Let's talk about Facebook and Cambridge Analytical

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
is there a thread or post anywhere about facebook users basically handing their information over to the republicans/steven bannon and how it was used :rofl: :rofl:

holy fuck im cracking up

https://www.theguardian.com/news/20...er-christopher-wylie-faceook-nix-bannon-trump

cliffs... remember all those " WHAT KIND OF DINOSAUR WOULD YOU BE?!" or "HOW OPEN MINDED IS YOUR PERSONALITY" fucking tests? :rofl: well that little button you clicked to take said test that said "DO YOU WANT XXX TO BE ABLE TO ACCESS YOUR DATA" was some company harvesting the data of like 230 million fucking people... company with steve bannon :bowrofl:

some gay bro came up with the system, went to the dem's first, the dems were like NAH THAT'S SILLY LET'S NOT USE THAT.

steve bannon was like HOLY FUCK THAT'S GENIUS WE'RE FUCKING IN :rofl:

Definitely does- there was like a 15 minute Channel 4 special on it that's interesting

kinda.

more like hilarious users that give like anything access to anything, and then bitch when they find out how that data was used :rofl:

and 100% reason we are only hearing about this is because the rep's used it... had hilldawg ( who knows, she probably had something similar even) we wouldn't be hearing about it at all :rofl:

The biggest issue I have with this is that Facebook knew what the application (survey thing) was doing- but since the application creator said "it's for research" they're like "oh k, go for it hehe."

Or that facebook is always listening to you.

i know we have had talks before about how a day after you have a convo about something with someone, it would pop up adds for wahtever you were talking about the day before.

When Facebook found out it was being used "maliciously" they told the company to promise to delete the data, but didn't follow up on, you know, seeing if said data was actually deleted :roflpicard:

No more Facebook App or Messenger app on my phone anymore for this exact reason.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
This is a hit piece. Obama was (rightfully) IMO lauded for the use of FB information and technology in 2012. The technology changed the political landscape.

This is REALLY a road FB doesn't want to go down. To do such would be an admission that they provide unequal resources based on political affiliation and would be a bias in the worse way possible due to the idea that it would make it harder for conservatives to access audiences than their liberal counterparts.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
The headlines speak for themselves: Up to 50 million Facebook users had their information used by Cambridge Analytica, a private company, without their knowledge or consent1. That's not okay.

This wasn't a data breach, no one hacked into Facebook or stole passwords. It happened because Facebook allowed apps to access not just sensitive information of people who used those programs – but their friends as well.

Facebook said it’s taken steps to “limit developer access to detailed friend data”, but Facebook’s current default settings leave a lot of questions and a lot of data flying around. One thing is clear though: Facebook needs to step up and respect its users.

lol

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Yup. Saw it happening years ago via their "privacy policy" updates. Its the reason I deleted my profile.

Free shit comes at a price. Companies love to be all "we care about your data" at the beginning, everyone signs up and then barely anybody reads their policy updates when they start selling your shit for profit...because running gigantic websites costs money and has constant maintenance needs.

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
One of my buddies brings up a really good point. The age that we live in, WE are the products. Our society pretty much lives by the rule of "if it's free, you're the product." In my opinion, that's not healthy, there needs to be regulations somewhere. The hard part is what regulations and where. I'm not smart enough to start rambling on about what should or shouldn't be done.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
One of my buddies brings up a really good point. The age that we live in, WE are the products. Our society pretty much lives by the rule of "if it's free, you're the product." In my opinion, that's not healthy, there needs to be regulations somewhere. The hard part is what regulations and where. I'm not smart enough to start rambling on about what should or shouldn't be done.

right, it cartwheels into a morality issue really quickly even.

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
You act as if this is something new? It has been going on since the day Facebook was created, as well as other social media sites. Thats one way they make money, data-mining your information and selling it off to businesses for marketing and agenda pushing purposes.

I get a kick out of Facebook acting all shocked like they don't know this was happening. Likewise with them restricting accounts and suppressing people's posts. Facebook is a disease.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
I'd go look it up. That said, if you read through the privacy agreement it's probably there.

Naturally there's this stuff too:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/oct/02/facebook-sorry-secret-psychological-experiment-users

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/apps/news/a18837/facebook-has-been-intentionally-crashing-its-android-app-on-users/

I believe my wife was actually subjected to this one. She stopped using the app and started using her in phone browser instead. I mean, it was likely dozens of times in a day. She was about to throw the fucking phone it was so bad. Kind of amusing to me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info