Illinois trailer inspection's for TC plates & higher

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
When do I need a safety lane inspection?
It is based on your plate type and each plate has a specific weight rating and range. An inspection is required on any truck or trailer “D” plate and heavier. A TC trailer plate may be required depending on what you are using to tow with. Truck B, TB trailer, and TA trailer plates are not required to be inspected.

that's the tricky part.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Mechanical Safety Tests
Most second division and medical transport vehicles must have a Certificate of Safety
before being driven on Illinois highways. Safety inspections are required every six months.
Garages or service stations licensed by the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT)
may conduct safety inspections. Second division vehicles not required to pass safety
inspections include:
TEXT DSD X 142.17.qxp_Layout 1 9/1/17 10:34 AM Page 6
âś— vehicles with a gross weight of 8,000 pounds or less, provided any trailer being
towed is 8,000 pounds or less.
âś— farm tractors, machinery and other implements.
âś— vehicles owned or operated by the city of Chicago that display proof of ownership.
âś— vehicles owned or operated by the federal government that display proof of ownership.
âś— trailers with a gross weight of 5,000 pounds or less.
âś— vehicles registered as recreational vehicles that display proper plates.
âś— properly licensed antique vehicles.
âś— specialized vehicles as defined by statute.
âś— vehicles properly registered in another state.
When a vehicle passes inspection, the operator is issued a Certificate of Safety windshield decal and an inspection report

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

lol fun tidbit from this:

Distracted Driving
Illinois law prohibits the use of handheld cellphones, texting or using other electronic communications while operating a motor vehicle. Hands-free devices or Bluetooth technology is allowed for persons age 19 and older. Illinois law also prohibits the use of headsets while driving. Headsets are defined as any device, other than a hearing aid, that allows a person to hear or receive electronic communications

:rofl: so basically everyone rocking a headset while driving a truck (or any vehicle really) is doing so illegally.

oh. and also the headsets motorcycle people wear to yack at eachother... also technically illegal by that definition.

K

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Wait.. hands free and Bluetooth technologies are allowed. So technically a headset with Bluetooth or voice capabilities, wired or wireless, is legal, yet a dumb plain headset that is wired is illegal?

Lololol that makes so much sense!

nope, a headset in any sense is illegal.

hands free and bluetooth technologies meaning like through your cars stereo's or those stand alone jabra style units and shit like that, are legal.

LAND OF THE FREE BITCHES.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
nope, a headset in any sense is illegal.

hands free and bluetooth technologies meaning like through your cars stereo's or those stand alone jabra style units and shit like that, are legal.

LAND OF THE FREE BITCHES.
No, it says hands-free and Bluetooth technology is allowed for 19 and older.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
No, it says hands-free and Bluetooth technology is allowed for 19 and older.

correct. apparently this is what they want you to think?

i found this:
'

In the state of Illinois, it is illegal for drivers to operate a motor vehicle while wearing a “headset receiver.” Under Chapter 12 of the Illinois Vehicle Code, a headset receiver is defined as any device other than a hearing aid that is worn on a person’s head and enables them to receive electronic communications. The only exceptions to this rule include Bluetooth earpieces that are worn in a single ear for telephone communication, intercom-equipped motorcycle helmets, and headsets used by emergency responders and construction workers.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
B plated F150. I read through all the material you posted and I think I'm more confused than ever. Love the bit about the headset. LOL

I'll call RA Adams and see if they know.

i helped out running a boat storage thing a few years back, and the local municipality would hang out and wait for our customers to leave with their boats and roll them for inspections, but i can't remember what plates they had.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Isn't it technically "if you say you tow under X weight, it's not needed but if you tow above X weight it's needed (in regards to the inspection), despite having a plate that requires it"? I know WI has that whole <3000lb trailer not needing a plate but if you plan on towing over 3k you need a trailer plate but if you say you won't, you don't need a plate?

So if you have a TC plate, get pulled over by a cop and forced to get weighed and you're under the weight but have no inspection, you're technically legal and shouldn't have an issue because you're under the weight. BUT if you were to be over that specific weight with a TC plate and no inspection, you'd be illegal?

This fucking state is fucking retarded reading those laws above.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Isn't it technically "if you say you tow under X weight, it's not needed but if you tow above X weight it's needed (in regards to the inspection), despite having a plate that requires it"? I know WI has that whole <3000lb trailer not needing a plate but if you plan on towing over 3k you need a trailer plate but if you say you won't, you don't need a plate?

So if you have a TC plate, get pulled over by a cop and forced to get weighed and you're under the weight but have no inspection, you're technically legal and shouldn't have an issue because you're under the weight. BUT if you were to be over that specific weight with a TC plate and no inspection, you'd be illegal?

This fucking state is fucking retarded reading those laws above.

i dont think that's how it works, the more i read, the more i think if you have a tc plate, you need an inspection, like end of story.

if you get weighed and you're over tc plate weight rating, you're going to have an even worse time.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
dear god:

Illinois D Plates - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

I think they are cracking down. I do think you need them. And the twice a year inspection.

I just got a ticket for a trailer with tc plates that didn't have a safety inspection sticker on it. Asked the cop what it's gonna cost me, and he said 500 plus 275 court costs. It was a friggin rental trailer! Got the ticket anyways. So been researching the laws.

I've been down this road. Have the $1000 burning sensation still chewing at me.
The law in IL is the truck has to be plated high enough to cover the door sticker GVWR.
B plate and any of the other plates ( fishing, hunting, PV Ect.) are rated for a max GVWR of 8000#. By the letter of the law any truck 250 and 350 needs to be a D plate and have a valid safety sticker to be legal in IL. Also any trailer over a TB is required to have a safety sticker. Not having a safety sticker or it being expired is a Class C misdemeanor and they CAN impound the vehicle.
The safety sticker also applies to any 150 or light duty pick up/SUV towing a TC trailer.
Technically a F450 dually needs an F plate to be legal in IL

:rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info