Cam question

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
For cars that have a bigger cam it it, why is it so hard to start when it's cold??

Carbed or EFI?

Carbed is most likely pig rich, and the carb not responding to idle mixture changes quickly enough. Cold air and fuel does not vaporize well so it doesn't burn well until the engine gets some heat in it.

EFI is a lot better, but the problems are still there. Needs more idle tuning at that point. Perhaps the IAC tables need adjustment to add more airflow. I know that on my LT1 I needed to drill the IAC passage hole larger to add more air. Then I had to retune the IAC tables to reduce the airflow. The large bleed hole allowed more air through, and less IAC steps were needed. Aka, increased base airflow was required to solve Split BLM issues. The engine kept seeing a huge split where it was super rich then super lean.

Large duration cams relative to their displacement have poor intake charge velocity and have enough overlap that the intake charge doesn't completely evacuate. Its why their low-end torque is so abysmal compared to a more mildly cammed car.

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
Mine is efi, but I had to start it 4 times and give it gas so it wouldn't die. It died on me 3 times. The guy down the street has a sweet ass GTO. 69 I think, and I can hear it from my house when he starts it and let it run in the garage. Sometimes I can even hear him yell FUCK because it dies so much.

I was just wondering

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Mine is efi, but I had to start it 4 times and give it gas so it wouldn't die. It died on me 3 times. The guy down the street has a sweet ass GTO. 69 I think, and I can hear it from my house when he starts it and let it run in the garage. Sometimes I can even hear him yell FUCK because it dies so much.

I was just wondering
What cam do you have? I assume this is the 3800

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I started my ST5 cam'd E85 GTP when it was 22° outside and it started and ran just fine. If it's on pump 93 and having starting issues it's 100% in the tune, OR it could be shitty injectors, but it's probably not. I would expect shit like this from that place because they just do what they do, they don't go out of their way for anything that doesn't put money in their pocket. They probably put a generic ass safe tune in the car and left everything else alone, including cold start tables/timing.

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
In the 3800 world, the biggest hacks IMO are the ZZP people. They just don't give a shit about anyone but themselves. If you have deep pockets they'll go out of their way for you, but if you ask them how much something costs, fuck anything else they're going to do for you.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
In the 3800 world, the biggest hacks IMO are the ZZP people. They just don't give a shit about anyone but themselves. If you have deep pockets they'll go out of their way for you, but if you ask them how much something costs, fuck anything else they're going to do for you.
I had their mail order tune. Was no bueno.

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
I think they did a good job with the tuning. My car kept dieing from the cam when it lopes at the right time if you gave it gas when it was at the bottom part of the lope it would die every time. They raised it a bit and fixed that. They got me 309whp when they took me off E85. I was 367.

BUT- they made several mistakes that ended up costing me in the end. The heads they put on had a sealing issue in the valve or something like that. Yeah they fixed it under warranty, but I had to ship the car back to them to avoid damage to the motor. And no compensation was given so it sucked.

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
hack ass? ok i must have been out of it for a while, I thought zzp where the good guys, intense were the ass hats, and the wbody store was a good place.

My experience was 180° they other way. (Just buying parts online though, no service work.)

For example, when I bought a Meziere 3800 flexplate, ZZP and Intense both described it as fitting the L67. In reality, it's not drilled for the L67 torque converter. After contacting both, Intense updated their website, ZZP's is still wrong. They also listed it as in stock, but it took weeks to arrive.

I always regretted buy from ZZP and the W-body store.

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I think they did a good job with the tuning. My car kept dieing from the cam when it lopes at the right time if you gave it gas when it was at the bottom part of the lope it would die every time. They raised it a bit and fixed that. They got me 309whp when they took me off E85. I was 367.

BUT- they made several mistakes that ended up costing me in the end. The heads they put on had a sealing issue in the valve or something like that. Yeah they fixed it under warranty, but I had to ship the car back to them to avoid damage to the motor. And no compensation was given so it sucked.

That's the BUT I am talking about. They fucked something up and you still had to pay the price, if you were putting real money in their pockets I'm sure they would have handled it differently.

BTW, it's easy to tune the WOT areas to get 367whp, the real tuning is getting the car to run correctly everywhere else.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info