Maybe home built roll cage was not the way to go...

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTwhtCexGxY

cnduw92ne2wypdsxhnrs.jpg

ht9vltvuu7egngpmfass.jpg

lw9tmb3ytglneprzcott.png

*Disclosure* im not a profession fabricator to yes the welds might not look like dimes but unless you were born a professional welder i dont want to here it.

:picard:

Dillard was heading north on Eden Way toward Volvo Parkway when he crashed, said Officer Leo Kosinski, a Chesapeake police spokesman. A Pontiac was traveling the opposite direction, and Dillard lost control and started making a left hand turn, sliding into the other lane and oncoming traffic. The Pontiac couldn’t stop in time and hit Dillard on the passenger rear tire side and spun it out. Dillard was ejected, Kosinski said.

https://jalopnik.com/man-dies-after-crash-in-home-built-honda-civic-based-ka-1825681533

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
I was in a horrible crash that looking at the pictures NO ONE would have survived.

When it is your turn, it is your turn. No shit gonna save you at some point.

Conversely, if it isn't your turn, you get a pass when others may have not. I got that pass and saw that car. Armchair QB'ing will drive you nuts.

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
This must be a big thing now. I saw a car driving home from work the other day.

People probably do this with out researching cages, and how to properly build them. Definitely isn't cool enough to die or get injured over.

View attachment 31809View attachment 31810

I saw this last week Saturday turning onto Nesler Rd. off Rt. 20 on the west side of Elgin. The front had a big Lexus grill on it. Looked like some younger kid was driving it.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Having a metal cage around your head isn't a good idea if you aren't wearing a helmet and a full harness either. The structure might hold up, but your brain won't if you whack it with your skull. RIP :(

According to the story l, he was ejected...judging by the state of the cage, is it possible the harness bar failed and that’s the reason he was ejected?

My biggest issue is that he tried to sell it, and was actively trying to downplay the state of the cage. The welds weren’t great, but he didn’t want to hear about it. But if you look, the welds are many of the points of failure. Plus I question the quality/thickness of the tubing...

I agree that if he was on a bike or in a hot rod, this wouldn’t even be news. But these karts are becoming all the rage, and how many guys are building these at home, custom, with little-no knowledge on cage building, and are trying to pass it along as fully safe? If it’s for your own personal use, whatever, but if you are trying to sell it?

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Its hard to see on the phone but are those zip ties holding the center console on in the interior?

Yes, it looks to be zip ties.

The Lexus I saw looked to be put together better than the Honda in the original post. The guy floored it in front of me on an open stretch of road so I jumped on the 335i as well. It wasn't fast as I had to let out as I was closing up the gap between us quickly. But I guess that is set up for handling. Maybe. If done right.

I saw this last week Saturday turning onto Nesler Rd. off Rt. 20 on the west side of Elgin. The front had a big Lexus grill on it. Looked like some younger kid was driving it.

Ya, the Lexus one is the one in our area. I was on Rt56 in Warrenville when I saw him. I am sure he gets around.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
According to the story l, he was ejected...judging by the state of the cage, is it possible the harness bar failed and that’s the reason he was ejected?

My biggest issue is that he tried to sell it, and was actively trying to downplay the state of the cage. The welds weren’t great, but he didn’t want to hear about it. But if you look, the welds are many of the points of failure. Plus I question the quality/thickness of the tubing...

I agree that if he was on a bike or in a hot rod, this wouldn’t even be news. But these karts are becoming all the rage, and how many guys are building these at home, custom, with little-no knowledge on cage building, and are trying to pass it along as fully safe? If it’s for your own personal use, whatever, but if you are trying to sell it?

i get what you're saying now. that is kinda messed up.

but yeah. you talk to a guy at a car show about his t-bucket with blown small bucket and he's like ITS SO FAST ITS SCARY

well no fuck it's scary, its a fiberglass bucket that the steering wheel is mounted vertically in.

if it had a weedwacker engine it'd be scary. :rofl:

like these rigs:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/d/1923-bucket/6530375521.html

00s0s_7ieGOIanXz3_600x450.jpg

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
i get what you're saying now. that is kinda messed up.

but yeah. you talk to a guy at a car show about his t-bucket with blown small bucket and he's like ITS SO FAST ITS SCARY

well no fuck it's scary, its a fiberglass bucket that the steering wheel is mounted vertically in.

if it had a weedwacker engine it'd be scary. :rofl:

like these rigs:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/d/1923-bucket/6530375521.html

00s0s_7ieGOIanXz3_600x450.jpg

Yeah, the power to weight on a basic T-bucket with a lightly modified small block has to be pretty darn decent. Even crazier with a roots on it. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the ones with blowers are pretty much neutral driven or a few PSI. I'm surprised you don't hear about people getting their heads knocked off in em more.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Yeah, the power to weight on a basic T-bucket with a lightly modified small block has to be pretty darn decent. Even crazier with a roots on it. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the ones with blowers are pretty much neutral driven or a few PSI. I'm surprised you don't hear about people getting their heads knocked off in em more.

right :rofl:

power to weight ratio better than some liter bikes id bet, and then 30" wide 30" tall tires out back :rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info