something. But that's a stretch.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I’ve got bad news guys: *per capita* the US is the biggest producer of garbage...by a large margin. And we’re near the top at pollution per capita

I agree it’s a tragedy what humans do to the ocean. Someone should make an “end of Mankind as we know it” movie (like inferno) but the second half of the movie should show what happens AFTER most humans are gone or severely reduced in population. I get mad when they stop the “bad guy” lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info