Apple announces moving away from Intel CPUs

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
so the "old" (current) intel based macs are now obsolete and will no longer get updates? cool.
also, all the current applications that are x86 based will have to be rewritten to work? or will they be run with emulation?

to me this a stupid money grab. but then again i dont care. i'd never buy an inferior mac computer, intel based or otherwise.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
to me this a stupid money grab. but then again i dont care. i'd never buy an inferior mac computer, intel based or otherwise.

To be fair, so is Intel with requiring all their new processors to use their new chipsets and older mobos with older chipsets are incompatible with "new" Intel processors despite still being 14nm with the exact same LGA 1151 sockets.

It's all a money grab.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
im not sure what i missed, who cares about microsoft and google when talking about apple consumer PCs.

Last I checked Google and MS also make their own hardware, along with Apple. If everyone made their owns hardware and software, GHZ and RAM are just numbers and doesnt show how optimized something is. Dont believe me, look at cell phone data now. iPhones had "less ram and 2013 Samsung tech" yet still outscored GS8 phones on benchmarks.

Imagine the crazy stuff all 3 could do. Not JUST Apple.

To be fair, so is Intel with requiring all their new processors to use their new chipsets and older mobos with older chipsets are incompatible with "new" Intel processors despite still being 14nm with the exact same LGA 1151 sockets.

It's all a money grab.

Yeah, I was getting a little pissed when putting my shit together and running into those issues.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
None of them make their own hardware...

No? They dont? Who makes the Surface again? I could have also sworn Google makes their own phones. Which according to the article, all 3 are looking at chips for other than phones. Stating that ARM chipsets are getting powerful enough to rival mobile Intel chips. Hence why they could/would start making more mobile PC solutions.

Which is smart for all 3 actually.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
No? They dont? Who makes the Surface again? I could have also sworn Google makes their own phones. Which according to the article, all 3 are looking at chips for other than phones. Stating that ARM chipsets are getting powerful enough to rival mobile Intel chips. Hence why they could/would start making more mobile PC solutions.

Which is smart for all 3 actually.

When I was still at CDW Pegatron was manufacturing the Surface. I assume they still are. HTC and LG manufacture Google's phones.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info