Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Sounds like they are gonna liquidate all 800 stores. Not shocking...but man, that place was amazing as a kid. The massive lego isle. The video games you had to buy using a packing slip :rofl: Ah those were the days.

Toys R Us could close all 800 of its US stores - INSIDER

Toys R Us is preparing to potentially close all of its US stores after weak holiday sales thwarted its plans to restructure the business through bankruptcy proceedings, according to several media reports.

That means blowout liquidation sales at its roughly 800 stores could begin within a matter of weeks, according to Corali Lopez-Castro, a bankruptcy lawyer and managing partner at Kozyak Tropin and Throckmorton.

If the event of a liquidation, "Toys R Us is not going to want to drag this out," Lopez-Castro said.

The longer the stores stay open, the more rent Toys R Us will owe to its landlords.

The company would only need a few weeks to heavily advertise the sales before kicking them off, she said.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
ADLLhox.jpg

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
One of the things I noted, several years back when they completely revamped the interior of the store to make it brighter and more "user friendly" for parents, I think they lost their "mojo".

As a kid, I remember walking in the one side of the store, and you're first main row, which was as long as the eye could see, was the video games main section. Then the second row was usually your remote control vehicles, the third or fourth row as nothing but matchbox cars/hot wheels, car models. The next rows (4 or 5) were Star Wars, G.I. Joe, and any other action figures/toys. Then the middle rows of the store, were all the bikes, ride on stuff, etc. After that was all the girls stuff for multiple rows.

Granted, looking at this through kid goggles, the place was gi-normous. I would stand in that Star Wars aisle and not see the light at the other end. There was sooo much shit toy wise for them that I don't think I EVER made it through an entire row.

Fast forward to now. To get to the cool toys (the guy stuff), it's over to the far left, back in the corner, and the aisles are only a couple feet long. It just lost that overwheming "WOW" feel...

That and Wal-Mart did them in.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
It's a shame that kids growing up now won't get to experience the wonder of stepping into a giant toy store. Toys R Us used to be a "reward" store for good behavior or a place for Christmas/birthday shopping. As mentioned, there are few feelings like being a kid and walking into the store.

Surfing the internet isn't the same.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
You know what I blame... No more Saturday morning cartoons.

Hear me out.

Growing up, each of us got up, ran downstairs and watched Scooby-Doo, The Jetsons, Flintstones, Laff-a-Lympics, Justice league (or other superhero cartoon), Captain Caveman, etc, etc...

Every commercial break had... TOYS!!! So then you'd beg mom/dad for good behavior, Christmas wish lists (noting the pages in the Sears Catalog), or Birthday wish lists.

Now that no Saturday morning cartoons exist on the big 3 networks (at least anything you really want to watch anyway), no toy advertisments!

Now yes, you have Cartoon Network and Boomerang and even the Nick channels that have cartoons, but those cartoons tend to be targeted toward US, remembering all those Saturday morning times. The other thing is, even if the kids are watching, it's usually in later hours, and their attention span to it is very short because it isn't an electronic device.

Our kids, while watching TV have NEVER said "Mommy/Daddy, I want that..." Meaning Bryan referring to the latest Nerf gun, or Natalie wanting a Barbie doll or Easy Bake overn or something...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info