If immortality existed, would you opt in?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
https://www.express.co.uk/news/scie...ex-robots-androids-virtual-reality-technology

Human beings on brink of achieving IMMORTALITY by year 2050, expert reveals

IMMORTALITY has been the regarded as mythology and science fiction for years but now human beings are close to defying death due to several major scientific breakthroughs which will give humans a plethora of choice on how to live forever by the year 2050, according to a top futurologist.

Dr Ian Pearson said human beings are very close to achieving immortality in a number of different ways, but only if you can make it to the year 2050.

Anyone who dies before then could be part of the last generation of humans to die of old age.

Dr Pearson said: "By 2050, it will only really be for the rich and famous.

"Most people on middle-class incomes and reasonable working-class incomes can probably afford this in the 2060s. So anyone 90 or under by 2060.

"If you were born sometime in 1970 onwards, that would make you 48 this year.

“So anybody under 50 has got a good chance of it, and anyone under 40 almost definitely will have access to this."

There are several ways in which people can live forever, such as renewing body parts.

This could be done in several ways, including genetic engineering that prevents or reverses the ageing of cells.

People may be able to replace vital body organs with new parts.

Scientists around the world are currently working on creating human organs using 3D printers loaded with living cells which could make organ transplants a thing of the past.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
I'm actually surprised this isn't even happening now.

What shocks me more is not being able to bring someone back from the dead, within a few mins of course...

And I'm out for immortality.... I can't imagine how much gayer this Earth will be even when I get to be elderly, if I unfortunately make it to then

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
As someone who is absolutely petrified of the notion of "the end", immortality is appealing to me....but as someone who also sees how the world is currently unfolding, I don't know that I would want to be a part of it forever...especially if all my friends and family are gone. The idea of space and the "new frontier" is extremely exciting but I dunno...what happens if there IS an afterlife? Would we be missing out by living forever? So many angles to look at this.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Yeah let me get old AF and watch all my friends and family die, then have to make new ones at age 80. No thanks.

This kind of immortality that requires a bunch of surgeries is not something i'd be interested in, but if there was a magic button that stopped my aging at 40 or 50...that I would consider. Think of how much you would see.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Some organs are only a part of the equation. I don't even see how this is going to be possible at all. Neurons degenerate and are unable to be repaired. I call bullshit. If they could regenerate brain tissue, your sense of self and memories would most definitely be altered.

Hypothetically speaking...I don't think I would want to live forever. Life wouldn't be as significant. Just like if you have infinite amounts of money. You could buy cool shit all the time, but obtaining money would be a lot less significant.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
As someone who is absolutely petrified of the notion of "the end", immortality is appealing to me....but as someone who sees how the world is currently unfolding, I don't know that I would want to be a part of it forever...especially if all my friends and family are gone. The idea of space and the "new frontier" is extremely exciting but I dunno...what happens if there IS an afterlife? Would we be missing out by living forever? So many angles to look at this.

That's the big thing for me too. What if there IS an afterlife? Is heaven/hell real? Is the afterlife eternal damnation? Is the afterlife 72 smoking-hot-just-got-my-new-ID-18 year old blonde, blue eyed, Norwegian virgins? What if it all just ends? And nothing?

Megan apparently has anxiety attacks that revolve around her fear of death (don't ask me, I don't know why either) but she is Catholic. Whatever "god" has in store for her, I'm sure she would say no to this as well.

However, my maniacal thinking and because I'm just so fucking awesome. Documenting humanity thousands, tens of thousands, millions of years into the future as well as the earth itself, would be fucking awesome. Do we really eventually leave earth? Is "the great filter" waiting for us? Can we become a type 2 civilization? All that stuff fascinates the absolute fuck out of me.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
As someone who is absolutely petrified of the notion of "the end", immortality is appealing to me....but as someone who also sees how the world is currently unfolding, I don't know that I would want to be a part of it forever...especially if all my friends and family are gone. The idea of space and the "new frontier" is extremely exciting but I dunno...what happens if there IS an afterlife? Would we be missing out by living forever? So many angles to look at this.

So this could get rather interesting, but if there is after life, what are you thinking it's like? Out of body? Spiritual, etc? It's super hard to picture what exactly happens after lights out..

Cause if you think of it just as 'lights out', what happens to your mind/conscience?

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
If this were to become somewhat commonplace by 2060 the world would probably collapse before 2100. With the low birth rate the average age would skyrocket, and basically everyone's money would go towards supporting people that should be dead.

Medicare....GONE...die or pay for your own treatment
social security....GFY...you're cut off at age 80
Pension....ES...you paid in for 30 years, that's all you'll get out of it

We'd probably have a crapton of 90+ year old politicians though

Bernie would still be running for prez at age 135

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Immortal? No. Forever is too long. Longer life? Depends on the quality of life. If I'm just going to be taking pills and replacing body parts for 200 years, and constantly in and out of surgery to maintain, count me out. I'll live out my human life; however long that may be, and then I'll die.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
So this could get rather interesting, but if there is after life, what are you thinking it's like? Out of body? Spiritual, etc? It's super hard to picture what exactly happens after lights out..

Cause if you think of it just as 'lights out', what happens to your mind/conscience?

I'm not a religious person at all and I dont necessarily believe in "god". But there is too much unexplained shit in life to not believe in the possibility of something. The afterlife, if it existed, in my mind would just be your consciousness living on. Free of the constraints of the body....where your consciousness would go, I havent a clue and choose not to think about. But if you think about all these things in life that have no explanation, cave drawings of shit decades in the future, science applied when said science didnt even exist yet....its hard not to believe that there is more going on beyond what we can just touch and see.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info