Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
giphy.gif

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Am I the only one not seeing how that was avoidable? Where were they supposed to go other than perhaps stopping on the side of the road?

Pull off onto the shoulder miles earlier when they saw their path and the tornado's were going to merge?

Or turn around on their side of the highway and drive in the other direction on the left lane/shoulder. Life and death means normal lane markings don't matter so much. You would need to watch out for oncoming cars but you would be putting distance between you and the tornado.

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
Pull off onto the shoulder miles earlier when they saw their path and the tornado's were going to merge?

Or turn around on their side of the highway and drive in the other direction on the left lane/shoulder. Life and death means normal lane markings don't matter so much. You would need to watch out for oncoming cars but you would be putting distance between you and the tornado.

But that’s assuming the tornado had been formed and was blatantly obvious from miles away. They could have just been driving through a rain storm and came upon a forming tornado. Also they look to be in a rural area so I imagine exits are few and far between.

And fuck that, turning around and driving into oncoming traffic in a rain storm sounds like a great way to win a Darwin Award.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Am I the only one not seeing how that was avoidable? Where were they supposed to go other than perhaps stopping on the side of the road?

But that’s assuming the tornado had been formed and was blatantly obvious from miles away. They could have just been driving through a rain storm and came upon a forming tornado. Also they look to be in a rural area so I imagine exits are few and far between.

And fuck that, turning around and driving into oncoming traffic in a rain storm sounds like a great way to win a Darwin Award.

fucking

:werd:

luckily tcg is armchairing this one also :rofl:

dear god.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
You are talking like they had minutes, or even more than 20 seconds to make a choice. :rofl:

You are going to drive into a ditch at highspeed, while towing what looks like a camper or some sort of trailer, at high speed, and go into oncoming traffic.

Thats not frogger experience. That plain dumb. :rofl:

images

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Video's 54 seconds so they had at least one minute. 65 mph would put them 1 mile further away.

Do you tow your trailer in inclement weather @ 65MPH?

Also, it was stated that the tornado came from BEHIND them. So stop and get hit earlier?

Update:
We just want to thank everyone for an overwhelming amount of support. We are okay! My shoulder is a little sore but nothing seems to be seriously injured. Brandon Boerjan honestly doesn’t have a scratch today, just some soreness.

Also to everyone that is asking. This happened so fast! I honestly got my phone out because the clouds were moving around and I honestly thought it was pretty. Little did I know how fast this would turn from pretty to scary! We thought we were in the clear. Then we passed the hill and saw it. There it was. There was no stopping, no reversing, no going back. We had a 31+ foot camper attached and the tornado pulled us up from behind. I now know the dangers of a tornado. Never would we have thought this would happen to us. We are Blessed to be alive. All glory to God!

Also we want people to take away from this the importance of a seatbelt. Seatbelts helped save our lives. We wouldn’t be here if we weren’t wearing them.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I get your point.

Still, I have seen two tornadoes while I was in a vehicle over the years and I made damn sure not to get close to them and didn't have any trouble staying away. Storm was Pretty? Please.

When she says pulled up from behind, could that be because of the surface area of the trailer and not the fact it was coming up behind them?

"Tornado facts" says tornadoes move between 30 and 70 mph:

How fast do tornadoes move along the ground? 30 miles per hour
Tornadoes generally travel form the southwest and at an average speed of 30 miles per hour. However, some tornadoes have very erratic paths, with speeds approaching 70 mph.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info