radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
:bowrofl: this reminds me of when California tried to ban black cars

Los Angeles painting city streets white in bid to combat climate change | Fox News

California officials are hoping their latest attempt to stem the rising tides of climate change leads to a more socially conscious -- and cooler -- summer.

Officials in Los Angeles have been painting streets white to reduce the effect of urban "heat islands" and combat the effects of climate change.

The LA Street Services began rolling out the project last May, which preliminary testing shows has reduced the temperature of roadways by up to 10 degrees. The project involves applying a light gray coating of the product CoolSeal, made by the company GuardTop.

"CoolSeal is applied like conventional sealcoats to asphalt surfaces to protect and maintain the quality and longevity of the surface," according to the company website. "While most cool pavements on the market are polymer based, CoolSeal is a water-based, asphalt emulsion."

While each coasting could can last up to seven years, they are also pricey, with the estimated cost of $40,000 per mile, the L.A. Daily News reported.

CoolSeal does pass the California skid test in addition to the slip test for wet traction, and is applied in two coats, each 50 microns thick, over an asphalt roadway or a slurry-sealed asphalt roadway, according to the streets department.

By reducing the temperature of the city streets, officials say it can help reduce temperatures in the neighborhoods where the sealant is applied.

With its numerous streets and freeways, Los Angeles suffers from the "heat island" effect, which causes urban regions to become warmer than their rural surroundings, forming an "island" of higher temperatures.

"Heat islands occur on the surface and in the atmosphere," according to the Environmental Protection Agency. "On a hot, sunny summer day, the sun can heat dry, exposed urban surfaces, such as roofs and pavement, to temperatures 50–90°F hotter than the air1, while shaded or moist surfaces—often in more rural surroundings—remain close to air temperatures."

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, who may make a run for president in 2020, has used the project as part of an overall plan to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in the city by 45 percent below 1990 levels by 2025.

"Climate change is a fact of life that people in Los Angeles and cities around the world live with every day. It is a grave threat to our health, our environment, and our economy — and it is not debatable or negotiable," he said in a statement last year after President Trump said he would walk away from the Paris Climate Agreement.

1523372114843.jpg

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Actually, this is somewhat rational believe it or not in terms of theoretical efficacy. They say if everyone went to white roofs the temperature of the earth would lower 2-3 degrees.

That said, I wonder if they're doing it to paint over the needles and feces.

But man, think about the burn out possibilities! They could practically invent a new form of drifting there.

ED:That shit would never happen here either. Imagine the hazzard of "white ice" on the road. Harder to see snow etc. would make it where you'd have people going into ditches left and right!

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Actually, this is somewhat rational believe it or not in terms of theoretical efficacy. They say if everyone went to white roofs the temperature of the earth would lower 2-3 degrees.

That said, I wonder if they're doing it to paint over the needles and feces.

But man, think about the burn out possibilities! They could practically invent a new form of drifting there.

I dont doubt it or the cooling this could theoretically provide, but at the cost and short 7 year lifespan, is it even worth it? I could see new construction/replacement roofs required to be white someday though, especially in Cali

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I was thinking of that too, what are the implications of this? Glare, traction issues? What about all of the painted road markings, cant use white for that anymore.

I'd be curious about the lines, they can add grit to the paint (like blacktop) to make the surface less slick, and theoretically, it shouldn't be that reflective.

The concept of making large swaths of land less heat absorbing is a very logical and a proven concept; however, I would be curious as to the net gain after the paint manufacturing, useful life, and installation. Also maybe they are doing primarily side streets, instead of major roadways. Where lines/markings aren't as prevalent.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010

i'd be more interisted as to the cost per sq mile. a sq mile mile of road can very if 1 lane each way, or 4. HUGE difference in sq mile area.

and id see this being no different than black seal coating. just a different color.

road marking, those can be yellow as this soundsw to more of a grey color than white.

and lets hope this LA mayor does not get his name on the ballot for POUTS 2020. Unites States of LA

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info