Flying First Class ? Out of O’Hare

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Way too vague of a post to give a good answer here. There are so many variables and particularly it depends on what route you're flying, what time of day, then airline, and finally aircraft to figure out if it's worth it.

Flying first class on a regional jet for less than 1000 miles is basically marginally better than coach and probably only a difference in a couple of hundred bucks. Most of these don't get meals either and if they do they are cold. Compared to flying a wide body aircraft across the US greater than 1,500 miles or internationally on a product like United Polaris, or Delta One... and that's a $9,000 ticket with lay flat beds and 3 plated meals.

It completely varies.

Last edited:

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Miami and Vegas. I just need a nice 1st class. I don’t wanna spend too much. I don’t need a hot meal or bed. Lol.

Agreed on American. They are a hub from Miami so lots of flight options. It’ll be standard first class on that route. Probably typical larger seats and as a plus it would have a meal service for distance (so hot towels, probably better food) Guessing A321 or 737 aircraft.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Miami and Vegas. I just need a nice 1st class. I don’t wanna spend too much. I don’t need a hot meal or bed. Lol.

well, why do you want it? even in it's cheapest form it's probably worth less than it costs, and it's normal form is actually pretty expensive. i don't know what is "too much" to you, but i've flown a lot, and it just doesn't seem worth the money to me. i think spirit prices it right with just paying extra for a big chair.

you are going far enough so that you'll get food. you'll get a nice spacious seat. you can drink. you could buy drinks in the back anyway though. you could also bring snacks on the flight, or food (i never do that) - or just eat in the food court at the airport. the food on planes isn't that great plus your sense of taste changes up there. it all kind of ends up being an overpriced novelty experience IMHO.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
random AA dates, i suppose i could consider some of these mentally tolerable by relative cost... in reality it's not something i would ever personally pay for though.

dZHuO9d.png

you lose flexibility with points (sometimes routing on domestics too) but first class is a lot more tolerable paying with them.

50k AA miles and $86. meanwhile 60k and $80 would also get you a one way business to japan though...

Knowklew

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 5, 2014
I have flown locally (continental) and been upgraded to "first class" on the puddle jumper jets, and while it is definitely nice compared to coach, I would never spend more than 100 dollars to do it as its just not worth it. International flights, it is almost a necessity to fly business or first class in my opinion.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
random AA dates, i suppose i could consider some of these mentally tolerable by relative cost... in reality it's not something i would ever personally pay for though.

dZHuO9d.png

you lose flexibility with points (sometimes routing on domestics too) but first class is a lot more tolerable paying with them.

50k AA miles and $86. meanwhile 60k and $80 would also get you a one way business to japan though...

id spend the extra ~150 there all day long and try to drink that in booze.

which, in airport drinks is like what?

8-9? :rofl:

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake

it's rarely only 100 more and the relative cost of that one in the middle makes it seem mentally tolerable... although i just wouldn't take that flight at all at that price, fuck that.

i have a 15k first class cathay suite on my return from bali, i wouldn't have spent the extra AA miles normally but it's supposed to be fancy and i'm AA rich, so i bit. my plan is to eat all the hoity toity fancy everything i can and probably find i don't like any of it lol. this is if my trip stays as scheduled, based on getting a new job i could be coming home as early as 2 weeks from now vs. in may when i'm scheduled to.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
it's rarely only 100 more and the relative cost of that one in the middle makes it seem mentally tolerable... although i just wouldn't take that flight at all at that price, fuck that.

i have a 15k first class cathay suite on my return from bali, i wouldn't have spent the extra AA miles normally but it's supposed to be fancy and i'm AA rich, so i bit. my plan is to eat all the hoity toity fancy everything i can and probably find i don't like any of it lol. this is if my trip stays as scheduled, based on getting a new job i could be coming home as early as 2 weeks from now vs. in may when i'm scheduled to.

i mean, the screenshot you posted shows the first class flight for the price i was saying.

if i had to fly those days id be on that flight first class for sure.

that's all.

wife and i are going to alaska first class over the summer.

thank god.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville

Still not worth it IMO. $150 each way is a lot of money extra to fly from Chicago to Miami, which is about 2 hours from wheels up to touchdown. I could fly Southwest round trip to Miami out of MDW for about the same price as the upgrade to first class. That leaves you a lot more money for beverages.

Domestic flights are so short and first class on domestic routes aren't anything special. Now if you are flying 8 hours to Hawaii our of ORD, I would pay the extra every time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info