Gaming Today I Completely Disassembled My PS4 Pro. Dear God What Have I Done. Pics Inside

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Last week when God of War came out, I got home from work that day, eagerly opened the game up, slid the disc into the PS4.....and then my disc drive made some funny noises, and I got this message

UNRECOGNIZED DISC

....What..... Ejected the disc, did a hard reboot of the PS4, popped the disc back in. Weird noises.

UNRECOGNIZED DISC

Oh come on!! Took the disc out again, grabbed another game, tried to put that in. Weird noises.

UNRECOGNIZED DISC

Fuck! Started doing some reading. Found that at times, when the firmware updates, its possible for it not to sync w/ the disc drive, so all you have to do is boot the PS4 into safe mode, redownload the latest firmeware, let it reinstall, bobs your uncle, you're gaming again. So I thought sweet! Lets do this. Went thru everything, got back to the main screen, popped God of War back in. Soooon I thought. Weird noises.

UNRECOGNIZED DISC

Well shit.......this means its a hardware issue. So I did some more reading, saw that people said that if you normally have your PS4 horizontal, to put it vertical, and visa versa. So I set my PS4 up vertical, popped the disc in once again and........success!! This however is not a fix. The drive was clearly bad, so I was going to have to replace it. (Side note: This is such a Sony thing. Even back to the OG PS1, mine got to the point where it would only work if it was upside down :rofl: I guess some things never change.)

So I did some more research and this is when I learned that PS4 pro disc drives are not easy to come by. And they're actually slightly different than the drives that are in the normal PS4's. Those use a daughter board that's attached to the drive to "pair" it w/ the motherboard so its recognized. The PS3 drives had this as well. I know because I've replaced the drive on my PS3 also :rofl: The drives in the PS4 Pro's do NOT. The only complete PS4 Pro drives I could find for sale were like $130, and they're pulled from USED PS4's, not even brand new. Then I found just the laser assembly thats INSIDE the drive, and that was $30 and brand new. Yup, we're goin w/ that one and hoping it fixes the problem.

SO, I purchased the laser assembly, a $16 electronics tool kit from amazon, and was ready to go.

v7p7Oip.jpg

Now for the unfortunate part. To get the disc drive out of this system, you literally have to disassemble the ENTIRE console. I used this guide as my bible for the whole process. It was a tremendous help.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/PlayStation+4+Pro+Optical+Drive+Replacement/88799

Welp. Here we go.

M8yQych.jpg

Metal tray off, bottom of the motherboard exposed

G7KVzrr.jpg

Power supply removed

ZIvn7go.jpg

Motherboard out. Warranty most certainly voided.

djudRVN.jpg

The heart of the system.

nsi5rfg.jpg

The heatsink

RN7mGLq.jpg

And finally the drive is out. The ONLY thing left in the shell is just the fan.

P38AAz4.jpg

And disc drive disassembled. Unfortunately that guide stops short of dismantling the actual disc drive, but its pretty easy to figure out.

Fsl6Bu3.jpg

The offending unit finally exposed.

JZapRJm.jpg

I take a second to survey the destruction.

5JGBhG7.jpg

Here's my cheat sheet. I gridded off a couple sheets of paper, and for every step in the guide where you're removing screws, i wrote that step on the paper and placed the screws there. That way when reassembling I could go back to each step and know exactly what screws go to what part.

F0F7c1S.jpg

Got the new laser assembly in, and reassembled everything working backwards thru the guide. Hooked it all back up, turned it on. It turned on. Doing good so far!! Slid the disc in....... No weird noises... tried to start the game.... and.....

tC1WDru.jpg

Success!!!! Had no problems reading the disc.

HOWEVER... As soon as I got into the game, my fan started to spin up. And it got louder....and louder...and louder...mind you im not even doing anything in the game yet. It got to the point where it was on MAX. Spinning faster and louder than anything Ive ever heard. This is not normal.

