Anyone put up a reclaimed wall 'kit'?

Unitsn4

Regular
Mar 30, 2015
Looking to put this up on a wall ( I should say the wife is looking and she has volun-told me to knock it out):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FRKBAXI/?tag=tcg21-20

I was originally looking for the real deal, but that has been a challenge to find and when I do, it is very expensive. I am not so worried about them falling as I can also nail them in, but I am concerned with them twisting/warping.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
@RICH17vila what would you do

Use true 1x planks so it takes up more room and weighs more on the wall like a real man does! :bowrofl:

Just because it's thin or a veneer doesnt make it "fake wood" or anything, just saves weight while giving you the same look.

If I do a stone backsplash, I'm not going to use full size stone that weighs a ton, Im going to use a veneer type product.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
I was looking at Home Depot and saw these. Was thinking of putting these up on one wall in the garage. It's about $25 per carton. Each carton is about 10.5 sqft.

reclaimed-wood-barn-wood-boards-27862-64_1000.jpg

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-2-in-x-4-in-x-4-ft-Weathered-Hardwood-Board-8-Piece-27862/207078140

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
[MENTION=750]RICH17[/MENTION]vila what would you do
Easy, do pallet wood. pressure wash it clean, or just regular soap and water, let dry in the sun. Mix or buy stains, thin them out and go to town, or if you want aged grey then take 0000 steel wool and let it sit in vinegar for a couple weeks and use that as a grey stain

Use true 1x planks so it takes up more room and weighs more on the wall like a real man does! :bowrofl:

Just because it's thin or a veneer doesnt make it "fake wood" or anything, just saves weight while giving you the same look.

If I do a stone backsplash, I'm not going to use full size stone that weighs a ton, Im going to use a veneer type product.

the problem with the faux wood stuff us it's straight, has no nail holes, and is all the same thickness. Might as well just use wood wall paper. There's no real depth to the fake stuff.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
[MENTION=5218]cap42[/MENTION] is this similar to what you just didn

Correct just finished trimming it and hanging up all the shit my wife wanted.

IMG_1931.jpg

It’s from Home Depot, we choose the whitewashed version as our main floor is pretty small and the darker wood blended in with the floors making it seem smaller.

Used a 16 Gauge nailer and each board is on at least 2 studs.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Easy, do pallet wood. pressure wash it clean, or just regular soap and water, let dry in the sun. Mix or buy stains, thin them out and go to town, or if you want aged grey then take 0000 steel wool and let it sit in vinegar for a couple weeks and use that as a grey stain

the problem with the faux wood stuff us it's straight, has no nail holes, and is all the same thickness. Might as well just use wood wall paper. There's no real depth to the fake stuff.

wrong, The home depot kit is a pain because the boards vary in thickness and height so getting one row that has the same height was a pain in the ass. It's real wood, it has the saw serrations, knots and all sorts of "character or depth" the only thing missing is nail holes.

I know some of you were complaining about the cost, that wall in my previous post was just over $500, I did the math, buying even the cheapest wood cutting it down so each board worked + stain or paint and then having to do all the work to replicate what I bought in a box I still came out ahead not counting the time it would have taken to do all the extra work.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Use real reclaimed wood. Don't buy the overpriced "kits"

The only reason you can get it in a kit is because someone realized how much margin there was in this stuff, wrapped it up in a nice box and put it on the shelves of big box stores.

Go get your own wood like a damn man! Or buy some shrink wrap crap off the shelf. :s00ls:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

k

The Hidden Dangers of Pallet Wood | Weekly View

There are the obvious reasons to avoid a pallet; odors, excessive weight, stains where something has been spilled or too many twisted or rusted nails. Beyond that, there are some major safety issues that may require closer examination.
The first is the process used to treat the wood to fumigate it from insects. The wood will be marked either HT or MB. Heat treating (HT), is a process by which the wood is heated for 30 minutes to a minimum core temperature of 132.8 °F /56° C. Wood marked MB has been chemically treated using and methyl bromide. The use of methyl bromide was banned in 2005 by The International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC), which is a division of the Food and Drug Administration. However, there is still pallet wood out there that has been treated in this manner
If inhaled methyl bromide may case abdominal pain, dizziness, vomiting or loss of speech or coordination. If exposed to the skin, redness and blistering may occur. Always check for the markings determining the process used and DO NOT use wood marked MB.
Bacteria is another issue that must be dealt with. Always scrub each piece of wood with warm soapy water and bleach, rise, repeat and then allow to dry for at least 24 hours.
Some bacteria can become embedded in pallet wood. As a precautionary measure, never use the wood for anything food related like a picnic table or kitchen island. Raised herb and vegetable gardens are growing in popularity, but again be careful using pallet wood. Soil can soak up chemicals leaching from the wood causing a possible health hazard to your family. Never use pallet wood to build forts, playground equipment, furniture, sandboxes and other items for children as even projects that have been painted can still be dangerous. It is common for people to use whatever scrap wood is available for fire pits and bonfires. Under no circumstances should you burn pallet wood in your outdoor fires or in your fireplace.

Is Your Repurposed Wood Pallet Toxic? - Organic Authority

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info