Street tires for high hp

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I drive it like I stole it in the street, came into an on ramp heading to work last night at 100 it was 50 out, these et street ss’s have me pretty confident, last year I was able to leave from a 20 roll and hook well, take curves, drive in the rain, only real down side is they dust the back half of the car with Black tire dust from ware, few days worth of driveing and the back is covered in dust

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Any of the drag radials will be fine on the street. Road course? Not so much. The M&H had the softest of any of that drag radials I have used. I had no issues on the street including quick turns and no issues. Just make sure you're not driving around with 12psi in the tires.

I like the NT05-R and run them on my 2015 GT. But they don't work as well in a high horse power car. But great tire if you want a tire you can daily drive or put a lot of miles on.

I have never used a set of drag radials in a year. My cars get driven a lot but are not daily drivers. I also don't do long burn outs or slide around corners all the time. The only year I has to buy new drag radials in one season was when I made a lot of track passes that year. But Ya, sucks to buy tires every year as these things are not cheap. Especially when you are into the 19" or bigger sizes.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Any DR that I’ve ever driven on always had a little wiggle that I didn’t like the feel of. Even fully aired up I felt the confidence of the tire was not there in hard cornering, on ramps, etc.

I just love the way an R compound tire with a stiff sidewall feels. Way better than the mushiness of a DR. In the end I think it boils down to personal preference.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I don't think anyone would say a drag radial is going to have less sidewall flex than a R compound tire for road racing. It is the nature of the beast.

If you want to throw non drag radial tires in the mix than look at a tire like the Michelin, Pilot Support Sports, Sport Cups, or Sport Cup 2. Those are great tires if you want a handling and soft compound. But make no mistake, no R compound tire designed to be home on a road course is going to hook like a drag radial. If you want straight line grip a drag radial will be hard to replace.

Maybe a R compound road race tire and Davis Traction Control System would work best? If you want to spend some Benjamin's.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info