I had cleaned all the gunky factory thermal paste from the processor and heat sink when I had it apart and reapplied some new stuff, and I didn't put a ton on but it had decent coverage. Definitely put less on than I scraped off because I know youre not SUPPOSED to use a ton. So I thought well where was so much on from the factory maybe it just needs more. So I opened it BACK up, cleaned off what i just put on, and reapplied some more, being generous this time. Screwed everything back down, made sure everything was tight, even bent up the arms of the bracket that holds the processor down a little bit so it would put a little more pressure against the heat sink. Hooked everything back up again, started game again.....was fine for a few minutes, but then once again, fan went to MAX. Played the game for about 10 minutes to see if it would let up. Nope. So I dumped back out to the PS4 dashboard, and let it sit there for 10 minutes with nothing happened to see if the fan would let up. Nope, even there it was still maxxed.

Soooooo, I don't know now. Maybe open it back up again and try LESS thermal paste? I know on computer cpu's you're just supposed to use the thinnest layer you can, but the factory stuff was just glopped on there and it never had to run the fan like this.

But.....at least it reads discs now? :dunno:

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Dude its LOUD. I mean the fan was always loud on this system, and I never thought it could get louder. I was wrong. :rofl: You could dry your hair w/ the amount of air its pushing out of the back of that system. And it did feel like it was getting kinda warm. So..I dont know if I should play it and see if it overheats or what.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
For the fan, is the air coming out hot?
If not, you still could have a contact problem with the heat sink and CPU.

Also, try playing a game that's less complex with simpler graphics. If you don't get the loud fan, then it might be the game you were playing was stressing out the system and might be normal.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I agree with Nytebyte, start it with an old game that won’t stress it so much and see if the fan still goes nuts. What hard drive are you running? My system runs cooler with the SSD drove in it....

I’m guessing you use your PS4 often, my younger brother goes through systems like they’re candy while I’m still on my original launch day PS4.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
For the fan, is the air coming out hot?

I mean there's definitely warmth, and if I put my hand on top of the console you can feel it. I'm sure god of war is a pretty taxing game but I played a lot of it before I fixed the the drive and it definitely wasn't doing this BEFORE I opened everything up.

What kind of thermal paste

arctic silver 5

What hard drive are you running?

I put an SSHD in it.

Maybe thr fan is starting to go bad?

God I hope not :rofl:

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Hm. Well it seems it COULD possibly be God of War thats the cause. It seems a LOT of people are complaining God of War is causing their ps4's to turn into fighter jet mode.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/launch-ps4-pro-fans-very-loud-when-playing-gow.37814/

It’s just the fury of Kratos escaping your PS4, it’s normal.

GOW turns my ps4 pro into a private jet. best 70€ I ever spend. I'll fly to Japan with it tomorrow. Just have to find a comfy seat to put on my ps4 pro.

:rofl:

The OTHER side of it, is that there are 2 different fans that Sony uses. My launch pro definitely has the Delta fan, and for some of the newer models they switched to a Nidec fan, which is substantially quieter. So. Looks like I might be shopping for a new fan after all :rollpicard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZPNmx-aZVM

I still don't understand why it never reacted this way until after I opened it up, but I will try a different game today and see if my PS4 takes flight or not.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Well I don't know. I tried a simple game like Flower, and it was whisper quiet the whole time. So then I fired up the Detroit: Become Human demo, which is 4k/hdr, and after a few minutes of playing the fan was ramped up pretty good. Still not QUITE at God of War levels, but it was still plenty loud and I don't remember it getting this way when playing the demo before. BUT, as soon as the scene is over and it brings you to the flowchart at the end, the fan shuts down almost immediately. And again, the top of PS4 feels warm, but the air coming out isnt really that HOT.

So I think everythings probably OK, I guess I just woke something up in it when I tore it apart :rofl: Either way I'll be shopping for one of those Nidec fans.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
DAMN!

How do you like GOW? I fear I won't like it with it not being Greek again.

It's different. But I've been really enjoying it. The strength of some of the enemies you encounter seems a bit out of whack at times and can cause some great frustration, but other than that, its a great game so far.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
It's not a vibration :rofl: this fan is trying to break earth's gravitational pull. When I put it back together for the SECOND time I made doubly sure every screw was tight and there was no flex or play in anything.

I agree it's probably normal. We'll see what happens when I get this new fan in.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info