Pedestrian bridge at Florida college collapses

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
According to an FIU press release, the 174-foot, 950-ton bridge was just installed "in a few hours" using "accelerated bridge construction" methods, which the university said "reduces potential risks to workers, commuters, and pedestrians and minimizes traffic interruptions."

Whoops.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
They said on the news it was 950 tons. 950 TONS. And it didn't appear to have any kind of center support. So I'm assuming it was a suspension setup of some sort?

That's horrible. I'm really curious to learn what the cause was because it seems like some basic engineering principals were overlooked here.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
950 ton bridge that is only like 150 feet long?.... You think there may have been a weight issue there?!?! I know there's some engineers on here who could probably answer that.

That is a shitload of stress on such a small bridge.

Too many unknown variables here to make even an educated assumption.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
They said on the news it was 950 tons. 950 TONS. And it didn't appear to have any kind of center support. So I'm assuming it was a suspension setup of some sort?

That's horrible. I'm really curious to learn what the cause was because it seems like some basic engineering principals were overlooked here.

Heard someone on one of the news channels say there were plans to add a center support after the bridge was in place, but don't know how much they were involved with the process to be able to say that as fact.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
It likely wasn't the engineering or the math but more the assembly of the bridge section itself. Definitely looking forward to see what really happened though. There was a center support that was supposed to have cables running across the entire section for support, but it still shouldn't have fallen if the design was done properly, I mean, could someone miss something THAT important? Like, wait a minute... weren't we supposed to put up a temporary support in the middle until it is completely finished? :obama:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info