Thoughts on in home summer daycare?

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
Hire a Nanny = moving up in the world or????

My wife and another parent from my youngest kids class asked us if we wanted to split the cost of a nanny for the summer. Each family has 2 kids.

The plan would be to cut the cost down for each family. Nanny wants $400 a week / $200 per family so works out to $100 per week per kid. and she is a UND Nursing student.

Pros:

-Nursing student should know basic emergency things.
-Cheaper than paying 1k a month to a regular daycare.
-Nanny is more flexible to bring our kids to summer activities such as soccer, swimming lessons, hockey camp in june, and baseball. (my kids will be in soccer and hockey camp at the very least.)

Cons:

In our home 2 weeks per month, alternating. 1 week other kids house then ours. We pay for groceries obviously when in our household and gas for summer activities.

My wife claims this next one to be a con I however dont, She a pretty young blonde nursing student....:rofl: :fy: :iough:

Anyone else had inhome child care or nanny for the summer?

Our kids hated the last daycare but we didnt have a better option at the time last summer. This seems like a good route at least at face value on paper.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Hire a Nanny = moving up in the world or????

My wife and another parent from my youngest kids class asked us if we wanted to split the cost of a nanny for the summer. Each family has 2 kids.

The plan would be to cut the cost down for each family. Nanny wants $400 a week / $200 per family so works out to $100 per week per kid. and she is a UND Nursing student.

Pros:

-Nursing student should know basic emergency things.
-Cheaper than paying 1k a month to a regular daycare.
-Nanny is more flexible to bring our kids to summer activities such as soccer, swimming lessons, hockey camp in june, and baseball. (my kids will be in soccer and hockey camp at the very least.)

Cons:

In our home 2 weeks per month, alternating. 1 week other kids house then ours. We pay for groceries obviously when in our household and gas for summer activities.

My wife claims this next one to be a con I however dont, She a pretty young blonde nursing student....:rofl: :fy: :iough:

Anyome else has inhome child care or nanny for the summer?

Our kids hated the last daycare but we didnt have a better option at the time last summer. This seems like a good route at least at face value on paper.

My wife and I don't need a nanny or anything, however, we did start looking at daycare for our oldest daughter (3 years old). Shit is so damn expensive. On top of that, we looked into babysitters for our 2 kids for when we want to have a date night. We have several in our neighborhood, and we ultimately decided on meeting and talking to this 19-year-old that lives in the neighborhood that has been babysitting for families for many years. All she charges is 10/hour. Can't say that that's a bad price.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Exactly I dont want to pay 1k a month to the damn daycare all summer then they are stuck there too.

I mean by the time I pay for groceries and a little gas here and there it may still approach that 1k mark but the kids getting to go do summer activities seems like it would be worth it anyways.

Seems like a pretty solid plan and worth a shot. The 2 youngest are in the same class and the other family has a girl in the grade ahead of my oldest. So 2 going into 1st grade, 1 going into 3rd one going into 4th. They are all close in age so I dont see how it would be an issue.

Im not much of a fan for big daycares either.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
$1400/month daycare for 2. Can’t wait until next year when our oldest starts school. My wife wanted us to look into in home care last year and I just don’t care for somebody being in my home. They get more social activity at daycare anyway.

So glad im not paying that! It be 800/mo plus whatever groceries some gas cash. Some of the expense is living in a small town but still want the kids to be in summer activities in Grand Forks which is 10 miles away and where my wife and I both work too.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Sorta unrelated but one of the things my wife and I have discussed is that once our babies are a little older we would start a daycare here at the house and maybe just have a couple kids that we would watch at a time just to make a little extra cash on the side. Right now she is just a stay at home mom and when you factor in that we aren't spending money on daycare, car, gas, eating lunch, tolls etc the margin of difference of having her work full time vs staying home was narrow enough to just keep her home. If you can swing something similar and then pick up a couple kids during the day as a daycare alternative it could make it worth while instead of putting your kids in a daycare somewhere else and having both parents work. Just food for thought.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Sorta unrelated but one of the things my wife and I have discussed is that once our babies are a little older we would start a daycare here at the house and maybe just have a couple kids that we would watch at a time just to make a little extra cash on the side. Right now she is just a stay at home mom and when you factor in that we aren't spending money on daycare, car, gas, eating lunch, tolls etc the margin of difference of having her work full time vs staying home was narrow enough to just keep her home. If you can swing something similar and then pick up a couple kids during the day as a daycare alternative it could make it worth while instead of putting your kids in a daycare somewhere else and having both parents work. Just food for thought.

We did that in the past when my wife moved with me out to Wash DC in 2014/2015 neither of my kids were in school then.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Legit; that's too cheap, you're 100% sure she understands that there are 4 kids...?

That's $10 an hour basically assuming she's not claiming tax on it, and assuming you are only using her for 8 hours a day.

If she's a student, I assume she has limited availability, and another job or another source of income (or lives at home).

That's cheaper than even the most hood-rat baby sitter I've heard off... Let alone a medical student.

@Miss_Esa can testify to this being egregiously too cheap, she has been in child care for over 7 years....

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
$200 a week for 4 kids? Enjoy the illegal you find. :rofl:

we have a in-home sitter/nanny for my little guy. shes here mon-fri, 9-5.
negotiated her to $300/week.

wife found her on care dot com, and ironically was also referred from a friend also.

My wife's cousin does/did in home daycare. I think right now she actually has the daycare at her house. It was easy for her since she watched their kids along with her son. IIRC she is about $300 a week as well, and IIRC she is also on care.com.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
$1400/month daycare for 2. Can’t wait until next year when our oldest starts school. My wife wanted us to look into in home care last year and I just don’t care for somebody being in my home. They get more social activity at daycare anyway.

Amen! Someone in your house snooping through your shit and eating all your food...no thanks.
My son starts soon next year but the after school program is $160+ and I have to find someone to watch him before. So looks like i'll still be out a fuck ton of money. Daycare is for us is 1700/month for 2. :cry:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info