Filing a home owner’s claim for new siding

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
So who here has filed an insurance claim to get new siding on your house? What are the cons? Increase in premiums? How much?

Last year, several companies were combing through the neighborhood after some hard storms. They would work with your insurance on filing a claim and getting damaged siding.

Why wouldn’t we want to do this? I’m sure the siding is the original from when the house was built in ’92. I’d have a hard time believing State Farm would give me any money to replace siding that is likely just worn/damaged from time. And part of me wouldn’t feel good about making the insurance replace siding that just old and not due to some major storm that came through the area.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
2 years ago I had the siding and roof repaired under home warranty claim. The siding was the original from 1989.

I thought getting the claims would raise my insurance, I didn't find out until later that it wasn't necessarily your own claims but those in your neighborhood that can also raise your rates. So if a storm came through and damaged your home along with your neighbors, and they are getting theirs fixed and your not... it will go up regardless.

My roof was less than 10 years old and looked fine but when my insurance company came to look at the siding, they also said the roof needed to be repaired.

What is also weird is if you switched insurance companies (I did) the claim is filled against whomever insured the house at that time not your current insurance company.

Get it done, just make sure you have a reputable repair company.

My home insurance went up about $250 a year total, it went up about half of that in the first year everyone else was getting their siding/roofs replaced and then it went up the other half the following year when I did mine along with about 12 other houses on my block.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
So who here has filed an insurance claim to get new siding on your house? What are the cons? Increase in premiums? How much?

Last year, several companies were combing through the neighborhood after some hard storms. They would work with your insurance on filing a claim and getting damaged siding.

Why wouldn’t we want to do this? I’m sure the siding is the original from when the house was built in ’92. I’d have a hard time believing State Farm would give me any money to replace siding that is likely just worn/damaged from time. And part of me wouldn’t feel good about making the insurance replace siding that just old and not due to some major storm that came through the area.

It depends on your insurance, your policy, and if they can match your siding. I had hail damage a few years ago and filed a claim. They would only fix the section that was damage, not the entire siding as they were able to match color and find the correct product as it was still manufactured. I took the money and fixed it myself.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
I filed a claim last year with my contractor, currently in the process of getting new siding and roof from hail and wind damage. We had a documented microburst sweep through last July and nearly everyone in my neighborhood got a new roof and/or siding through insurance claims. In your case, if its just old and shows normal wear/tear, I don't think they will authorize replacement :dunno:

So far, I haven't seen an increase in my premiums, will see when its all done. Even if my rates go up a few hundred/year I still think its worth it. Siding and a new roof is not cheap.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Not new siding, but a roof here a few years back. It was a few summers ago when we were getting hail like every other day it seemed. Well, the storm chasers came through giving free inspections and they of course found issues from hail. I laughed and said, "yea ok". Anyway, we told the storm chaser to "F-off", called State Farm and had THEM come out and inspect it. Sure as shit, they agreed there was hail/storm damage and pretty much gave us a blank check to have a roofing company come out and do it.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
state farm paid us out like $16k on a roof, gutters, soffits and fascia in 2014, after a hail storm. shortly after all the dust settled, we got a letter that they wanted to drop us unless we changed over to a 1% of dwelling replacement value deductible from the previous $1000 deductible. which was $2500 in my case.

then last spring state farm ended up dropping us for real due to amount of claims over xamount of years.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Filed mine in July, I am the last house in the neighborhood to get it done
All state still has yet to approve anything. They only wanted to approve 100 sq feet of roof and half the siding on the house. So for your sake I hope you don't have all state.
Still waiting...

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
state farm paid us out like $16k on a roof, gutters, soffits and fascia in 2014, after a hail storm. shortly after all the dust settled, we got a letter that they wanted to drop us unless we changed over to a 1% of dwelling replacement value deductible from the previous $1000 deductible. which was $2500 in my case.

then last spring state farm ended up dropping us for real due to amount of claims over xamount of years.

That is my primary concern, getting dropped. In all the 25+ years I've been with State Farm, I haven't filed more than two claims...and neither of them were major nor my fault.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood

We had State Farm when we 1st bought our house like 14 years ago.
2.5 years in to home ownership we had a really bad hail storm. Filed a claim as did 90% of the people on my block. We got new siding on house, garage and shed. They denied the roof, but everyone else got a new roof. Shortly after the siding was done, they dropped us for making a claim within the 1st 3 years of the policy.

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
So far, no hassle. The State Farm adjuster came out and verified the claim was valid. Now they're going to time travel back into 1992 to see if they can buy the exact same siding color/grain to bring back to 2018. If that fails, we'll likely get all new siding and gutters.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
About 15 years ago I backed into a corner piece of siding on my parent's house. This was legit aluminum siding from like 1967 and the damage consisted of maybe a 2" deep dent in about a 6" square area on the corner. They couldn't match it and ended up re-siding the entire house and the garage. No increase according to my mom. She really loved me that year. Asked if I could back into a window next.

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Jun 23, 2010
We had aluminum siding that got hail damaged. They could replace the damaged section or do the entire house in vinyl and insulate. We ended up doing the whole house with a new color. Was a lot quieter inside the house during a storm with the vinyl.

I’ve heard the best thing to do is make claims and switch insurance. New provider should be cheaper because you just had a major repair, rinse and repeat.

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
State Farm has approved the claim for all new siding, they could not find a replacement for the current siding. I'm happy we'll be able to get a more modern color on the house and the siding was kind of beat up after almost 30 years.

We'll see what happens to our rates.

I'll post some before/after pictures when it's all done. The quote was for $24k, I never thought it would cost that much. But at least we're only on the hook for the deductible.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info