Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I'd be interested to know a broad consensus on why people are leaving. Like Maine. The fuck? What's in Maine? Trees and logging? Yet it had an ingress of people? ALASKA? Don't get me wrong I'd totally move there too but... wat?

Well the graphic isnt really saying how MANY are going or coming, so maybe high inbound to alaska is like...100 people :rofl:

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I'd be interested to know a broad consensus on why people are coming/going. Like Maine. The fuck? What's in Maine? Trees and logging? Yet it had an ingress of people? ALASKA? Don't get me wrong I'd totally move there too but... wat?

Well, come May/June, my mother is retiring and I am moving her out to Portland, Maine. My Sister and her family live out there. My sister is a Registered Nurse, they have a spare home out there where she can live (next door basically), and her being an RN, she can take care of my mother as she ages. I just cannot do it with the hours I work and neither can my Wife. We basically just went through this a couple of years ago with my Grandmother in her final years and it flat out wore us out both physically and emotionally. My Wife WAS a tremendous help as she is in the medical field also, but I'm the one that had to make the necessary decisions.

So there is one reason people are moving out and going to... Maine... :jg:

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
After leaving Illinois I can't think of one compelling reason to return. The people are nice but the taxes are shit, the roads are shit, the scenery is shit, the weather is shit, the bugs are shit, even when it's nice in the summer it's still miserable because of the humidity. And that's a bit unsettling because it's where all of my family and most of my friends are. So if I ever want to return to my friends and family I'll be miserable for a litany of reasons or I can live some place nice and be separated from them.

What were the origins of Chicago as a business hub? Was it the railroad? Just the fact that it was in the center of the country?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Full article

https://www.atlasvanlines.com/migration-patterns

How is a state classified?
Each state's or province's status is determined by its threshold value, which is the total number of shipments multiplied by 0.55 (i.e., in a state with 100 moves, at least 55 must be outgoing to be considered outbound). All other states or provinces in which outbound or inbound numbers don't exceed the threshold are classified as balanced. Canadian interprovincial and cross-border (from the U.S. to Canada) shipments are both referenced in the study. International moves indicate both states and countries that Atlas World Group International sent the most shipments to from international origin countries in 2017.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
The more important thing is not just the individuals that are leaving or coming to a state, but the salaries and wealth that are leaving. In Illinois you do have more people leaving than coming into the state but when you actually look at the people coming and going it's the earners that are leaving the state of Illinois while the ones coming in are lower income. Thats going to have a huge effect on property values on expensive houses and overall tax revenue for the state. Just looking at the numbers of people is only part of the story

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
After leaving Illinois I can't think of one compelling reason to return. The people are nice but the taxes are shit, the roads are shit, the scenery is shit, the weather is shit, the bugs are shit, even when it's nice in the summer it's still miserable because of the humidity. And that's a bit unsettling because it's where all of my family and most of my friends are. So if I ever want to return to my friends and family I'll be miserable for a litany of reasons or I can live some place nice and be separated from them.

What were the origins of Chicago as a business hub? Was it the railroad? Just the fact that it was in the center of the country?

The one thing you are missing that makes Chicago/Illinois great (i agree about why Illinois sucks..)... We have freshwater that we can drink... and a fuck ton of it!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info