Elon Musk Launching His Personal Tesla Roadster into Solar Orbit

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
The Falcon Heavy rocket is finally set to make its historic debut after seven years in development. You can watch the launch right here starting at 1:10 pm EDT.

Assuming everything goes smoothly today, SpaceX’s Falcon Heavy will become the most powerful operational rocket in the world, capable of delivering 140,000 pounds to Low Earth Orbit. Today’s launch window is between 1:30 pm EDT and 4:00 pm EDT. SpaceX’s live broadcast (below) starts at 1:10 pm EDT.

Update: At 12:02 pm, Musk tweeted: “Upper atmosphere winds currently 20% above max allowable load. Holding for an hour to allow winds to diminish.” Accordingly, SpaceX has bumped the launch to 2:20 pm EDT.

“The weather is looking good,” said SpaceX CEO Elon Musk at a news conference yesterday. “The rocket is looking good.” Should that change and the launch get canceled, SpaceX will try again tomorrow with the same launch window. The Falcon Heavy is currently sitting on Pad 39A at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

Armed with 27 Merlin engines, the Falcon Heavy will feature twice the launching power of any existing rocket. Its first stage consists of two Falcon 9 first-stage rockets, which are attached to a central “core” rocket, itself a modified Falcon 9 booster.

A dummy payload consisting of Musk’s personal Tesla Roadster sits up top in the cargo hold. With the radio repeatedly playing David Bowie’s “Life on Mars,” the shiny red Roadster will be placed in an elliptical orbit around the Sun at a distance that will take it as far out as Mars. The car is expected to stay in orbit for hundreds of millions of years, possibly even longer. To make it happen, the Falcon Heavy’s upper stage will coast for about six hours before firing its second stage for a third time. It’s a neat publicity stunt, but it’ll also demonstrate the rocket’s ability to send payloads directly to geostationary orbit.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BezcvpzAgYI/?utm_source=ig_embed

But that assumes the Roadster actually reaches space. There’s a real possibility that things could go horribly wrong today—it is a test launch, after all. Once aloft, the three main segments of the rocket could start to produce unanticipated vibrational resonances, causing the rocket to break apart. The central core should be able to handle these stresses, but we won’t know until this thing is in the air. Another bad possibility would see the rocket explode or crash near the launch pad, releasing the explosive energy equal to four million pounds of TNT. An explosion like that would wreck the launch pad and require months of repair work.

If the launch is successful, however, SpaceX says it’ll be ready to re-launch the Falcon Heavy in a few months, but with a paying customer. The rocket could enable larger satellites to be placed in orbit and allow for more ambitious projects in space, including larger robots on Mars and complex missions to Jupiter and Saturn.

But in a surprising about-face, Musk said yesterday that the Falcon Heavy will not be used to send astronauts into space. The Wall Street Journal reports that the CEO is shifting his attention to a larger space-transportation system called the Big Falcon Rocket (BFR for short) for that. This almost certainly means that SpaceX’s plan to send space tourists around the Moon and back later this year will not happen. The Falcon Heavy, we’re learning, will simply deliver large, heavy payloads to space.

:rofl:

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
So if the Tesla roadster he launched into space crashes into a satellite how is that handled through insurance claims. I want to see that insurance report.

Maybe he can have It deorbit right over North Korea so that it can crash into Kim Jong un and solve that problem for us.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Launching the car is genius.

First, Musk needed a payload for the rocket. The whole purpose of the flight is to prove Space X can put big loads into orbit. The successful takeoff was a good start. The simultaneous return of two boosters was amazing. The rocket is now sitting in the radioactive Van Allen Belt which messes with rocket electronics. After a specified time, it will be fired up to prove it can handle the belt. Then Musk is going to send it to orbit Mars.

Second, Musk wants to colonize Mars. He thinks BIG. Sending the car to another planet into orbit will prove he can do that, too.

Third, the showmanship of sending a car greatly increases the interest from the non space oriented common person It's good publicity.

Fourth, the thing used to create the publicity is a Tesla so it also publicizes his car company. Genius all around. MUCH better than launching a bunch of lead.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Have the government give you 4.9 billion taxpayer dollars, you too can start a rocket company and throw money away like it's nothing.

Tesla: Took government loan. Paid it back with interest... EARLY. Benefits indirectly from tax credits that are available to every automobile manufacturer.

Space X: Benefits from government money solely because it offers a service the government uses. Saves the government BILLIONS of dollars compared to what they used to pay for the same services.

I mean Space X is not subsidized by the government. It was started by Elon with Elon's money and it almost bankrupted him, as did Tesla in it's infancy. It was until it was clear that Space X had a good chance at success that they got a government contract. Not free seed money from the government mind you... but a contract to render services for a fee.

You're passing on stuff as fact that's so easily refutable that it's clear you have some axe to grind. But why? Did an eccentric billionaire touch you in the no-no spot when you were a kid? I mean, there's so much legitimate criticism that can be hurled at Tesla, none of which you ever use. Instead you just grab this nonsense clickbait stuff and clutch to it because it agrees with your point of view.

Keep on keeping on I guess.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I wish I had unlimited fuck around money.

Wanna hear a fun story? No? Ok! Elon lives in Bel Air and has to take the busiest freeway in the country (the 405) south to the 105 to Hawthorne where Space X and Tesla's design center are located. He's famously bitched about traffic, go so far as to say he'd donate some of his personal money to help fix the situation on the 405 because the 405 is where souls go to die.

So along comes the boring company and Elon's first order of action is to dig a hole from the parking garage across the street to Space X. Success. Then he got permission to dig to LAX. Awesome. Now he's trying to get permission to bore a test tunnel from the 105 north along the 405 to Bel Air. I mean this all seems normal right? But even if they spend billions and the test tunnel is eventually deemed to be nothing but a pipe dream (haha) it will benefit at least one person:

lYqQzGd.jpg

That's right. Should the boring company project stop dead in it's tracks after the test tunnel is dug, a single person would have dug himself a personal transport tunnel across one of the busiest cities in the world from his home to his office.

Fuck scissor doors. Personal tunnels are where it's at.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
This shit was fucking amazing to watch. It's like we're living in a sci-fi movie these days.

That said, yeah the government gave him Billions to do this. God knows what they'd have spent to do it. I would imagine it would be way more. Look at the way their standard MIC Aerospace vendors build shit and bill it to them. $5BN is cheap if you look at flaming wrecks like the F35.In reality I'd rather have Tesla's people do a lot of the engineering it seems like it would be of substantial savings.

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
well yes and no. This big lift rocket will enable us to get a few big projects we have up there to actually clean the mess up (decomission/recycle debris) and avoid the cascade that the chinese seem hellbent on sending us all into.

Sorry, Kessler cascade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kessler_syndrome

i ment specifically putting the car into orbit.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
well yes and no. This big lift rocket will enable us to get a few big projects we have up there to actually clean the mess up (decomission/recycle debris) and avoid the cascade that the chinese seem hellbent on sending us all into.

Sorry, Kessler cascade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kessler_syndrome

Honestly, the car shouldn't have any effect reading that since they're shooting it towards Mars. That's stuff in low earth orbit.

That said, I'll be excited when we see space manufacturing. I think that's gonna be the real future.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info