Poor girl... Let me HELP you remove that dress...

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
So as NOT to offend any more people of such descent.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/teen-defe...n-110304598--abc-news-fashion-and-beauty.html

First part of the story;
One Utah teenager's prom dress has sparked a heated debate on the controversial issue of cultural appropriation.

Keziah Daum, an 18-year-old senior at Woods Cross High School, Utah, received backlash after she posted photos of her dressed in a red qipao, a traditional Chinese dress, on prom night.

After she posted them online, many on Twitter were quick to criticize her choice of wardrobe, accusing her of appropriating the Chinese culture, given she is not of Chinese descent.

One of the first criticisms came from a Chinese American student who shared Daum’s post on Twitter with the caption “My culture is NOT your g------ prom dress,” pointing out the origins of qipao and its significance within a marginalized minority.

“For it to simply be subject to American consumerism and cater to a white audience, is parallel to colonial ideology,” the student wrote.

The post has since been retweeted over 41,000 times.

And now for the pics... WOOD!

chinese-prom-dress-ht-01-jpo-180501_hpEmbed_2x3_608.jpg

chinese-prom-dress-ht-jpo-180501_hpMain_16x9_608.jpg

chinese-prom-dress-ht-02-jpo-180501_hpEmbed_2x3_608.jpg

4814c6802816b25479c94ddf532e743e

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
You go, girl.

Daum told ABC News she bought the dress at a vintage store downtown.

“As soon as I saw the dress I knew it was the one,” she said.

At the time, she said, she was only focused on the modesty and subtle elegance of the dress. She said she was not aware of the cultural context that’s deeply embedded with the garment’s history, one that can be traced back to the 17th century.

“Shortly after I got the dress, I decided to do some research,” Daum said.

After a quick search, she found that the qipao, or cheongsam (in Cantonese), came with a rich background and learned how it eventually became a symbol for female empowerment, which Daum said made her “love it even more.”

On prom night, Daum said she received compliments from everyone, including her friends, advisers, fellow students she has never met and even waiters at the restaurant they ate at that night.

“I’m not deleting my post because I’ve done nothing but show my love for the culture. It’s a fucking dress. And it’s beautiful.”

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info