Kids these days and their music

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
When I was a young lad you found new music by listening to the radio. You'd hear a song you like and that would be a supporting single for a yet to be released album. You might get another single released before the actual album but generally it was a single or two and then a few months later the album would drop.

Now, they're releasing single after single after single. At first it wasn't so bad. You'd get 4 or 5 singles and then another 5 or 6 new songs when the rest of the album was released but now with two bands I like, almost the entire album was released in the form of singles so that by the time the albums dropped you got 7 songs you already know and are tired of and then maybe another 3 new songs. It makes it hard to listen to an album as one piece of work because I find myself skipping over the songs I already know.

WTF BBQ Sauce?

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Even XM/Sirius has turned into shit. Must have heard the same 4 songs on a 20 minute loop going up to the UP.

The music I listen to (mainly metal) never seems to disappoint in the way you describe. You'll hear a single or two then get a full 10-12 track album and everything is good. It has a LOT to do with what genre you listen to though. :rofl:

Hell, half the time I didn't even know one of my favorite bands released a new album and there wasn't even any singles, it just got released.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
When I was a young lad you found new music by listening to the radio. You'd hear a song you like and that would be a supporting single for a yet to be released album. You might get another single released before the actual album but generally it was a single or two and then a few months later the album would drop.

Now, they're releasing single after single after single. At first it wasn't so bad. You'd get 4 or 5 singles and then another 5 or 6 new songs when the rest of the album was released but now with two bands I like, almost the entire album was released in the form of singles so that by the time the albums dropped you got 7 songs you already know and are tired of and then maybe another 3 new songs. It makes it hard to listen to an album as one piece of work because I find myself skipping over the songs I already know.

WTF BBQ Sauce?

I am willing to wager part of the reason stuff drops as singles is you're not bound to the album paradigm and instead can purchase tracks at .99 each. They figured out by slow dropping an album a piece at a time they get more ".99s"

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Kids these days will never appreciate sitting with a good boom box cranked as you are recording music from the radio on to the cassettes. The hours put in.

Also - Columbia House. Send them a penny and you got 10 cassettes. Then you had to buy buy “X” many more.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
The music industry is shit. No one plays instruments or sings live and plays. It’s all garbage.
Maybe pop music, but there’s plenty of talented musicians out there if you try. One of my favorites is Mark Sultan. He plays the guitar, sings and drums all at once. He also does a lot of work with some other great people.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Kids these days will never appreciate sitting with a good boom box cranked as you are recording music from the radio on to the cassettes. The hours put in.

Also - Columbia House. Send them a penny and you got 10 cassettes. Then you had to buy buy “X” many more.

I remember Columbia house, when we got our first CD player thats how we got a TON of music half of which we didn't like. Good old 5 disc table top changer.

As far as the single bit? I read a article somewhere where they claimed that the digital revolution (iTunes, Amazon....) has killed the album. Because its so easy to just buy the songs you like, Artists no longer put effort into curating an album for a complete play through. This author also waxed nostalgia about Records and how he/she would listen start to finish.

I think its less to due with Artists curating an entire album, and more to with the fact that if Artists could have sold music then like its sold now they would have done it. Because the singles sold generate more revenue than an entire album together would.

I can agree that on many of the albums I have, the songs aren't arranged in a way that each one leads into the next, so it doesn't encourage me to listen to the entire album. However, a few of them are arranged that way, and I do enjoy listening to them start to finish.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
I remember Columbia house, when we got our first CD player thats how we got a TON of music half of which we didn't like. Good old 5 disc table top changer.

As far as the single bit? I read a article somewhere where they claimed that the digital revolution (iTunes, Amazon....) has killed the album. Because its so easy to just buy the songs you like, Artists no longer put effort into curating an album for a complete play through. This author also waxed nostalgia about Records and how he/she would listen start to finish.

I think its less to due with Artists curating an entire album, and more to with the fact that if Artists could have sold music then like its sold now they would have done it. Because the singles sold generate more revenue than an entire album together would.

I can agree that on many of the albums I have, the songs aren't arranged in a way that each one leads into the next, so it doesn't encourage me to listen to the entire album. However, a few of them are arranged that way, and I do enjoy listening to them start to finish.

Pretty much. Kids these days will play Dark Side of the Moon one day and be totally blown away by how cohesive the album is.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
get+off+my+lawn.jpg

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Am i the only one that doesn't even know when new albums come out? I only ever care about singles. If you're getting your music online why does the album matter? Just download the songs as they come out.

When I was a kid i hated having to buy an entire album just to listen to 2 or 3 songs I liked.

I'm 29 BTW, since age definitely plays a factor in how people listen to music

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Am i the only one that doesn't even know when new albums come out? I only ever care about singles. If you're getting your music online why does the album matter? Just download the songs as they come out.

When I was a kid i hated having to buy an entire album just to listen to 2 or 3 songs I liked.

I very much prefer album level composition to singles, but don't like bands that throw a couple really good songs on an album and the rest are crap. AC/DC comes to mind for me on this.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008

Largely I agree which is likely why music is released in this way now but for bands that I really like, I like to get a full album to listen to versus getting a song here and there. For example, the first single off the Fall Out Boy album released last week dropped in April 2017. So 9 months of singles every 6 weeks or so.

There's certain albums that are better to listen to as a single piece of work. OK Go's 2010 album: "Of the Blue Colour of the Sky" is a great example. Same with the album Beck just released and older Fall Out Boy too.

Unfortunately the new Fall Out Boy kind of sucks and it's just a mishmash of different sounds and styles. So there isn't really any flow to be had. But on good albums this is something that I miss.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info